Suggestions on buying a sub in canada? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am incredibly jealous of those of you who live in the states for your speaker selection. Does anyone know where and what to buy in canada? I'm looking for a good deal but I would like to spend under $400. Currently I am looking at buying an f-12 for $290 shipped. Does anyone else have another suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Hi, I am even further then you, I am in another continent and I wait for a training course to come in the US to be able to do some electronics shopping. But since you are in canada, you shouldnt really envy them much smile.gif online shops are abundant and have good prices and shipping to Canada shouldnt be that much expensive. I am as well looking for a sub in the same price range as you are but I am leaning to pay a little more and get the Kilpsch RW12. I think it can be bought for the USD 400 range (or maybe less) inclusive of shipping!
post #3 of 23 Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You could look into the Dayton subwoofers (sub 800, sub 1000, sub 1200) from Solen.ca.
Depending on where you are in Canada it might be cheaper than shipping them from parts-express.com or amazon.com.

Sonic boom audio is another good option if you wanted the best value, but the cheapest subs there are 500$ and shipping to most places looks to be around 40-50$.

I decided on the the Diy route because of the high prices in Canada. If you wanted to save some money that might be a way to do it.
post #4 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

How long did it take to build? Which ones did you get?

Thanks.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak_20 View Post

Hi, I am even further then you, I am in another continent and I wait for a training course to come in the US to be able to do some electronics shopping. But since you are in canada, you shouldnt really envy them much smile.gif online shops are abundant and have good prices and shipping to Canada shouldnt be that much expensive. I am as well looking for a sub in the same price range as you are but I am leaning to pay a little more and get the Kilpsch RW12. I think it can be bought for the USD 400 range (or maybe less) inclusive of shipping!

I would do that, where can I get the Kilpsh for $400?
post #6 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Check the online shops such as amazon, newegg, and the like. You might find a good price with shipping.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM

Liked: 28
Out of stock now, but looks like it's almost exactly $400 with shipping. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw-12d&IsVirtualParent=1

It's $280 with coupon on the .com site, but I doubt they'll ship to Canada since they have a .ca version of their site.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

I think I have looked "everywhere" and cannot the rw's for under $500, Looks like I will either buy the f-12 or the pb1000. Is the pb with the $200 extra?
post #9 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn View Post

Out of stock now, but looks like it's almost exactly $400 with shipping. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw-12d&IsVirtualParent=1

It's $280 with coupon on the .com site, but I doubt they'll ship to Canada since they have a .ca version of their site.

Ya they do not ship to Canada It is stupid how the dollar is the same price however speakers are $150 more. How is the sw-112 in comparison? I can buy those at futureshop for $450 with a price comparison.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotimizer View Post

Ya they do not ship to Canada It is stupid how the dollar is the same price however speakers are $150 more. How is the sw-112 in comparison? I can buy those at futureshop for $450 with a price comparison.

Never heard it, but everything from the specs to the smaller enclosure suggests that it's inferior to the RW-12D. Can you wait until the RW-12D is back in stock at Newegg.ca?
post #11 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't finished my sub yet, and I might switch to something smaller with better drivers than I was originally planning to build.
A relatively easy option for Diy is to build a sonotube enclosure.
If you keep the enclosure diameter within a couple inches of the driver, you might be able find mdf speaker rings/baffles that would bridge the gap. It might be difficult to create an air-tight seal using the mdf rings though.

You could also ship one of the pre-cut enclosures + driver deals from parts-express, it might be cheaper than shipping an assembled subwoofer:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-7098
They don't include cut-outs for plate amps though, and you would want at least a 15" sealed or very powerful 12" to gain any benefit over the Dayton Sub-1200.

The Bic f12 isn't worth 280$ and the Sw112 isn't worth 450$.
The Dayton Sub 1200 is a well reviewed alternative to the Bic f12, and it can be had for less than 200$ from Solen.ca (after shipping) and possibly less (depending on shipping) from parts-express.com
The Svs Pb-1000 is a step above the Klipsch rw-12d in performance, and it sells for the same price in both the U.s and Canada. It is a very capable sub, and is well worth saving for.
You might be able to get closer to budget with a 15" diy sealed sonotube sub though.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 485
lobotomizer, IMO rather than trying to chase down deals on subs, you should save up and get the PB-1000. It's a well-rated sub, with a good warranty, from a well-respected company; and their Canadian distributor, sonicboomaudio.com , has a good customer service reputation.

That said, you can always check out canuckaudiomart.com for good deals on gently-used subs. And if you find one that fits your budget and happens to be in your area, you have the option of demo-ing before you buy.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your help I will be buying the PB-1000, I am spending $300 more than I hoped to but this sub should be sweet. I am hooking it up to a computer. Will I need an amp? Is this sub-woofer worth while when I am using desktop speakers?
Is it possible for me to talk svs down to a specific price?
post #14 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks all for your help I will be buying the PB-1000 ...
Cool. cool.gif
Quote:
I am hooking it up to a computer. Will I need an amp?
You don't need an amp for the sub - it's active (self-powered), so you just need to send it a signal.
Quote:
Is this sub-woofer worth while when I am using desktop speakers?
If by "is it worth while" you mean "will it provide the kind of output and extension that my desktop speakers could only dream of", my answer is "Yes!" smile.gif
Quote:
Is it possible for me to talk svs down to a specific price?
I don't believe so. Internet-direct companies generally don't haggle on price. But some do offer discounts on multi-unit or repeat purchases. (SBA offers 5% off, IIRC.)
post #15 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Never heard it, but everything from the specs to the smaller enclosure suggests that it's inferior to the RW-12D. Can you wait until the RW-12D is back in stock at Newegg.ca?
I could but it will be $450 with shipping and tax compared to the PB-1000 that is $570 with shipping and tax
post #16 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

What kind of desktop speakers do you have? If you have some high quality bookshelf speakers and you use the computer to watch movies or for listening to music then it could be worthwhile.

On the other hand, if you have cheap store brand pc speakers like Creatives or Logitechs, and your using the computer for light gaming, you might want to buy something a little more suited to the situation.

The Svs Pb-1000 is a quality home theater subwoofer. Not really something you want to match with speakers that can't keep up.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

What kind of desktop speakers do you have? If you have some high quality bookshelf speakers and you use the computer to watch movies or for listening to music then it could be worthwhile.

On the other hand, if you have cheap store brand pc speakers like Creatives or Logitechs, and your using the computer for light gaming, you might want to buy something a little more suited to the situation.

The Svs Pb-1000 is a quality home theater subwoofer. Not really something you want to match with speakers that can't keep up.
I have better than average sony speakers ($200 ones, 50w)
post #18 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotimizer View Post

I have better than average sony speakers ($200 ones, 50w)

That doesn't sound too promising. Is it something like this? If so, I would seriously consider a pair of good bookshelf speakers to pair with your sub. I don't know the exact speakers you have, but if this model is any indication, they are likely going to be severely underpowered, and the satellites for this specific model don't play below 250hz, which means you'll have a gap between 250hz and the upper end of what the PB-1000 can play.

At the very least (if bookshelf speakers are either too big or too expensive), pick up some satellites from the Klipsch Promedia series. The ones from the Promedia 5.1 Ultra in particular are very nice and play down to 100hz.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That doesn't sound too promising. Is it something like this? If so, I would seriously consider a pair of good bookshelf speakers to pair with your sub. I don't know the exact speakers you have, but if this model is any indication, they are likely going to be severely underpowered, and the satellites for this specific model don't play below 250hz, which means you'll have a gap between 250hz and the upper end of what the PB-1000 can play.

At the very least (if bookshelf speakers are either too big or too expensive), pick up some satellites from the Klipsch Promedia series. The ones from the Promedia 5.1 Ultra in particular are very nice and play down to 100hz.
My speakers are good, not like an audiophiles but I like them more than all my friends computers set up

post #20 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM

These are definitely a lot more than what comes to mind when you said "desktop speakers", so I think you're good to go. Those woofers look like they're around 4", which should enable you to set cross over at 80hz to your sub.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update for anyone who is subbed, the subwoofer shipped out yesterday(the day it was ordered) and I was given a refund of $24 on the shipping bringing my total with taxes to $550 a great deal compared to the US. Shipping is set to arrive on tuesday (three days after it was ordered)
post #22 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Very cool, and congrats! cool.gif Looking forward to your thoughts on it. smile.gif
post #23 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Oh and now the agonizing wait until Tuesday smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Dayton Audio Sub 1000 10 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page