Sub enclosure tuing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Chriscake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a !.4 cuft sealed box with an 8 year old 12" European 4ohm sub. I want to port the box to get some lower notes. I don't expect miracles but would like to know the optimum frequency to tune the box to and what the optimum port width should be for that volume enclosure.
Chris
Chriscake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You would need the TS parameters of the subwoofer driver, in order to compute the diameter and length of the port. There are free softwares that does the computing for you like REW. Without the TS parameters your shooting blind
qguy is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

There are free softwares that does the computing for you like REW.
WinISD, not REW, which is room response measurement software.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Chriscake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. Will come in handy when I decide to build a 'real' box. For right now though, I think I am 'shooting blind'.The sub is a 10 year old 4ohm 12 incher that was overpriced when I bought itin Spain some 10 years ago For 40 Euros. There is no longer any info of that manufaturer or make and model on the internet. What I would really appreciate, is an educated guess basd on experience. I think the main challenge is porting a 1.4 cuft box for a 12" sub. So might a 2" port perform any better than a 3" and then what might be a half decent frequency to tune it to. I realy don't expect miracles.
Chris
Chriscake is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscake View Post

What I would really appreciate, is an educated guess basd on experience. I think the main challenge is porting a 1.4 cuft box for a 12" sub. So might a 2" port perform any better than a 3" and then what might be a half decent frequency to tune it to.
Without T/S specs on the driver one can't even make a guess.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscake View Post

Thanks for the info. Will come in handy when I decide to build a 'real' box. For right now though, I think I am 'shooting blind'.The sub is a 10 year old 4ohm 12 incher that was overpriced when I bought itin Spain some 10 years ago For 40 Euros. There is no longer any info of that manufaturer or make and model on the internet. What I would really appreciate, is an educated guess basd on experience. I think the main challenge is porting a 1.4 cuft box for a 12" sub. So might a 2" port perform any better than a 3" and then what might be a half decent frequency to tune it to. I realy don't expect miracles.
Chris

Without the T/S parameters you are groping in the dark. Alternatively, you can buy DATS (Dayton Audio Testing System) and determine the T/S parameters for the said driver;

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DATS-Test-System/dp/B007Q2NRU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373732672&sr=8-1&keywords=dayton+audio+test+system

but knowing that you bought that sub for $40, spending an extra $100 to know its T/S parameters isn't worth it. I reckon you can buy some really nice used driver on eBay for that kind of money and then we can start from there. Otherwise, it's all waste of effort and time.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off