Subwoofer positions - rough starting point - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Subwoofer positions - rough starting point

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

mbkintner's Avatar mbkintner
09:50 PM Liked: 11
post #1 of 5
07-09-2013 | Posts: 146
I'm in the process of finishing my basement. One of the rooms will be a multi-purpose room (HT, card table, bar, pool table, etc.). Drywall will be going up in the next few weeks. REW or similar will be used to fine tune location and the AVR will likely be a Denon 4520 so Audyssey will be used once in place. That said, I'd like to get recommendations on starting locations for the sub positions. If the recommended starting points are far away from my existing cable drops I will make adjustments to the cabling before the drywall goes up. Relevant facts are below.
  • The room is roughly 17' x 43' with 8' ceilings.
  • The room is open to a ~130 square foot foyer that opens to a stairwell that opens to the upstairs (so yeah......pretty open)
  • Each of the 43' walls has a soffit along its length that is roughly 18" tall and 24" wide.
  • The HT area of the basement is roughly 13' x 17'.
  • Seating position will be ~12' from speakers/TV.
  • Subwoofers I'm considering are (SVS PB13-Ultra, PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive HP). I'll likely start with one and and a second at a later date.

I've attached a floor plan with markings for the HT area showing the current sub cable drops, seating position, and TV/LCR location. The rest of the room will be for the bar, card table, etc.

Questions are:
  • What position would you recommend as a good starting location for the subs? REW or similar will be used to fine tune. I'll do the sub crawl too but would like the groups thoughts to get me started. Keep in mind I will likely start with one sub and add the second at a later date.
  • Should I add/move the cable drops?
  • Any thoughts on the subwoofer choices mentioned above? This is a really large room so part of me leans towards the PB13-Ultra but the Submersive is calling my name.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike
steve nn's Avatar steve nn
07:40 AM Liked: 428
post #2 of 5
07-10-2013 | Posts: 6,207
I would try placement 1 and 3 first myself. Orientate the driver in different directions in each location and see what you come up with. (measure) Don’t rule out placement 2 until you know for sure though. That’s one big room.. you're definitely on the rite track considering dual when the time comes.

EDIT> Don’t be afraid of orientating the driver towards the back of the room when considering measured options.
07:10 PM Liked: 11
post #3 of 5
07-10-2013 | Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I would try placement 1 and 3 first myself. Orientate the driver in different directions in each location and see what you come up with. (measure) Don’t rule out placement 2 until you know for sure though.

I'll definitely fine tune with measurements. My main concern now is making sure that the three drops I have in place cover (in general) the most likely starting positions. If they don't, I'll add more before the drywall goes up. I really don't want to string cable across the room to make up for poor positioning of my inwall cable runs.
Quote:

That’s one big room.. you're definitely on the rite track considering dual when the time comes.

You're not kidding. It's big enough that when the kids were younger they'd ride there bike in it during the winter. I definitely think duals will be needed and I'm not sure that's even enough. That's part of the reason I'm considering the ported SVS over the sealed Seaton. Although from everything I've read the Submersive still has massive output.

The size of the room does bring up a question in my mind. With a room that size is it possible to reach a noticeable level of pressurization without hitting a volume that is unbearable? I know enough to be dangerous from reading the forums but am not sure I'm clear on what correlations exist (or don't exist) between pressurization and volume.
Quote:

EDIT> Don’t be afraid of orientating the driver towards the back of the room when considering measured options.

Do you mean facing towards the seating position when you say back of the room?

Thanks Steve.

Mark Seaton's Avatar Mark Seaton
01:02 PM Liked: 321
post #4 of 5
07-12-2013 | Posts: 6,085
Hi Mike,

Quick thought... The room isn't as overly large as the depth suggests. I can tell you a 16' wide x 8' tall room of say 24' depth with a nearly open back wall is much easier to drive than a 24' x 28' room which is similar open space to what you have. The long depth often ends up helping minimize the length mode problems, while the narrow width and reasonable seating distance isn't as demanding as a larger, more square room. You will still certainly see gain in the lower frequencies, but ultimately with the gain not increasing quite as fast until the very lowest frequencies (ie below 10-12Hz).

There can be exceptions, but in a long room such as yours, it's often preferred to keep the subwoofer against the front wall as with position #2.
07:13 PM Liked: 11
post #5 of 5
07-12-2013 | Posts: 146
Mark,

Thanks for the input. I couldn't ask for a better source given my desire for a Submersive. If position #2 ends up the best for one Submersive what do think adding second will meaning for placement? Since the room size doesn't seem to be as big an issues as the dimensions suggest what is your general thoughts on 1 sub versus 2?

Mike
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread