my hsu died, what now? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Maybe I missed it, but what is your room size? Ceiling, openings, etc...What kind of bass are you looking for, " Kaboom" or a nice tight punch? Considering you are 75% music, maybe a sealed sub might work for you. There is the PSA XS-15 and the larger XS-30, that has gotten great reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I have measured 113db @ 15hz with dual XV15's...however that is with both placed nearfield within 6ft of the main LP. Yes the room feels like its going to fall apart and the windows are going to blow out lol. I have herd one HSU sub and it was a older model, I believe a Turbo? I
I think it sounded good...I have also listened to many other subs ranging from polk, velodyne, paradigm, kenwood...etc. I have been the most satisfied with PSA. What was the final factor in deciding to do business was the customer service. Tom V originally a former owner of SVS is amazing to deal with. He will go out of his way to make sure you are satisfied and happy with your purchase. Never once has he put down any other product, but he simply tells it like it is. Tom always responds in a timely manner and if a problem with your sub ever occurs, he is quick to resolve the issue. I also like how he posts cea 2010 output numbers for each one of his products. There is no hiding anything with PSA, its all laid out on the table.

Another good company to look at is Outlaw audio if you want to stick with a down firing sub...Again all 3 companies mentioned make good products. I think your deciding factors should be biased towards budget, warranty, and customer service. All 3 will excel in performance and sound quality. Matter of fact I have not herd any body complain about sound quality with any ID company....ie SVS, Rythmik, PSA, HSU, or Outlaw.

wow, that's pretty impressive! No way my little room could handle two XV15's, i'm thinking my house might shift on its foundation haha
...what is the build quality of the XV15? does it look nice? it looks like I can get the vtf-2 for $576 shipped, the vtf-3 for $718 shipped (of course, it's firing out the side of the cabinet), or the XV15 is $799 shipped. i'm used to the hsu sound but i'm quite intrigued by the PSA. It looks like it digs down deeper than the vtf-3 and of course, the vtf-2 probably wouldn't even be in the conversation but i mention it here because a - it's pretty cheap and b- it looks to be the biggest hsu downfiring vtf sub.

i still can't get over 113db @ 15Hz, i can't even imagine being in the middle of that lol
post #33 of 38 Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Maybe I missed it, but what is your room size? Ceiling, openings, etc...What kind of bass are you looking for, " Kaboom" or a nice tight punch? Considering you are 75% music, maybe a sealed sub might work for you. There is the PSA XS-15 and the larger XS-30, that has gotten great reviews.

my room is around 15' x 18' with 8' ceilings. It is an open floor plan so one side is open to the foyer and then half of the back wall is kind of open to the kitchen / dining room area.

I was looking at a ported sub because i know from my hsu that if done right, a ported sub can sound very good and very tight. I also like having the option to throw out a kaboom when i want to watch a movie and really impress the friends (or scare the hell out of them whichever haha)
...i did see those offerings on their website but i'd really like to try and stay below the $1k price range which is why i was looking at the hsu's as they have priced me the vtf-2 for $576 shipped and the vtf-3 for $718 shipped.
post #34 of 38 Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Down-firing isn't a special orientation that magically gets rid of higher order harmonic distortion, I think that is overstating that claim. What has originally been claimed is that higher order harmonics generated by the woofer can be partially masked when that woofer isn't facing you, in the same way that if you had a normal full range speaker, and turned it to face the wall instead of your ears, some of its higher frequency output will be diminished. This is because you would only be hearing reflections instead of direct sound, and the higher frequencies are more susceptible to damping. Anyway, the theory makes some sense, however I know of no tests or measurements that back it up. Also, using its logic, the only harmonic distortion that would be lessened is that which can be damped from being reflected sound. Given the frequencies subs deal with, I don't think it will help much, unless you have a sub throwing out some very high order harmonic distortion. In this range of subwoofers, I don't think that will be a problem. Personally I would go for a VTF3, especially at the discount you are getting, I admit to being biased but I do think it is a more preferable sub to the XV15.
post #35 of 38 Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Down-firing isn't a special orientation that magically gets rid of higher order harmonic distortion, I think that is overstating that claim. What has originally been claimed is that higher order harmonics generated by the woofer can be partially masked when that woofer isn't facing you, in the same way that if you had a normal full range speaker, and turned it to face the wall instead of your ears, some of its higher frequency output will be diminished. This is because you would only be hearing reflections instead of direct sound, and the higher frequencies are more susceptible to damping. Anyway, the theory makes some sense, however I know of no tests or measurements that back it up. Also, using its logic, the only harmonic distortion that would be lessened is that which can be damped from being reflected sound. Given the frequencies subs deal with, I don't think it will help much, unless you have a sub throwing out some very high order harmonic distortion. In this range of subwoofers, I don't think that will be a problem. Personally I would go for a VTF3, especially at the discount you are getting, I admit to being biased but I do think it is a more preferable sub to the XV15.
Well said and I agree its not often someone is offered a discount.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkeye View Post

wow, that's pretty impressive! No way my little room could handle two XV15's, i'm thinking my house might shift on its foundation haha
...what is the build quality of the XV15? does it look nice? it looks like I can get the vtf-2 for $576 shipped, the vtf-3 for $718 shipped (of course, it's firing out the side of the cabinet), or the XV15 is $799 shipped. i'm used to the hsu sound but i'm quite intrigued by the PSA. It looks like it digs down deeper than the vtf-3 and of course, the vtf-2 probably wouldn't even be in the conversation but i mention it here because a - it's pretty cheap and b- it looks to be the biggest hsu downfiring vtf sub.

i still can't get over 113db @ 15Hz, i can't even imagine being in the middle of that lol

the build quality is great....i like the black sand texture finish although some do not. Its a beast of a sub no doubt, one would get the job done. I agree with shady that the vtf-3 is a better buy with your discount factored in. However both will serve you well!!
post #37 of 38 Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

the build quality is great....i like the black sand texture finish although some do not. Its a beast of a sub no doubt, one would get the job done. I agree with shady that the vtf-3 is a better buy with your discount factored in. However both will serve you well!!
I like the textured finish aswell. I have scuffed my subs a few times and I just take my finger and rub out the mark and it gone. It is great finish for an active home. I do however have to say, I have seen some of the new cabinet proto's at PSA and I was half tempted to call Tom and get my Triax's in Espresso. However, they would not match my Noeisis, which also have a similar textured black finish as the PSA subs.
post #38 of 38 Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I like the textured finish aswell. I have scuffed my subs a few times and I just take my finger and rub out the mark and it gone. It is great finish for an active home. I do however have to say, I have seen some of the new cabinet proto's at PSA and I was half tempted to call Tom and get my Triax's in Espresso. However, they would not match my Noeisis, which also have a similar textured black finish as the PSA subs.
thats exactly why i like the black sand texture for durability...you know how kids are! I agree the espresso finish is sweet but it wouldnt be after a few years with kids.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page