Need a sub to match my Tannoy speakers. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just ran across this ported dual sub on the PSA website: http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs30
The graphs are pretty impressive, even more so than http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP_specs.html.

Would the dual XV15 still be better? I seem to be finding more options every time I check the specs out.
How much open space does the port need in front of it? If I tuck it in a corner behind a couch I want to be sure it's performance is not hindered.
Will the two 12" still do better than a dual 15"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
the psa sub you linked is sealed not ported.
post #33 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I agree....the only real draw back to the FV15HP is port noise when driven hard in 1 port extension mode. This could be a problem for some, but I would think duals would alleviate the problem.

Any of these subs can be driven to port noise if pushed hard enough. At least with the FV15HP, if that is a problem, just open up the other port, problem solved. Even in two port mode the thing is tuned very deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklights View Post

Just ran across this ported dual sub on the PSA website: http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs30
The graphs are pretty impressive, even more so than http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP_specs.html.

Would the dual XV15 still be better? I seem to be finding more options every time I check the specs out.
How much open space does the port need in front of it? If I tuck it in a corner behind a couch I want to be sure it's performance is not hindered.
Will the two 12" still do better than a dual 15"?

The XS30 is sealed, not ported. Dual XV15s would be better by having more output at the tuning point (around 20 Hz), and separate placement to even out the bass sound throughout the room. As for the 12"s vs 15"s, it depends. 12"s can be better than 15"s, there are several factors involved, I wouldn't just look at the diameter of the cone alone.
post #34 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the psa sub you linked is sealed not ported.
Yup - you're right, I got my wires crossed. It is sealed. The response on the graph for it does seem pretty impressive at the lower end of the range.

I would like to try to keep to a single sub due to space constraints. Here's a couple pics so you can see the space constraints and why I think a single sub is my best bet.

large entertainment center limits sub up front. For reference that is a 73" screen.

Rear of the room also shows the slope of the ceiling.

The exterior side of the room is all windows and chimney. The left hand corner where the two windows meet is where I want to put the sub.

This one shows the adjoining kitchen. To the left you can see the hallway and then the breakfast counter that prevents placement on that whole side. I would need to use a wireless xmitter for signal.

That corner is not so large as to allow anything I want. I am figuring width being about 24" or so, depth about 17" or so and for height I don't mind 24" at most. Since it would be placed in the corner, either a dual or single would work. I am still concerned about the porting to be sure it can breathe properly. I've been looking at all the ID subs and really am convinced they are a better option than the brick and mortar stores. I just want to be sure I get the bang for my buck and best fits my situation.
post #35 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

being your space constraints and size limitations a XS30 is about the best bet.
post #36 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The FV15HP would be mu choice, it will have far stronger lower frequency output, better sound quality, and more features.
post #37 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, but it will not fit his size constraints...the xs30 will. At this point its obvious he is going to have to make some sacrifices for the limited placement and size constraints.
post #38 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. So the FV15HP would be better than the XS30? Maybe I'm misreading the charts but it looked like the XS30 had more presence on the lower freqs. I could fit either one of those back there according to the published dimensions, so they would both be OK. Would the porting on the FV15HP be impaired from the placement?
post #39 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The XS30 will have output at lower frequencies than the FV15HP, but not enough to make a difference. The FV15HP will have big deep bass output where it counts. As long as you don't block the ports on the FV15HP, it will be fine.
post #40 of 45 Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
Would the porting on the FV15HP be impaired from the placement?
No it's vented from the front. You might get a better response with the driver facing the wall though! If that’s the case you would need around 5-6" clearance if you opt for that.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #41 of 45 Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklights View Post

Thanks for the responses. So the FV15HP would be better than the XS30? Maybe I'm misreading the charts but it looked like the XS30 had more presence on the lower freqs. I could fit either one of those back there according to the published dimensions, so they would both be OK. Would the porting on the FV15HP be impaired from the placement?
unless i misread you said the depth could olny be 17" and the width 24". the fv15hp is larger than both those dimensions. however if you can make the fv15hp thats probably what i would go with.
post #42 of 45 Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

unless i misread you said the depth could olny be 17" and the width 24". the fv15hp is larger than both those dimensions. however if you can make the fv15hp thats probably what i would go with.

I can pull the sofa out a little to make up for the slight difference in size. For the rave reviews and many recommendations i think it will be worth it. As mentioned, I don't want to be upgrading all the time and prefer to spend a little more for something that will last me quite a few years. If I move into a larger space I can add another one and be done as well.
I just called Rythmik and I could have the subwoofer by Thursday. biggrin.gif
Unfortunately Brian is out of town so I can't get a demo. Sad as I wanted to compare their other models also just to get a sense of each.

Thanks for everyone's help! smile.gif
post #43 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Talk about a left turn! After all the great advice and opinions from several forums I have decided on and ordered the Power Sound Audio XV15. It's a 15" downward firing ported sub. I wasn't sure of the need for a 15" or downward firing but this subs specs and price point were great. Believe me, I went through a ton of specs on a ton of subs! What really tipped the scale was the customer service on a few questions I had. I got a response back from Tom at 10pm (apparently he works long hours like I do) - as a fellow business owner I respect that. His answers were not condescending and straight forward. He told me what I could expect (freq range and ~dB) out of his sub as it would be placed. I have been in the Audio Visual industry for over 25 years and know what these things are, what I wasn't sure of is brands, reliability and trustworthiness. I had not originally been considering them because they were relatively new but the more I read about them on the forums and the more I looked at their offerings the more I realized they were among the best of the them because of prior experience. I post this so that others who follow this thread looking for answers (as I did through posts years old!) know the thought process behind how I got to my own decision. Thanks to all and thanks to PSA - Welcome to the family! smile.gif

Here's one link I found particularly helpful. I loved the simple layout but the name was absolute perfection. You can choose any other of the tested woofers for a direct comparison on the the same graph. Great site guys - congrats!
http://www.data-bass.com/systems
I relied on the graphs from several sites other than the manufacturers and also the input from actual owners of the subs or others sharing what they have heard to make up for what I couldn't hear myself. Descriptive impressions go a looong way. I will post my own thoughts on the PSA XV15 when I've had enough time to for a rounded opinion.
Again - thanks to everyone! This is what forums are supposed to be about - helping each other out and spreading information! smile.gif

cool.gif For a cool little twist of irony look back at t he first response. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

PSA XV15 ($799, shipped). It's a well-rated sub with plenty of output and sub-20Hz extension; it plays well with both movies and music; and it's backed by a five-year warranty and top-notch customer service.
You know - I could have saved a lot of time... but the trip would not have been the same. biggrin.gif

You ROCK ElJay ! ! !
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #44 of 45 Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the PSA family! I pretty much went thru the exact same thing you did 4-5mo ago and eded up in the same spot. I was so ready to pull the trigger on a
Rythmik sub, but Tom's Customer Service won me over. However due take note the FV15HP is another level above the XV15(which I am sure you were aware after a few visits to data-bass.com/systems), but it is definately no slouch. Congrats!!
Franklights likes this.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Welcome to the PSA family! I pretty much went thru the exact same thing you did 4-5mo ago and eded up in the same spot. I was so ready to pull the trigger on a
Rythmik sub, but Tom's Customer Service won me over. However due take note the FV15HP is another level above the XV15(which I am sure you were aware after a few visits to data-bass.com/systems), but it is definately no slouch. Congrats!!

I did notice that but saw the curve was very similar in performance although a little less powerful. As far as the difference in volume available I was not so worried about being louder since my goal was proper fill and not to bust the seams in my house or have foundation repair bills to add to my home theater budget. I've seen some of the videos! eek.gif

For the difference in cost I was also able to have some money left over for the wireless sub interface which I would need. That wasn't a decision maker but rather a bonus. biggrin.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page