Pacific Rim - New Golden Subwoofer Reference Movie? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wanted to say that I saw Pacific Rim today and I thought it was spectacular. I was also mightily impressed by the amount of low end power in this movie, I know theaters these days drop a high pass eq filter to tone down the amount of low end that reveals itself in the presentation of the movie. Even with a high pass filter, you could sense the behemoth this movie is in the low frequencies.

I'm predicting that this will be a great reference bluray for subwoofers when this comes out later this year. I can't wait to put my Hsu and SVS subs through a rigorous workout with this movie.

For those who saw the movie, what did you think of the low end? Aside from the great audio and fx, I thought it was a great summer movie.

- wooferville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 11
Way better movie than the likes of Tron and this will definitiely be a reference disc. I saw the movie in IMAX and the LFE was insane.

Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.
post #3 of 38 Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon07 View Post

...this will definitiely be a reference disc. I saw the movie in IMAX and the LFE was insane.

For real, the LFE was substantial, this one will definitely be one of those demo blurays that you pull out to drop jaws and terrify the neighbors. I cant get over the fact that this was scaled back on theaters, but it still pounded hard. On home theater setups, this will really fly!
post #4 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
This was the most powerful bass I have ever heard at a cinema. I also liked the movie. If this movie gets filtered for the home then The industry needs to fire people! If the movie does not get filtered it will be a 5 star.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #5 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262

Watched it this morning at IMAX 3D and thought the bass was awesome. Can't say I thought the movie was awesome. Without the sound system they have I thought the movie was not that great. 4 star sound and not really a three star movie.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #6 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

"...If this movie gets filtered for the home then The industry needs to fire people! If the movie does not get filtered it will be a 5 star.

From my limited understanding, movie theaters drop a high pass eq sound filter on the movie print to dampen the low frequencies a bit, this is so kids and older people don't have a headache from all the slam of LFE during action movies, etc. I'm certain that this is done more for legal reasons than aesthetic, as they don't want to be sued for causing hearing damage.

However, when it transfers over to bluray, the original master soundtrack, with no high pass filters, stays intact, with all its glorious LFE. This has been the case for most movies, thats why it seems like movies like Transformers, etc. have more slam in the LFE on bluray than they ever did in their movie theater run.

For anyone concerned about slam, Pacific Rim has more than enough bass to satisfy in theaters, I just point out the filter issue to predict that it will sound even better when it hits bluray in your home theater. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well based on what I heard in the IMAX the dynamics, level, execution, and amount is there! The only thing left will be extension. I will never judge extension at a cinema. One can hope.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #8 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

That's the word I was looking for, the bass extension should be better on bluray. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Again I hope.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #10 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I have been pimping this movie for awhile, I have felt that this is going to be a 5 star bass movie that will be talked about for quite some time "IF"...............

There has to come a time when the people behind the marketing of DVD's/Blu Ray, learn that Home Cinema is growing and getting bigger and more advanced and the object should be to sell the movie to the home market. I mean any 5 star bass movie is going to provide countless copies for years to come. I would also imagine that any movie that fails in the box office can recoup its $$ if it has an incredible soundtrack. There are more than enough of us around here that watch awful movies with good soundtracks redface.gif

I thought it was interesting to hear from Dr Sound who was part of mixing OZ in the master bass thread. From being on the forums, they are surly aware of what we want. I think the future of LFE on Blu Ray is going to get better and better!
post #11 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

A lot of good points there, by now, they must be aware of the dedicated fan base that exists that has a lot of quality home theater gear, just waiting for good media to feed it. I admit that I have purchased movies just based on how good the sound design is, because I wanted to explore the limits of my sound system. wink.gif
post #12 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I saw Pacific Rim on Thursday night and really really enjoyed it. I see many movies in this same theater for comparison and this one really has some incredible bass. Better than when I seen Tron: Legacy there. Movie was a blast too! Can;t wait for this one to come out on BD. I thought the CG was awesome too as the lighting effects looked amazing. But ya the bass was awesome.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #13 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

...I thought the CG was awesome too as the lighting effects looked amazing. But ya the bass was awesome.

I was really impressed by the fx too, its looked as realistic as it can get with cgi, no doubt the 180 million budget was put to good use here. I kept thinking while watching the movie, if giant monsters ever came to wreak havoc on earth, it would look exactly like this movie. eek.gif
post #14 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I saw the movie and thought it was awesome. The bass in the theater was missing something for sure. Didn't feel like I heard/felt anything below 40hz, seats never rumbled. I see this as a fault of the Carmike 10 in my area. This is why I hate going to see movies at the theater, it always sounds and feels so much better at my house. For this movie I didn't want to wait to see it as the premise (giant robots vs giant monsters) is every kids dream!

Can't wait to test this movie out with my Dual PSA Triax subs, should crack some plaster!!

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
4 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in slanted boxes (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
3 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in Ported Boxes for LCR's
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #15 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooferville View Post

From my limited understanding, movie theaters drop a high pass eq sound filter on the movie print to dampen the low frequencies a bit, this is so kids and older people don't have a headache from all the slam of LFE during action movies, etc. I'm certain that this is done more for legal reasons than aesthetic, as they don't want to be sued for causing hearing damage.

However, when it transfers over to bluray, the original master soundtrack, with no high pass filters, stays intact, with all its glorious LFE. This has been the case for most movies, thats why it seems like movies like Transformers, etc. have more slam in the LFE on bluray than they ever did in their movie theater run.

For anyone concerned about slam, Pacific Rim has more than enough bass to satisfy in theaters, I just point out the filter issue to predict that it will sound even better when it hits bluray in your home theater. biggrin.gif

This is not always true. Over on www.film-tech.com forums theres a few movie mixers that post quite a bit and many movies are re-mixed to a near-field-mix and they tweak the original mix. The original is mixed on a true cinema set-up and the near field is mixed on small near field monitors. Guys on there that have there own screening rooms with commercial cinema equipment compare the BD mixes to the original DCI mix and its almost always not as dynamic. They complain about it quite a bit.

Here is a link talking about near field 'home theater mix's" Third paragraph he talks about near field mixs.

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t001428.html
Wooferville likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Reddig, thanks for the post, very revealing, I will definitely check it out, always nice to learn something new on these forums. smile.gif
Reddig and kesando like this.
post #17 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was really impressed by the fx too, its looked as realistic as it can get with cgi, no doubt the 180 million budget was put to good use here. I kept thinking while watching the movie, if giant monsters ever came to wreak havoc on earth, it would look exactly like this movie. eek.gif

Right!! I thought the same exact thing.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #18 of 38 Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reddig, thanks for the post, very revealing, I will definitely check it out, always nice to learn something new on these forums. smile.gif

No problem bro. Ive learned a bunch about cinema over at www.film-tech.com.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #19 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 584
please god say they give us a lossless theatrical audio mix so we can experience this 'filterless'! If not, this is the last bluray I ever pre-order.
post #20 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
post #21 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

You're not going to like the preliminary reports:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/10700_100#post_23791550

Bummer! Seems like things are going backwards, we’ll be back in the 80’s before we know it sound wise if things don’t change. mad.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #22 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

You're not going to like the preliminary reports:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/10700_100#post_23791550

duc135 - thank you so much for posting this. I am cancelling my preorder on Amazon now and will be renting it - the only sad thing is that the 3d presentation won't get seen soon as a result and I've heard that team at least did their job on this production.

I definitely owe you a beer with the money saved - thanks!
post #23 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

duc135 - thank you so much for posting this. I am cancelling my preorder on Amazon now and will be renting it - the only sad thing is that the 3d presentation won't get seen soon as a result and I've heard that team at least did their job on this production.

I definitely owe you a beer with the money saved - thanks!

Here is a quote from a review of the blu ray from another site, sounds like it still has an incredible soundtrack. You are going to cancel the preorder because it doesn't extend down 10 more hz??

'Pacific Rim Blu-ray, Audio Quality

Think Pacific Rim looks good? Wait'll you get a load of Warner's DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround tracks, a two-headed beast of a lossless monster hellbent on your home theater's complete and total subjugation. Battles roar, gears groan, Kaiju screech, rending metal screams, and explosions rock every battle scene, while a bustling, overcrowded Hong Kong cityscape attempts to survive beneath the combatants' feet. LFE output offers three sizes: big, bigger and biggest, yet never gets too unruly, overwhelming or out of control. Rear speaker activity is enveloping to the point of being engrossing, creating a fully immersive soundfield loaded with directional flourishes, ambient touches and unsettlingly smooth pans. Better still, dialogue is ever at the forefront of the chaos; always grounded, always intelligible. Voices are often overtaken by the action, but only when they're meant to be. The same goes for the chorus of effects that, at any given moment, comprise the film's absorbing sound design. Prioritization is flawless, making for both a terrific 7.1 and 5.1 experience, each of which are worthy of the "Best of 2013" chatter they're sure to invite. '

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
4 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in slanted boxes (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
3 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in Ported Boxes for LCR's
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #24 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

already cancelled.
I've heard reviews that sound like that recently but don't measure up. If they confirm that the 5.1 is the unneutered theatrically true one, then I'd purchase it in a heartbeat.
post #25 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 141
Well I loved the movie so I'm keeping my preorder. The movie itself being enjoyable still means something to me. I'm sure my subs will be ok without being stressed all that much.
audiofan1 and SaviorMachine like this.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #26 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

To me a movie being enjoyable means its worth a rental. Btw if it is near field it's not all subs, its the complete soundstage (sometimes for the better) as well as mixing at lower dynamic range (think no need for DRC or a home theater capable of 'reference')
post #27 of 38 Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Here is a quote from a review of the blu ray from another site, sounds like it still has an incredible soundtrack. You are going to cancel the preorder because it doesn't extend down 10 more hz??

'Pacific Rim Blu-ray, Audio Quality

Think Pacific Rim looks good? Wait'll you get a load of Warner's DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and 5.1 surround tracks, a two-headed beast of a lossless monster hellbent on your home theater's complete and total subjugation. Battles roar, gears groan, Kaiju screech, rending metal screams, and explosions rock every battle scene, while a bustling, overcrowded Hong Kong cityscape attempts to survive beneath the combatants' feet. LFE output offers three sizes: big, bigger and biggest, yet never gets too unruly, overwhelming or out of control. Rear speaker activity is enveloping to the point of being engrossing, creating a fully immersive soundfield loaded with directional flourishes, ambient touches and unsettlingly smooth pans. Better still, dialogue is ever at the forefront of the chaos; always grounded, always intelligible. Voices are often overtaken by the action, but only when they're meant to be. The same goes for the chorus of effects that, at any given moment, comprise the film's absorbing sound design. Prioritization is flawless, making for both a terrific 7.1 and 5.1 experience, each of which are worthy of the "Best of 2013" chatter they're sure to invite. '

I take professional reviews with a grain of salt. Many professional reviewers don't have very capable systems so they don't run into the problems many here do. That is differentiate recordings with good dynamics vs. a clipped, compressed, limited, HP, etc recording. I usually wait for a movie to go through the ringer from the guys over in the movies with bass thread as well as the thread over on data-bass.

Don't get me wrong. I still pre-ordered this movie from Amazon. What can I say? I'm a sucker for giant robot movies. Not only that, but A LOT of people in my family wanted to go watch this movie, but it's much cheaper to just buy one Blu-ray vs. buying movie tickets and concessions for the clan. Not only that, but most of us don't like going to the movie theater anyhow.

Quote:

already cancelled.
I've heard reviews that sound like that recently but don't measure up.

+1
post #28 of 38 Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

already cancelled.
I've heard reviews that sound like that recently but don't measure up. If they confirm that the 5.1 is the unneutered theatrically true one, then I'd purchase it in a heartbeat.

5-20,25,30,35 or so on, when it comes to bass its all bass at the end of the day , why would less than an octave stop you from buying a movie you wanted to buy. All your really doing is just ignoring the raw majority of the bass that is still felt and heard in the movie. I'm in as long as its clean, I can crank it and run the sub hot and grin from ear to ear enjoying a giant fighting robot flick cool.gif
post #29 of 38 Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 141
Gipsy Danger FTW!

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #30 of 38 Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I watched the 7.1 DTS-MA track – It’s a decent audio track and fun
but far from best I have experienced. ( I have full Seaton 7.1 Seaton up
with 3 Submersives)
Tons of 30-50 HZ stuff but not much deep extension or quality in the bass.
For reference we watched a double bill yesterday of Pacific Rim and
Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol
No contest – MI was better track in every category, but to be fair
MI is one of the better soundtracks available.
What is interesting on the disc is the option of 5.1 or 7.1
DTSMA track
Going to view the 5.1 track and see if can pick up any differences
In the mix

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page