Connect Subwoofer and Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, please help me connect my sub and speakers.

I have the ONKYO HT-R280 with its factory sub and satellite speakers. I decided to upgrade the speakers and sub mainly for music and occasional movie. So I have gotten one center speaker Polk Audio CS10, a pair of Polk Audio TSi-100 bookshelf speakers and BIC America F-12 sub. Now I get kinda confused how to hook these up.

The back of the Receiver

The back of the Sub

What is the best way to connect these speakers and sub to my receiver? And what type of cable or wire do I need?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Manuals are good http://www.manualslib.com/manual/115335/Onkyo-Avx-280.html?page=13#manual

Use of speaker wire gauge is based on length, this is a good reference for that and related info http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Probably 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire will do you well, just keep the +/- connections consistent between speaker and avr to keep them in phase.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice.
I've read the manual from front to back many times. It only show how to connect to the Passive Sub it came with which has only the negative (-) and the positive (+) inputs for wires. So if I use that method to connect the receiver to the F12, could I connect the wires from the receiver where says "subwoofer" to the back of the F12 where says "from receiver"? But I'm confused because on the back of the F12 right where it says "from receiver", it also says "use only if no sub out from receiver".

I see three options to connect the sub here but don't know which is correct:
1. Connect from "front speakers" on the receiver to "from receiver" on the F12
2. From "subwoofer" on the receiver to "from receiver" on the F12 (either left or right)
3. From "subwoofer" on the receiver to "sub in" (I don't know where to get the cable for this)

What is your suggestion?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I would go with option 2 and set the crossover frequency on the sub to the highest level.
Sonny73N likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny73N View Post

Thanks for your advice.
I've read the manual from front to back many times. It only show how to connect to the Passive Sub it came with which has only the negative (-) and the positive (+) inputs for wires. So if I use that method to connect the receiver to the F12, could I connect the wires from the receiver where says "subwoofer" to the back of the F12 where says "from receiver"? But I'm confused because on the back of the F12 right where it says "from receiver", it also says "use only if no sub out from receiver".

I see three options to connect the sub here but don't know which is correct:
1. Connect from "front speakers" on the receiver to "from receiver" on the F12
2. From "subwoofer" on the receiver to "from receiver" on the F12 (either left or right)
3. From "subwoofer" on the receiver to "sub in" (I don't know where to get the cable for this)

What is your suggestion?

You don't have option 3 as your avr does not have a pre-out (also called line-out or low-level) to subwoofer like most avrs do (problem with HTIB, you get limited stuff). Like duc135 says, just pick either L/R on your sub since you only have one output (rather than left and right) from your avr.
Sonny73N likes this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much lovinthehd and duc135

I thought "subwoofer" out on my receiver is the same as sub pre-out, LFE or something like that lol. Beside, the F12 doesn't label "sub in" as LFE that where it got me confused. I'll have time tomorrow to hook these up.

BTW do I need to upgrade my receiver? Will it sound better with a better receiver?

Once again, thanks guys.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I would just hook it up with what you have now and try to maximize the experience. If you are happy then enjoy it. There will always be upgrades to sound quality. It's a slippery slope that gets expensive fast. Will getting a better receiver make it sound better? Yes, it will. So will getting better speakers. Then once you have better speakers, you will want to get a better sub. Then you'll want more subs to even out the response. I went from a simple 5.1 setup with a single receiver. I now have a dedicated equipment rack that is full with a three pro 2 channel amps, a 5 channel amp and various odd equipment. Total power is 33+kW. I now have a 100A electrical sub-panel installed just for my audio equipment. I'm running 9 floor standing speakers and 2 x 18" and 5 x 15" subs.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page