LV12R vs PB12-NSD vs VTF-3 MK4 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up going with 2 XS30s with espresso finish. I've been waiting to give my impressions until they were broken in (whether or not this actually makes a difference, figured I'd give it the benefit of the doubt). I also still need to properly set them up (placement, receiver and amplifier settings). Between being so busy and not having a clue how to do it, I haven't taken the time to mess with it yet. I will say the finish is amazing. I wanted a mahogany color and was worried the espresso would be too dark (based on the samples I was sent) and the other options would be too light and not the right color. After looking at what pictures I could find online of the espresso, I decided to go with it, and I am not disappointed. They look great.

As for the sound, that's harder to judge, for multiple reasons. First, as I said, they're not set up properly yet. Second, my ears are very untrained. On the one hand, the bass seems very good, certainly much better than what I'm used to. Before my friend who came to help me get them inside and unboxed left I played a couple things and we were both impressed, as it sounded and felt more like a theater. On the other hand, I feel kind of like for having 4 15" drivers it's somewhat lacking, especially since to get the bass to a good level I have to turn the gain almost all the way up (currently at 3) and turn up the bass output on the receiver. I watched the train wreck scene in Super 8 a few times and, while it was certainly enjoyable, it wasn't the life-changing experience people refer to it as. Keep in mind, I'm filling a very large space, so I new going into this that it might not be what I expected it to be, but still, I was hoping for more. But that's not to say I'm disappointed or regret my decision. I simply wonder what if, mainly if I had gone vented. I also don't have a clue what kind of bass I'm getting. I don't know if it's all mid-bass or if I'm getting much low/ultra-low bass as well, since I don't really know much about it. It definitely shakes the house (I'm currently trying to find a way to make my shot glasses stay in place in their case, and the glasses in the kitchen move around inside the cabinet), and I can feel the couch shaking a little, but it certainly doesn't punch me in the chest or anything like that. One observation I've made is that the bass seems just as loud and rattling for a lot of basic background bass as it does for bass heavy scenes like in Super 8. Not sure if that means anything. Anyways, this could all change once they're properly set up, which is why I was holding off giving my impressions. I'll have to try and remember to take some pics and post them, so if I don't do that before too long feel free to nudge me to remind me.

Any suggestions or questions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo_2_20 View Post

I ended up going with 2 XS30s with espresso finish. I've been waiting to give my impressions until they were broken in (whether or not this actually makes a difference, figured I'd give it the benefit of the doubt). I also still need to properly set them up (placement, receiver and amplifier settings). Between being so busy and not having a clue how to do it, I haven't taken the time to mess with it yet. I will say the finish is amazing. I wanted a mahogany color and was worried the espresso would be too dark (based on the samples I was sent) and the other options would be too light and not the right color. After looking at what pictures I could find online of the espresso, I decided to go with it, and I am not disappointed. They look great.

As for the sound, that's harder to judge, for multiple reasons. First, as I said, they're not set up properly yet. Second, my ears are very untrained. On the one hand, the bass seems very good, certainly much better than what I'm used to. Before my friend who came to help me get them inside and unboxed left I played a couple things and we were both impressed, as it sounded and felt more like a theater. On the other hand, I feel kind of like for having 4 15" drivers it's somewhat lacking, especially since to get the bass to a good level I have to turn the gain almost all the way up (currently at 3) and turn up the bass output on the receiver. I watched the train wreck scene in Super 8 a few times and, while it was certainly enjoyable, it wasn't the life-changing experience people refer to it as. Keep in mind, I'm filling a very large space, so I new going into this that it might not be what I expected it to be, but still, I was hoping for more. But that's not to say I'm disappointed or regret my decision. I simply wonder what if, mainly if I had gone vented. I also don't have a clue what kind of bass I'm getting. I don't know if it's all mid-bass or if I'm getting much low/ultra-low bass as well, since I don't really know much about it. It definitely shakes the house (I'm currently trying to find a way to make my shot glasses stay in place in their case, and the glasses in the kitchen move around inside the cabinet), and I can feel the couch shaking a little, but it certainly doesn't punch me in the chest or anything like that. One observation I've made is that the bass seems just as loud and rattling for a lot of basic background bass as it does for bass heavy scenes like in Super 8. Not sure if that means anything. Anyways, this could all change once they're properly set up, which is why I was holding off giving my impressions. I'll have to try and remember to take some pics and post them, so if I don't do that before too long feel free to nudge me to remind me.

yeah, with your room being 8000cu./ft I would honestly think almost any sub under $2000 would have a tough time with a room that big. I have dual XS30's and they honestly shake the sh*t out of my house, but the theatre room area is less then 3000cu./ft.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #63 of 68 Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo_2_20 View Post

I doubt any dual sealed sub available for around 1k each is going to net any significant output below 20hz in a room that large. Room gain is a subs best friend for the lower octaves and your room is probably offering very little. Also I would be looking at 4 XS30's for a room that large or place both of them nearfield. Jbrown is running dual XS30's in a 2200^3 sealed room. That is the size room you need to achieve a "life changing experience". If 4 subs are not in the deck of cards then I would be looking at a pair of Triax's or go vented and Get 2-3 Rythmik FV15HP's. Again, try nearfield placement and report back.
post #64 of 68 Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I doubt any dual sealed sub available for around 1k each is going to net any significant output below 20hz in a room that large. Room gain is a subs best friend for the lower octaves and your room is probably offering very little. Also I would be looking at 4 XS30's for a room that large or place both of them nearfield. Jbrown is running dual XS30's in a 2200^3 sealed room. That is the size room you need to achieve a "life changing experience". If 4 subs are not in the deck of cards then I would be looking at a pair of Triax's or go vented and Get 2-3 Rythmik FV15HP's. Again, try nearfield placement and report back.

I wonder how a single "Little Rebel Rouser" would do? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #65 of 68 Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

As I said, it is very nice, and I am for the most part happy with it (and who knows, maybe it'll get better once set up properly). Unfortunately, as mentioned before, placement options are limited, and I already spent more than I wanted to on the setup, so 2-3 Rythmiks would be out of the question. Not to mention these look better. Obviously, I could spend 2-3 times as much and get significantly better performance, but I have to draw the line somewhere, and this is where I decided to do so. I knew all of this going in, and I'm not disappointed in the least based on that. It's more that while I had realistic expectations, and I'm satisfied based on those, I was still kinda hoping that I'd be pleasantly surprised and they would deliver much more than what should realistically be expected. But they have certainly added a lot to the viewing experience, and while I'm not sure how high the amp can safely go, there is still headroom both there and on the receiver, so perhaps with more playing around I'll find that even though it requires pushing everything to the max, I can get a lot more out of them. I'll only be in this house for a couple more years anyway, and maybe down the road I'll end up with a normal-sized home theater, or alternatively a room of equal size with a layout more conducive to multiple subs. In reality, I could probably squeeze a third one in without it looking too crowded, but again, cost becomes an issue. And in the end, I think these will keep me happy for a long time.
post #66 of 68 Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Most folks are used to a 'hot' gain dial where the butter zone is between nine and noon. That's a design choice that doesn't affect actual clean output, but certainly makes it look like you have endless headroom. You'd find though that when the dial on such a sub is turned past noon, the sound is always an overblown mess.

The gain dials on PSA subs are calibrated so that you'll probably wind up setting them between one o'clock and three o'clock. This throws a lot of people off at first because it looks like you don't have anywhere to go in case you want more output! In fact it just means that the butter zone for most users is at a different place on the dial.

Anyway three o'clock is typical. On the other hand, it definitely sounds like you're not satisfied, and are maybe retroactively changing your expectations.

Maybe you're getting tired of working for this, but I think it would be worth your while to investigate ported options. Sealed subs are marvelous in smaller rooms, but your giant space is clearly eating your sealed subs whole. You need subs with a flatter frequency response down to the teens, and to give up any dream of chasing single digit output unless you want to spend substantially more--you're in a real beast of a room.

Anyway yeah--sorry to hear you're not thrilled, because for the money you've paid, you could reasonably expect to be. Investigate setting up a return and trying out a couple of very powerful, ported subs.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #67 of 68 Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I know it's been a while, but here's an update:

I still haven't done anything to set the subs up. They're in the same place, as there really isn't much in the way of placement options. I also haven't gotten around to tweaking them, although I did get a mic to use with the REW software. I just haven't had the time to learn how to use it. The subs still seem to be somewhat lacking in the really low frequencies, as is expected with my setup, but overall they have completely changed my HT experience, and I would not want to go back to how it was before. Depending on the content and volume, they often shake the room (and adjoining rooms), but more importantly they add incredible depth. I have noticed that since I finally got my massage chair and started sitting in the corner the bass there is much more intense, even muddied. I had a hard time hearing vocals over it, whereas I had no such difficulty sitting on the couch. I moved back to the couch to make sure it wasn't just what I was watching, but it was definitely due to the difference in location. So I had to turn the bass down.

Also, as promised, and apologies for taking so long, here are several pics of the subs so you can see the finish. As you can see, it looks darker or lighter depending on the lighting, which is why I included brighter and darker pics. Overall, to the eye, the finish appears darker. You have to practically have direct sunlight on them to really be able to see the lighter coloration, which most people aren't going to have, and even then I'd say it's a little exaggerated in the pics compared to how they look in person.

post #68 of 68 Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Those espresso XS30's look amazing!!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version