Rythmik Audio FV15HP Direct Servo subwoofer review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This write-up got a little long so I’m adding a quick summary:

• I’m not a shill for Rythmik in fact I had never heard of them until less than a month ago
• I tested both the FV15HP and the EV15 from Rythmik and found both to sound fantastic. I also think they are an amazing value for the money.
• My goal was to decide between ported and sealed and between one sub and two. For me, one ported sub (FV15HP) was the way to go. I’m thrilled with the sound.
• Brian Ding at Rythmik was amazing to work with in helping me determine what worked best for my room.

A while back I started a thread on this forum asking for help deciding between SVS and Hsu as my leading contenders for a subwoofer upgrade. Before that thread devolved into a painful back-and-forth about the merits of various published measurements by various sub manufacturers, I got some very useful insight / advice. (No insult intended to anyone involved in that thread.)

The 2 key things that came up were: 1) I needed to be considering whether I should go with a sealed or a ported sub (because I had kind of been comparing apples and oranges in my initial thinking). 2) I should consider Rythmik Audio (because they make great subs and because they are local to me in Austin, TX).

Quick side bar: Austin has a famous slogan… Keep Austin Weird. Which is all about supporting local businesses. I’ve always been in favor of that, but even more so since my wife now owns and runs a local business. So considering buying from Rythmik was a no brainer for me.

After checking out the website and zeroing in on a couple of models as contenders I contacted Brian Ding (Owner / Inventor /All around great guy) to get more information and ultimately to set up an in home audition.

I swung by Rythmik’s office space and picked up an FV15HP (ported) and E15HP (sealed). My intension was to compare the ported to the sealed and to determine whether I should move from 1 sub to 2 for my 18.5 x 21 foot dedicated theater space. I thought there was a very good chance that I’d end up keeping both subs. (Note that given my room’s configuration and current wiring, I positioned the FV15 in the front right corner and the E15 in the back left corner (those are really my only options given the space I have and the size of these monster subs – especially the FV15).

Holy Cow was I blown away! My prior experience has been with a 10 inch Def Tech sub and then a Velodyne DD12. The Velodyne really sounded good but did leave me thinking I could go bigger for my sizable room. I was right. The Rythmik combo rocked my house like I didn’t think possible. But they also sounded under control and “tight”. I did some comparisons between each of the subs individually as well as together. I found that the much larger, ported, FV15 definitely went lower, but to my ears with no sacrifice in sound quality, control, etc. Even with music I was very happy with the sound of the ported sub, so at least for me the question of ported vs. sealed really just came down to the ability to go lower/ louder for movies. The FV15 clearly won in that regard.

As great as things sounded when I used both subs together, I was not confident that the 2 subs were dialed-in as best they could be for my space. I called Brian, and talked through my concerns and he agreed to come to my house and help.

Talk about fantastic service and going the extra mile! Brian arrived with an SPL Meter and tripod (more sophisticated than my SPL from Radio Shack) and a disk containing test tones from 150hz to 10hz. He walked me through the process of configuring the subs and measuring the output across the frequency spectrum. This process led to a couple of interesting realizations.

First, my room has “bump” of about 15db in the 30-40hz range. Which I actually kind of appreciate, it really gets things rocking when the bombs start dropping. The only downside is that when you are listening to tone sweeps down below 30hz it makes it feel like the drop-off down to 20hz and then 15hz is really steep. The subs were still outputting strongly at those low frequencies but “by ear” it felt like a big fall-off compared to the bolstered sound at 30hz. That was noticeable at my listening position but disappeared when measuring or listening “near-field” right at the subwoofers.

Next, we discovered that in my particular situation adding a second sub was really not providing the gain one might expect. I’m absolutely convinced that my room is the cause. Part of the reason is very likely that I have some room treatments in the back left corner where the E15 was positioned that are reducing its output somewhat. It is also probably because the FV15 was just filling the room so fully. Whatever the reason, to Brian’s credit, he was very upfront about what the numbers were saying. He didn’t try to “sell” me on the value of using both subs, or anything like that. He simply laid out the numbers and said that ultimately it was up to me to decide if the modest gains provided by having both subs would be worth it to me.

I kept both subs for another week or so in order to do some A/B comparisons of specific real-world material with just the FV15 and with both subs. I listened to the climactic scene from Skyfall (Bond’s childhood home is leveled in a massive room shaking series of explosions) as well as the classic depth charge scene from U-451. I also just watched / listened to a bunch of TV and music. In the end I determined that I could not hear enough of a difference when I added the E15 to the mix. So the E15 was returned.

I may try to integrate a 2nd sub (likely a second FV15) when I can drop a second run of wire to the front of my theater to have both subs up front and when I have a more advanced 7.2 processor that can help better integrate a second sub. But for now I’m thrilled with the FV15HP and I’m thrilled with the service I got from Rythmik!

I’m sure that (as much as possible) the service I received will be replicated whether you live in Austin or not. So if you are not lucky enough to have a world-class designer and manufacturer of subwoofers based in your town, I highly recommend calling Brian at Rythmik. (Even if you do, you should still consider Rythmik.)

My Gear:
JVC DLA-RSe5u projector
Stewart Studio Tek 130 G3 Screen (123”)
B&K AVR 507
Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Mac Mini HTPC & DirecTv
Definitive Technology Speakers (Powered Bi-polar for the front 3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Great review! cool.gif

I wonder if Brian would be willing to swing by my place if I were to buy a couple of FV15HPs from him... biggrin.gif
post #3 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn69 View Post

This write-up got a little long so I’m adding a quick summary:

• I’m not a shill for Rythmik in fact I had never heard of them until less than a month ago
• I tested both the FV15HP and the EV15 from Rythmik and found both to sound fantastic. I also think they are an amazing value for the money.
• My goal was to decide between ported and sealed and between one sub and two. For me, one ported sub (FV15HP) was the way to go. I’m thrilled with the sound.
• Brian Ding at Rythmik was amazing to work with in helping me determine what worked best for my room.

A while back I started a thread on this forum asking for help deciding between SVS and Hsu as my leading contenders for a subwoofer upgrade. Before that thread devolved into a painful back-and-forth about the merits of various published measurements by various sub manufacturers, I got some very useful insight / advice. (No insult intended to anyone involved in that thread.)

The 2 key things that came up were: 1) I needed to be considering whether I should go with a sealed or a ported sub (because I had kind of been comparing apples and oranges in my initial thinking). 2) I should consider Rythmik Audio (because they make great subs and because they are local to me in Austin, TX).

Quick side bar: Austin has a famous slogan… Keep Austin Weird. Which is all about supporting local businesses. I’ve always been in favor of that, but even more so since my wife now owns and runs a local business. So considering buying from Rythmik was a no brainer for me.

After checking out the website and zeroing in on a couple of models as contenders I contacted Brian Ding (Owner / Inventor /All around great guy) to get more information and ultimately to set up an in home audition.

I swung by Rythmik’s office space and picked up an FV15HP (ported) and E15HP (sealed). My intension was to compare the ported to the sealed and to determine whether I should move from 1 sub to 2 for my 18.5 x 21 foot dedicated theater space. I thought there was a very good chance that I’d end up keeping both subs. (Note that given my room’s configuration and current wiring, I positioned the FV15 in the front right corner and the E15 in the back left corner (those are really my only options given the space I have and the size of these monster subs – especially the FV15).

Holy Cow was I blown away! My prior experience has been with a 10 inch Def Tech sub and then a Velodyne DD12. The Velodyne really sounded good but did leave me thinking I could go bigger for my sizable room. I was right. The Rythmik combo rocked my house like I didn’t think possible. But they also sounded under control and “tight”. I did some comparisons between each of the subs individually as well as together. I found that the much larger, ported, FV15 definitely went lower, but to my ears with no sacrifice in sound quality, control, etc. Even with music I was very happy with the sound of the ported sub, so at least for me the question of ported vs. sealed really just came down to the ability to go lower/ louder for movies. The FV15 clearly won in that regard.

As great as things sounded when I used both subs together, I was not confident that the 2 subs were dialed-in as best they could be for my space. I called Brian, and talked through my concerns and he agreed to come to my house and help.

Talk about fantastic service and going the extra mile! Brian arrived with an SPL Meter and tripod (more sophisticated than my SPL from Radio Shack) and a disk containing test tones from 150hz to 10hz. He walked me through the process of configuring the subs and measuring the output across the frequency spectrum. This process led to a couple of interesting realizations.

First, my room has “bump” of about 15db in the 30-40hz range. Which I actually kind of appreciate, it really gets things rocking when the bombs start dropping. The only downside is that when you are listening to tone sweeps down below 30hz it makes it feel like the drop-off down to 20hz and then 15hz is really steep. The subs were still outputting strongly at those low frequencies but “by ear” it felt like a big fall-off compared to the bolstered sound at 30hz. That was noticeable at my listening position but disappeared when measuring or listening “near-field” right at the subwoofers.

Next, we discovered that in my particular situation adding a second sub was really not providing the gain one might expect. I’m absolutely convinced that my room is the cause. Part of the reason is very likely that I have some room treatments in the back left corner where the E15 was positioned that are reducing its output somewhat. It is also probably because the FV15 was just filling the room so fully. Whatever the reason, to Brian’s credit, he was very upfront about what the numbers were saying. He didn’t try to “sell” me on the value of using both subs, or anything like that. He simply laid out the numbers and said that ultimately it was up to me to decide if the modest gains provided by having both subs would be worth it to me.

I kept both subs for another week or so in order to do some A/B comparisons of specific real-world material with just the FV15 and with both subs. I listened to the climactic scene from Skyfall (Bond’s childhood home is leveled in a massive room shaking series of explosions) as well as the classic depth charge scene from U-451. I also just watched / listened to a bunch of TV and music. In the end I determined that I could not hear enough of a difference when I added the E15 to the mix. So the E15 was returned.

I may try to integrate a 2nd sub (likely a second FV15) when I can drop a second run of wire to the front of my theater to have both subs up front and when I have a more advanced 7.2 processor that can help better integrate a second sub. But for now I’m thrilled with the FV15HP and I’m thrilled with the service I got from Rythmik!

I’m sure that (as much as possible) the service I received will be replicated whether you live in Austin or not. So if you are not lucky enough to have a world-class designer and manufacturer of subwoofers based in your town, I highly recommend calling Brian at Rythmik. (Even if you do, you should still consider Rythmik.)

My Gear:
JVC DLA-RSe5u projector
Stewart Studio Tek 130 G3 Screen (123”)
B&K AVR 507
Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Mac Mini HTPC & DirecTv
Definitive Technology Speakers (Powered Bi-polar for the front 3)

So having a Dual Subwoofers does NOT do anything?

Why is it so popular today to get a Dual Subwoofers setup if it does not benefit?

So you NO improvement at all by having a Dual Subwoofer setup?
post #4 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign 

Why is it so popular today to get a Dual Subwoofers setup if it does not benefit?

So you NO improvement at all by having a Dual Subwoofer setup?
You quoted and highlighted it, but I think you misread it:
Quote:
... we discovered that in my particular situation adding a second sub was really not providing the gain one might expect. I’m absolutely convinced that my room is the cause.
1. The OP said the second sub did not provide the expected gain - he didn't say it provided no gain.
2. The OP feels his room - not every room everywhere - may be to blame.

Your blanket interpretation that dual subwoofers offer NO improvement or benefit is a far cry from what the OP actually wrote.
post #5 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

You highlighted it, but you didn't read it carefully:
1. The second sub did not provide the expected gain. (He didn't say it provided no gain.)
2. The OP feels his room may be to blame. (His room, not every room everywhere.)

Your blanket interpretation that "dual subwoofers offer no improvement" is a far cry from what the OP actually wrote.

But you would think by having 2 subwoofers should Double the power of one subwoofer regardless of the room. It should not matter how your room is lay out or what you have in your room. If I am going to spend more money on a Dual Subwoofer setup, it better improve twice the power and sound quality.

Do you also have a Dual Subwoofer setup as well and how does it improve over one sub?

I guess his review did not motivate me enough to go out and get a Dual subwoofer setup.
post #6 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But you would think by having 2 subwoofers should Double the power of one subwoofer regardless of the room.
Room configuration and placement can impact sound. Evidently, in the OP's case, it does. Perhaps he didn't have enough time to test all possible placement options and missed one that would have provided the expected result. Dunno. But you can't extrapolate from his result that no set-up will benefit from dual subs, because many (most?) set-ups do.
Quote:
Do you also have a Dual Subwoofer setup as well and how does it improve over one sub?
I have a dual sub set-up and I get more output, strong extension and smoother response vs. my previous single sub. I'm very happy with duals, and I won't go back to a single sub if I can avoid it.
post #7 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Just a few points of clarifications.

1) I have added some DIY acoustical panels to the back corner where the second sub was residing. I'm quite sure that those were having a major impact on the perceived output of the 2nd sub at my listening position.
2) My room configuration allows limited options for sub placement. I only have 1 sub wire drop at the front of the room and 1 at the back and with the furniture and other speakers laid out as they are (plus 2 doors along the back wall of the room I have very limited options. I can place a sub in either of the front corners, but currently not both. I can place a sub in the back left corner but not the back right. I have not ability to position a sub along the back wall or along either side walls.

So given those factors, for my particular room I was seeing about a 3db increase with both subs compared to having just the FV15. It made a difference, but not enough of a difference for me to justify the addition at this time.

As I mentioned I'm still considering adding a 2nd sub when I can position it up front (which I believe will make a big difference) and when I have a processor that can better integrate 2 subs. I'm not saying that a 7.2 processor is required, just that for me I think it will be beneficial to help deal with my room.

Also note that the measurements near field were quite different that the measurements at my listening position. So, to me that is compelling evidence that my room was the big factor.

As with everything in this pursuit... listen for yourself and make up your own mind about what makes sense for you.
post #8 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of my room. The "acoustical panel" on the back left (from this orientation) is a hidden door that opens to expose my gear, so I can't put a sub there. I had it in the back right corner from this vantage point. As you can see putting a sub along the back wall is not an option because of the closet door and the couch. The side walls would be problematic as well.

post #9 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 30
Thank you Longhorn for sharing your impressions.

Regarding the dual sub setup, consider the following

1. While one can expect an increase in output with two subs over one, this will only happen if the two subs are in phase at the listening position. If they are out of phase it may decrease output.
2. Assuming proper setup, expect to get between 3-6 dB of additional output.
3. 3 dB of additional output means that each sub's amp is using half as much power as a single one would be (and that's a big deal if the single sub was nearing its limits)
4. Even if you don't need the additional output, there is great benefit to using multiple subs. The potential to smooth out the in-room response (again, assuming proper care in setup) can turn a bloated, boomy mess into a very good response.

I'm sure Brian set them up so that they were operating optimally with each other, given the places that they had to be located. The ability to move them around more would likely have helped knock down the resonance that Longhorn was experiencing in the 30-40 Hz range. But I suppose it's not surprising that dual subs offered little benefit if placement was restricted to just one option.

Just wanted to note in response to mantaray that there is more to multiple subs than raw SPL. If you have some placement flexibility, a dual sub setup (dialed in properly) will very likely be better than a single sub.

post #10 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:

Here is a picture of my room. The "acoustical panel" on the back left (from this orientation) is a hidden door that opens to expose my gear, so I can't put a sub there. I had it in the back right corner from this vantage point. As you can see putting a sub along the back wall is not an option because of the closet door and the couch. The side walls would be problematic as well.

Very NICE!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Very NICE!

Very nice indeed. I like simple, clean setups that are not gaudy, and that are designed to impress when the lights go down, rather than when they are up.

post #12 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM

Liked: 19
When you were comparing the two subs, did you test them one at a time in the same location? From the op and subsequent posts it sounds like for all testing the E15 was in the back of the room. Is that right?
What was the distance to the main listening position for each sub?

I would suspect, as you do, that the reason the E15 didn't add much is due to the fact that the location it was in is a bit of a bass vacuum. Not only do you have room treatments back there ( and presumably do not have the same up front where the FV15 was located) but you have the sofa possibly sucking up some of its output.
You stated that the FV15 sounded like it went lower than the E15. It really should not. The FV15 can get louder than the E15 at the port tune. However, below that it has a steeper roll-off than the E15. Due to location, it didn't seem like a fair fight. I'm not trying to talk you out of the FV15. I've heard it. It is an awesome sub. For your room, at least for now if you can only use 1 sub, you probably made the right choice between the two.
post #13 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have a Home Theater room looking like that and..............YOU DON'T INVITE ALL OF US TO THE PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Really nice room, but it screams for dual Rythmiks wink.gif.

Curious what the dimensions are?

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn 
Very NICE!
A big +1 to that! cool.gif
steve nn likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Isn't having the Acoustic Panels suppose to improve sounds? Would all of his Acoustic Panels improve the sound quality of the Subwoofers?

If it does not improve the sounds, maybe he should take them down.
post #17 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Well they certainly improve the sound, by attenuating some of the lower frequency reflections and thus smoothing the low end response of the room. By definition this will result in a slight decrease in SPL in the room (for a given speaker output). I however doubt that the panels had a significant role in the perception that the extra sub did not add much to the output. The sub's proximity to the panels should not have affected things much, except for a bit of a decrease in the loading provided by the wall the panel was on (if the sub was close to that wall) I suppose. Those panels will absorb some of the bass reflections in the room, regardless of the location of the source of those sounds.

About the only disadvantage to having lots of low frequency absorption in a small room is the potential to make the room too dead in the high frequencies. Assuming you're not doing that, it's hard to have "too much" low frequency absorption in a typical home theater room.

post #18 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Longhorn

Very nice review....and I really like your setup and equipment.

In my experience dual subs really evened out the sound in my room. I think it's terrific that you have
treatments on the wall (I do, with 4 bass traps, and 2 sound absorption panels). It really helped even out
the bass and seemed to help integrate the subs with the mains, IMO).

Maybe in the future you might get a second sub (ported) to go in the rear of you listening area. But if you are
happy with the sound now, and did try dual subs, and it did not make a substantial difference, then
it's probably not worth it.

As the saying goes, you can never have too many bass traps,

Rythmik makes great subs from all that I've read.

vardo

EDIT: added "ported" because basshead is correct.....the subs have to be of the same type.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

But you would think by having 2 subwoofers should Double the power of one subwoofer regardless of the room. It should not matter how your room is lay out or what you have in your room. If I am going to spend more money on a Dual Subwoofer setup, it better improve twice the power and sound quality.

I guess his review did not motivate me enough to go out and get a Dual subwoofer setup.

Part of it is the fact the op had 2 different subwoofers in the same room...i gurantee adding another fv15hp will be a noticeable difference. Mixing sealed and ported subs can cause less then desireable results...some can make it work, but it all depends on the room, placement, and eq'ing/phase alignment. I believe the op was simply testing to see if he preferred a ported or sealed sub for his listening needs. the thread was not about how he bought dual subs was not happy and sent one back.
post #20 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I did do some listening / comparisons between the FV15 and the E15 alone both in the front position. I started with that in order to get a feel for my overall preference between ported and sealed.

All I can say is that for me the ported had more impact at the lowest frequencies. I basically made the call that I had room for the FV15 up front and that I liked what I heard from it, so from there the question became do I keep the E15 and use it in the back or do I return it. To be frank I had every intension of keeping both subs. It was not until after doing all of the measurements with Brian from Rythmik and I doing the A/B comparisons with both and then with the E15 turned off that I decided that for me the improvement with the E15 on was not worth the extra expense.

One of the points I tried to make in my "review" was that part of it could be just how well the FV15 performed on it own. My couch was shaking under me, there was glass rattling in a book case 3 rooms over, etc. When I say my house was rocking, I mean it! smile.gif

Also want to reiterate the point that I intend to try a second sub up front when I can get a wire dropped up there (and when I can get a processor that handles 7.2 better). I could be wrong on this point, but I think that I'd be better off not just using a Y splitter our of my AVR.

FYI: my room is approximately 18 by 21.5. The platform in the back is about 8.5 feet from the back wall to the step down to the row in front. For most of my measurements I used a point in between the first and second rows. That point was about 12 feet from each of the 2 subwoofers. For my listening I tried to A/B most things from both the front and back rows, so it was more like A,B,C,Ding each test.
post #21 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You have a Home Theater room looking like that and..............YOU DON'T INVITE ALL OF US TO THE PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anytime anyone from the forum is in Austin and wants to come over and check my system out, just PM me. smile.gif

I love talking HT and getting tips from other enthusiasts.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
mantraraydesign has a very common misunderstanding. Adding a second sub (not just a Rythmik, but any sub) does NOT double acoustical output. It takes a 10dB increase in SPL to do that.
post #23 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

I did do some listening / comparisons between the FV15 and the E15 alone both in the front position. I started with that in order to get a feel for my overall preference between ported and sealed.

All I can say is that for me the ported had more impact at the lowest frequencies. I basically made the call that I had room for the FV15 up front and that I liked what I heard from it, so from there the question became do I keep the E15 and use it in the back or do I return it. To be frank I had every intension of keeping both subs. It was not until after doing all of the measurements with Brian from Rythmik and I doing the A/B comparisons with both and then with the E15 turned off that I decided that for me the improvement with the E15 on was not worth the extra expense.

One of the points I tried to make in my "review" was that part of it could be just how well the FV15 performed on it own. My couch was shaking under me, there was glass rattling in a book case 3 rooms over, etc. When I say my house was rocking, I mean it! smile.gif

Also want to reiterate the point that I intend to try a second sub up front when I can get a wire dropped up there (and when I can get a processor that handles 7.2 better). I could be wrong on this point, but I think that I'd be better off not just using a Y splitter our of my AVR.

FYI: my room is approximately 18 by 21.5. The platform in the back is about 8.5 feet from the back wall to the step down to the row in front. For most of my measurements I used a point in between the first and second rows. That point was about 12 feet from each of the 2 subwoofers. For my listening I tried to A/B most things from both the front and back rows, so it was more like A,B,C,Ding each test.
Hey, thanks for the review. I have a single FV15Hp in my 14x19x10 room and it is more than enough for me. Your room is bigger, so adding another one will help but I would add another FV15hp instead of mismatching subs, seal/vented. It is also easier to spend someone else money, LOL.
Wonder if Brian would come to my house in Dallas to help measuring/setup? It is not the first time he came to his customer house and do that though.
post #24 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Did you try the E15 with a little more gain to provide the same "impact" that the ported one is showing or would you say that the "impact" that your feeling is something that ONLY the ported one can provide ?
Quote:

All I can say is that for me the ported had more impact at the lowest frequencies. .
post #25 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

Did you try the E15 with a little more gain to provide the same "impact" that the ported one is showing or would you say that the "impact" that your feeling is something that ONLY the ported one can provide ?

all the e15 was doing was limiting headroom in the lowest octaves...a subwoofer system is only as powerful as the weakest link being they are gain matched. Like I said previously, the only true way to get a apples to apples comparison would be by adding another fv15hp.
post #26 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
^^ +1 100%.
post #27 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Enjoy reading this as I have a little smaller, but not a closed room. I guess my question is, on their own, is the sealed unit not delivering up to the desired level (based on input) or is the ported unit running sending more than is requested due to the addition of the port? I guess I'm trying to get an idea based on a flat response, running alone in the same spot gain matched to the processor, if that makes any sense.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post

mantraraydesign has a very common misunderstanding. Adding a second sub (not just a Rythmik, but any sub) does NOT double acoustical output. It takes a 10dB increase in SPL to do that.

Right, or more specifically it takes a 10 dB increase in output for the human ear to perceive it as being twice as loud. You actually do get a doubling of pressure amplitude with a 3 dB increase, but our ears are not linear to changes in air pressure, so it takes an increase in SPL of 10 dB (requiring ten times the power) for the average person to say "now it's about twice as loud."

Longhorn I'm glad you're enjoying the new sub.

post #29 of 38 Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Longhorn69-Thanks for taking the time to post a very solid,well written
review. I have owned my Rythmik F12 sub for almost
3 1/2 years now and it still brings a smile to my face.biggrin.gif

Brian Ding is a very motivated owner...he wants ALL of his
customers to be happy with their subs. He helped me out
with a room null that I was having trouble figuring out. He
didnt come to my house, but thru a lengthy series of emails
he helped me get it right! When I got the issue fixed I could tell
that he was happy too.

That kind of customer service these days is pretty rare.
post #30 of 38 Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

I myself was also surprised. To verify that it was not due to subwoofer malfunction, I did a close-mic measurement, and confirm near field is flat down to the lowest frequency we measured - 20hz. The response at the listening position however is flat from 80hz down to 31.5hz (within 3db) and down 15db and 11db at 25hz and 20hz, respectively. I can only speculate it is the "room treatment" that longhorn as put in right next to the E15 sub (which can be seen from right hand side of the photo: one big piece of panel on the side wall plus a small piece panel on the rear wall). I am pretty sure we will get the same result if it were another sub.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page