Thoughts on my current sub, or suggest a budget subwoofer to complement my starter HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm slowly building out a HT setup or a small basement/entertainment room. I need some advice on a budget sub that will complement my current system without overwhelming it.

Current setup:
2 KEF Q100 bookshelf as fronts
1 KEF Q200c center channel
Connected to a Pioneer VSX-1021
Recently acquired floor model CV CMX10s

Requirement: Using bookshelf speakers means I'm lacking some bass (though so far I'm very impressed with the KEF Q100s otherwise)
Room dimensions: 12' X 12' X 8' ceiling
Use: movies, TV, casual music listening when entertaining
Habits/requirements: I don't need/want any heavy pounding, and this is a condo with a shared wall, so nothing that will disturb my neighbours
Setup location/appearance: due to the room layout, the sub *may* end up in a cabinet underneath the TV (about 18" clearance) or in a closet at the back of the room.
Budget: ideally sub-$300 CDN

I was recently in my local home AV store and they were selling a floor model Cerwin-Vega CMX10s. It's a little banged up cosmetically, but works fine, and is fully returnable. I picked it up on a whim then brought it home to check reviews, but I'm having trouble finding any solid recommendations other than the same 6 from Amazon. Based on what I have found, the CVs seem to be known for heavy bass, something I don't really need. The MSRP on these was $500 USD (I paid considerably less) but the model is discontinued.

So, should I keep the CV even if it might be too much for my tastes? Or should I look for something different? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Not sure where in Canada you live, but you might want to check out canuckaudiomart.com for some gently-used subs. There are a couple of Paradigm PDR-10s for $200 or less; an Energy S8.3 for just over $100; and a PDR-12 for $300.

You could get two - or three - Polk PSW10s, when on sale for ~$99. Not a great sub, but decent in small to mid-sized rooms and up to moderate volume levels. (And having two - or three - would help.)

Or you could consider saving up a bit and getting an SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000 ($499 + shipping + tax) from sonicboomaudio.com.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the Polk PSW10s are on sale right now for $100 CDN -- looks like they too are about to be discontinued? Both the store I was in as well as Futureshop are selling them at that price.

I saw a couple of reviews mentioning that at this price point the Polk is an OK buy, but overall not a great sub. Anyone else have an opinion here?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Not sure what the availability is up north, but you might want to check out the NXG NX-BAS-500 as well. It's a real nice subwoofer for the price.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
... you might want to check out the NXG NX-BAS-500 as well. It's a real nice subwoofer for the price.
FWIW: $407.99 on Amazon.ca. I took it to check-out and shipping was only $7.26.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Yikes, that's pricey. eek.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's a little more than I'd hope to spend. Thanks for the recommendation though -- I looked at the review and this looks like a solid sub.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienide09 View Post

I'm slowly building out a HT setup or a small basement/entertainment room. I need some advice on a budget sub that will complement my current system without overwhelming it.

Current setup:
2 KEF Q100 bookshelf as fronts
1 KEF Q200c center channel
Connected to a Pioneer VSX-1021
Recently acquired floor model CV CMX10s

Requirement: Using bookshelf speakers means I'm lacking some bass (though so far I'm very impressed with the KEF Q100s otherwise)
Room dimensions: 12' X 12' X 8' ceiling
Use: movies, TV, casual music listening when entertaining
Habits/requirements: I don't need/want any heavy pounding, and this is a condo with a shared wall, so nothing that will disturb my neighbours
Setup location/appearance: due to the room layout, the sub *may* end up in a cabinet underneath the TV (about 18" clearance) or in a closet at the back of the room.
Budget: ideally sub-$300 CDN

I was recently in my local home AV store and they were selling a floor model Cerwin-Vega CMX10s. It's a little banged up cosmetically, but works fine, and is fully returnable. I picked it up on a whim then brought it home to check reviews, but I'm having trouble finding any solid recommendations other than the same 6 from Amazon. Based on what I have found, the CVs seem to be known for heavy bass, something I don't really need. The MSRP on these was $500 USD (I paid considerably less) but the model is discontinued.

So, should I keep the CV even if it might be too much for my tastes? Or should I look for something different? Any help is appreciated.

In my experience Cerwin Vega's are generally known for playing loud while not extending very deep. You can get a Dayton sub-1200 from solen.ca for around 200$ shipped (maybe more or less depending on where you live).
Whether or not it would be worth it depends on what you payed for the Vega.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page