SVS SB13-ULTRA a good match for Paradigm Studio 60 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all, im adding the almost final piece to my sound setup (rears and potentially poweramp will come) and im looking to upgrade my subwoofer

Current subwoofer : Yamaha YST-SW-315
Current Amplifier : Yamaha RX-V1900
Front Speakers : Paradigm Studio 60
Centre : Paradigm Signature c3 v1
Rears : none yet, will add before the end of the year.

Requirements
prefer 12" as my room is only 15ft x 15ft (5m x 5m)
prefer sealed - i understand these sound better musically
price range $2000-3000 NZD

Ive had a few people on here tell me i should look at upgrading my subwoofer, and as i am a lover of quality bass i would love to see what i am missing out on !

I have been reccomended to look at the SVS brand of subwoofers .. so the one that comes to my mind is

SVS SB13-Ultra http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/svs-speakers-subs/subwoofers/sealed/svs-subwoofer-sb13-ultra.html

Also having heard great things about velodyne there is this
Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra 12 - http://www.paulmoney.co.nz/shop/subwoofers/velodyne-spl1200ultra12/

This fits what i am looking for .. 12-15", D class amp powered, lots of power.

It is also sealed, which i understand sounds better musically. My main listening purpose is music (drum'n'bass and other electronic music), then PC / PS3 gaming, and lastly movies .. maybe 1-5% movie use .. so music really is the focus here.

I live in New Zealand, so our choices are somewhat limited as to what we can purchase, but i have tracked down these 3 retailers.

http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/subwoofers-1.html
http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Products/Speakers/Subwoofers/Subwoofers-__I.27756__C.27285
http://www.paulmoney.co.nz/shop/subwoofers/

Im leaning towards the SVS SB13 Ultra at this stage, any input would be appreciated :-) I do enjoy heavy bass !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Both subs should serve you well, my concern is the 15 X 15 room. A square room is a tricky room to work with. Is the intended sub used for like a 1-2 seating arrangement? I think if it were up to me I would lean towards the SVS route also. I perceive it to have more headroom and a guy could put the savings elsewhere. It’s SQ reputation is quite stellar!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #3 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

correct, 1-2 people seating arrangement. to be honest the room will be completely re-arranged when i move house within the next 1-3 months (going to look at a place tonight!)

Realistically its far from ideal in terms of placement, and i hope to have it setup considerably better in my new location. all of the gear is in my bedroom, as its hooked up to a PC, and a racing simulator pod with a 3DTV in front of it

Here is a poor diagram of it .. majority of my listening is done from the computer chair. as i said its far from ideal, and i hope in my new bedroom i can set everything up considerably better so i can listen better !

if i ever watch movies (maybe once every 3 months) i would watch from my bed.

perhaps i have the measurements wrong, it may be closer to 15x12

Due to the size of the room there isnt a better way to set it up unfortunately. i have gotten out the drawing board countless times! hence looking for a new place biggrin.gif
IMAG0208.jpg 870k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0208.jpg (869.6 KB, 22 views)
post #4 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Cool! I have heard/seen some great reviews of what it’s like to have a race simulation as you do. Is yours set up to where you feel the road through your steering wheel and maybe the peddle? Congrats on the new house or apt! cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #5 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sure is, it has a full force feedback setup so the wheel gives excellent vibration of the road / rumble strips when driving over them .. its really a great experience !

it will be a house, 3 bedroom with a deck and full heating throughout ! the lounge/living area is used for party gathering, hence the main reason i dont want all my shiny expensive toys in there !

My local sound dealer advised me that his pick would be the Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra, which he will do for $2500NZD .. and the SVS SB13-Ultra is only $2000.

i do not know much about comparing charts for subwoofers .. could someone advise me in which areas each sub may excel compared to the other, and why i should potentially pick one over the other ?

I see the SVS has 3600w dynamic peak power, whereas the velodyne has 2400w peak power, does this mean much in the real world?

Also, the Velodyne has a DSP built in, which with the SVS it would be up to my amplifier (yamaha rx-v1900) .. what does this mean for me ?

Im 99% certain one of these subs will be the one i buy , just need to be able to differientate between the two .. remember music is the #1 listening choice here!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

My audio stockist is reccomending the Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra over the SVS SB13 Ultra, as he has heard the Velodyne and had advised me it is a very fast subwoofer and performs amazingly.

I can get the Velodyne for 10% more $$ than the SVS SB13 Ultra .. ignoring cost value (im happy to pay the cost of the velodyne) which subwoofer performs better ?

The SVS SB13 Ultra Retails for $2099 NZD here
the Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra retails for $2999, but i have been offered it for $2499.

I think i am heading towards the velodyne sub .. simply because they have more control features. the weight of the SVS was something that made me think it must have been better, but on research it turns out its because they dont use neodymidium magnets.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Paradigm Studio 60

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page