Upgrade-itis Setting in....Request Opinions and Guidance. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello fellow AVS members:

Lurking member here. I found this site last year when looking for a budget sub, which lead to my upgrade from my Onkyo HTIB sub to an Energy S-10.3. Initially I was thrilled, but I made the mistake of continuing to visit this site regularly. Now I'm feeling the need to upgrade, since when I listened to the War of the worlds reference scene, I was disappointed.

I have the following setup:

Denon AVR 1912 Receiver
Pioneer Sp-fs51 5.0 Surround speaker System
PlayStation 3
LG 3d Blu-ray player
LG 47" Led 3d HDTV
Energy S10.3 Sub

The room I have my setup in is only 10' by 11' with 7' ceiling. Based on the size, I've been leaning towards a 12" sub, thinking a 15" is too much, both in terms of size and output. I'm currently considering either the SVS PB-12 NSD or the Rhythmik LV12R. Am I on the right track, or should I be considering others?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Steve R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
There is no such thing is too much subwoofer...the more headroom the better. In that small room I would go sealed. A PSA XS15 for 749.00 shipped would work awsome in that room!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

There is no such thing is too much subwoofer...the more headroom the better. In that small room I would go sealed. A PSA XS15 for 749.00 shipped would work awsome in that room!

+1. You can never have too much sub. I too would go sealed like the PSA basshead mentions or the SVS SB12-NSD which costs less and will easily perform in that room.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Basshead81 and rnatalli,

Thanks for the input. Would either of these subs be good for music? Would one be better over another? I have found that I listen to music a lot more since I put this system together and I'm able to access my iTunes library. I know you can't have everything in a single unit, but I would like to get as close as I can for the money.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The PSA will have the advantage in output, but SVS subs are incredibly linear. Either one will handle music perfectly. I would go with the SVS in this case and save yourself $100, but if you think you'll need a bigger sub in the near future, go with the PSA. Another option is the SVS SB-1000 which is $499 shipped. Not as robust as the NSD, but still a great sub for the money.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm not moving anytime soon, but I may do some remodeling to open up the room by a few more feet. At the most extending the overall floor space to 10' x 15'. I don't think that will change things much.

I checked out the XS-15 and I have to admit it looks tempting. Going to take some measurements when I get home in August. After I get past the wife and mother's birthdays, I'll be pulling the trigger, probably on the XS-15 or the Rythmik LV12R.

Thanks.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page