Dayton SUB 1200 and RX467 Yamaha Reciever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told you want to set the sub gain till it makes the recievers sub gain +0db, but ive also heard to not turn the sub above halfway

to get my YPAO auto calibration to set the sub at 0db, I have to effectly set the sub at around 2-4oclock

is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 426
What size room are you in and how far are you from the SW?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #3 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's not that important... You just want the end result so that the sub is balanced with the output of the other channels.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

What size room are you in and how far are you from the SW?

im in a 14x14 room, and its...4ft away from me lol, using it on my computer
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Taylor View Post

im in a 14x14 room, and its...4ft away from me lol, using it on my computer

correction 7ft from me in the corner, ontop of 1inch thick wood instead of my carpet

but that 7ft is sideways to the left, its 7ft to the left and on the floor near the corner.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

3o clock nets me at -0.5db on the receiver.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

It's not that important... You just want the end result so that the sub is balanced with the output of the other channels.

This.

Don't worry too much about the "advice" you were given.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

This.

Don't worry too much about the "advice" you were given.

well is 3 o clock on my sub bad for it or anything, I can't really tell if its boomy as this is my first sub, unless i sit near a wall, then the bass is like 10x louder, b

Also my sub has 2 rca inputs but my receiver has 1 sub output, a rx467 reciever.

Would using a y splitter gain me any volume? I have plugged into the red mono in currently with 1 rca
post #9 of 10 Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Taylor View Post

well is 3 o clock on my sub bad for it or anything, I can't really tell if its boomy as this is my first sub, unless i sit near a wall, then the bass is like 10x louder

So you have noticed louder bass near the walls. This is where all the fun begins! Are you sitting more in the centre of the room?

The first step in any setup is optimising speaker and listening position placement for any given room. Bad placement (like listening from the centre of the room) will force the sub to play a lot louder in order to achieve the necessary dB level from where you listen from. Doing so will create more distortion and less control.

To get a rough idea of what different placement options could do, have a play with this room and speaker calculator...

http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html#websites

(put in your room dimensions and select speakers and subs closest to your own)

A frequency response measurement of your room would quickly show if you have boomy bass. A large peak in the frequency response followed by a large null is what boomy bass looks like on a graph.

Imagine the benefits of better orientation of your room that gives you the low frequency dB levels with the sub at a much lower volume setting and also a frequency response that is smooth free from large peaks and dips. Bass will have tone to it where instruments will actually sound more like the real instruments. Cellos will sound like cellos and kettle drums will sound like kettle drums etc.

Quote:
Also my sub has 2 rca inputs but my receiver has 1 sub output, a rx467 reciever.

Would using a y splitter gain me any volume? I have plugged into the red mono in currently with 1 rca

No, one RCA plug in is all you need.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

So you have noticed louder bass near the walls. This is where all the fun begins! Are you sitting more in the centre of the room?

The first step in any setup is optimising speaker and listening position placement for any given room. Bad placement (like listening from the centre of the room) will force the sub to play a lot louder in order to achieve the necessary dB level from where you listen from. Doing so will create more distortion and less control.

To get a rough idea of what different placement options could do, have a play with this room and speaker calculator...

http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html#websites

(put in your room dimensions and select speakers and subs closest to your own)

A frequency response measurement of your room would quickly show if you have boomy bass. A large peak in the frequency response followed by a large null is what boomy bass looks like on a graph.

Imagine the benefits of better orientation of your room that gives you the low frequency dB levels with the sub at a much lower volume setting and also a frequency response that is smooth free from large peaks and dips. Bass will have tone to it where instruments will actually sound more like the real instruments. Cellos will sound like cellos and kettle drums will sound like kettle drums etc.
No, one RCA plug in is all you need.

Well i'm somewhat limited as this is mostly for movies/music/fps games on a desktop computer, so my left and right fronts are 3ft away, my subwoofer is in the left corner 6ft away, and my side surrounds are both 5ft away on the left and right a tiny bit behind me. I will try that calculator.

This is my room setup, 1 and 2 is the fronts, 3 is the sub, 4 and 5 are the surrounds which hangup on nails on the walls, and D is my dresser
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page