Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 223 Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Does anyone here own one or two of these?? I would love to hear one, I mean own one biggrin.gif

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_thor.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 223 Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Does anyone here own one or two of these?? I would love to hear one, I mean own one biggrin.gif

I doubt too many people anywhere have two of these (or one). For 21.5 grand they'll deliver it and set the 410 pound beast up for you, but you supply the amplifier. Such a deal! I did see a pair of these (at first I didn't know what the heck they were) when I auditioned the JL Audio F212 (they also had a pair of JL Gotham subs on the showroom floor but not hooked up). I didn't think it was a good idea to audition Thor's Hammer, since I didn't want to have that sound in my head when listening to the F212. While I was there, I saw a pair of Wilson MAXX 3 speakers heading out the door. They also had a pair of Wilson Alexandria speakers set up as well. I'd say 195 grand for the Alexandria is just a wee bit out of my budget.
post #3 of 223 Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:

Does anyone here own one or two of these?? I would love to hear one, I mean own one
I would love one too. So I can sell it, buy a much better subwoofer, and bank the leftover cash.
its phillip likes this.
post #4 of 223 Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Having a 400lb beast moved into place for you is definitely convenient, but maybe only worth the price of buying a dolly and 3 cases of beer for a few friends.

From a DIY perspective, dual 15"s in 9.5 ft3 internal (assuming cabinet walls are 2.25" thick, and plenty of bracing) tuned to 16hz isnt exactly ground breaking.
post #5 of 223 Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Having a 400lb beast moved into place for you is definitely convenient, but maybe only worth the price of buying a dolly and 3 cases of beer for a few friends.

From a DIY perspective, dual 15"s in 9.5 ft3 internal (assuming cabinet walls are 2.25" thick, and plenty of bracing) tuned to 16hz isnt exactly ground breaking.

It seems there is a market for everyone, or Mr. Wilson wouldn't be in business. Those that don't blink an eye at paying that kind of money for Thor's Hammer (or any Wilson Audio product) probably don't drink beer or have friends that would help move the beast (they'd use the hired help). Although I really don't like the looks or style of their speakers all that much, they are quite unique and have the finest finishes I've ever seen on any product.

Putting it into perspective, the sales tax in California on Thor's Hammer (and a decent amp that can drive it) can almost pay for a Seaton SubMersive. Really kind of blows my mind. I remember standing in front of (and looking up at) the 650 pound Alexandria and thought to myself, "So this is how the rich wet their audio appetite."

BTW, that is some very nice looking speakers that you've built.
post #6 of 223 Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Agreed. My 4 FTW21's and the 8 12" drivers, a sufficiency of pro amps and DSP cost well under 1/2 that, plus some sweat equity. For the change from the Wilsons (especially what they will cost down here) I could have paid someone to build and finish them as well.
post #7 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:

Does anyone here own one or two of these?? I would love to ...own one.
Why? Its a 2x15 ported sub, hardly groundbreaking technology. All that makes it 'special' is being priced ten times what it's worth.
oneeyeblind and Lecter83 like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
For 21.5 grand they'll deliver it and set the 410 pound beast up for you, but you supply the amplifier. Such a deal!
I was skeptical at first, but when I read that the cabinet is "constructed primarily from Wilson Audio's proprietary X material", it all made sense... wink.gif
post #9 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nobody said it was ground breaking, but do all subs with dual 15's sound the same? The title of the thread was has anyone heard one or own one, But for some reason people completely dodge the question and go right to the bashing. I have seen these subs in the past and I just wanted to see if any members owned one or heard one. No biggie, just curiosity man.
post #10 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Why? Its a 2x15 ported sub, hardly groundbreaking technology. All that makes it 'special' is being priced ten times what it's worth.
Have you ever demoed one?
post #11 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Nobody said it was ground breaking, but do all subs with dual 15's sound the same? The title of the thread was has anyone heard one or own one, But for some reason people completely dodge the question and go right to the bashing. I have seen these subs in the past and I just wanted to see if any members owned one or heard one. No biggie, just curiosity man.

If someone took a groundplane measurement of the Wilson, pulled the drivers and ran the ts parameters, and measured the port dimensions + actually internal volume (or if someone sends one to databass for Ricci to do all of the above), I guarantee you I could build a sub that sounds identical to the Wilson for 1/10th the price. There isnt anything mythical about sub design.

As for your actual question, you might try asking here. The people who buy stuff like Wilson dont co-mingle with us "regular" folk.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/86/ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000
post #12 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you ever demoed one?
One of the perks of being a professional acoustical engineer and loudspeaker designer is not having to demo a speaker to predict how it will work, and whether it's capable of living up to unsubstantiated advertising hype unaccompanied by any peer reviewed performance data. wink.gif
oneeyeblind and Lecter83 like this.

post #13 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I was skeptical at first, but when I read that the cabinet is "constructed primarily from Wilson Audio's proprietary X material", it all made sense... wink.gif

wink.gifwink.gif
Quote:
“The cabinet itself is constructed primarily from Wilson Audio's proprietary X material, an extremely dense and hard composite that achieves the seemingly contradictory attributes of high rigidity and high damping. Reducing cabinet resonance to irrelevancy is the sine qua non of accurate and grain-free music reproduction.”

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #14 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

You mean own without having to purchase, I'm with you. My own money? Like other Wilson products, will just have to do without. Should sound nice, but I have no idea even where to go to get an audition...

post #15 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

My friend I wish you luck wink.gif
post #16 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You mean own without having to purchase, I'm with you. My own money? Like other Wilson products, will just have to do without. Should sound nice, but I have no idea even where to go to get an audition...

You can find it here (if you live close enough): Sunny's Home Theater & Music Systems. Custom High-End Audio & Video ... 1370 E. Cypress Street Suite D • Covina, CA - 91724 Tel: 626-966-6259. They have a lot of Wilson Audio products along with JL Audio (including the Gotham and Fathoms). Anyway, that's where I auditioned the Fathom.
post #17 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually, the title of the thread is "Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer" in which you asked if anyone owns one or two. I felt you would get absolutely no response (I don't know anyone who owns one), but thought this thread deserved some type of response, since it's an interesting product that has an extremely limited market.
post #18 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You can find it here (if you live close enough): Sunny's Home Theater & Music Systems. Custom High-End Audio & Video ... 1370 E. Cypress Street Suite D • Covina, CA - 91724 Tel: 626-966-6259. They have a lot of Wilson Audio products along with JL Audio (including the Gotham and Fathoms). Anyway, that's where I auditioned the Fathom.

My brother was born in West Covina but that's 400 miles or so south....there's probably something around here altho a google of wilson audio and my zip code didn't come up with much at all...with all the silicon valley money you'd think that would be easier. No big deal, I'd rather travel to see an AVSer's DIY project instead.

post #19 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

since it's an interesting product
It's not interesting in any regard except for it's absurd price.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #20 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

This. There isn't going to be anything exceptional about this sub performance wise. It isn't going to be using special drivers or some miracle amp. It's cabinet is nice, sure, but you could commission a cabinet builder to make something a lot better for a lot less. Hell, if you want to get really fancy, you could commission a marble works to make a marble cabinet for less. This is just dumb.
post #21 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To you, perhaps. I find Wilson Audio an interesting company with interesting products. Yes, they are ridiculously expensive, but hardly the most expensive. There are amplifiers and turntables that cost over 600k each. Transmission Audio has a made-to-build speaker system for 2 million. I find all these interesting, and not for just the fact that they are over-the-top high dollar amounts. They are over-the-top designs. One can see a lot of esoteric and "interesting" equipment on HigherFi.com. Simply put, these are mere trifles for the ultra rich, while us mortals worry over the cost of a $1000 sub.
realjetavenger likes this.
post #22 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11

This photo is before the owner bought Thor's Hammer.

Bass, please. Shaken, not stirred.
post #23 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To you, perhaps. I find Wilson Audio an interesting company with interesting products
What do you find so interesting about them? If you like over-the-top designs, this is mild compared to dozens of system that you can see in the DIY section. There are also commercial systems which could top this handily, see the Funk 18.2 or Paradigm Sub 2. They both also look a lot nicer and come with more features as well. One notable absence I see on the Thor's Hammer is flared porting, but I guess chuffing adds to the 'luxuriating yet airy bass presence'. You know what I find interesting about Wilson: their frequency response for their Alexandria XLF, an ostensibly $200,000 speaker system:

Or how about this hilariously bad response from their $60k MAXX setup:
post #24 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To you, perhaps. I find Wilson Audio an interesting company with interesting products.
They make nothing that isn't generic if overpriced. No interesting technology or anything that makes them special with the possible exception of the box material. I say possible because I've seen no actual evidence that it is actually better than one made with conventional materials and construction. The sub that is the title of this thread is, to paraphrase Jay, a couple of 15" drivers in a largish box tuned to 16Hz and there is nothing on the site that indicates anything special involved in the design of the motor, which I'm sure would be trumpeted if it were present. The processor has little capability, easily bettered by a $100 MiniDSP. Money would be far better spent on a half dozen PB13 Ultras, properly placed and integrated. You'd likely get more output and go a long way to ameliorating the effect of the room modes.
Quote:

Simply put, these are mere trifles for the ultra rich, while us mortals worry over the cost of a $1000 sub.
So, how does that make it interesting for anyone else? Unless you're impressed with other peopl's baubles.
Having heard some Wilson speakers in the past, I thought they were incredibly unimpressive. I would not buy any, even if I won the lottery.
post #25 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are over-the-top designs..
Only in price. They don't sound any better than speakers a tenth the price and less. I will grant that most of them are uncommonly ugly. eek.gif
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #26 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxht View Post

This photo is before the owner bought Thor's Hammer.

Those speakers look like hammer'd dog doo.
post #27 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, how does that make it interesting for anyone else? Unless you're impressed with other peopl's baubles.
Having heard some Wilson speakers in the past, I thought they were incredibly unimpressive. I would not buy any, even if I won the lottery.

I didn't say they would be interesting for "anyone else". You made the blanket statement, not I. I didn't start the thread. You act like I'm defending Wilson Audio and their insane prices. I thought there might be interest, that's why I responded to the thread. I simply stated that I find Wilson Audio interesting, as I do many esoteric companies and designs, and because I do I've somehow offended your sensibilities? I'm sorry, A9X-308, your comments make little sense. I could not care less about what baubles other people have. Why should I? I have enough baubles of my own.
post #28 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I quite like the styling of the speakers. They are so big and so unique they definitely make a statement. I heard the alexandria's once and they sounded quite nice. At the time my audio knowledge was more limited however the piano sounded very life like and the imaging was very good. I dont think they are worth the price but they are unique.
post #29 of 223 Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I didn't say they would be interesting for "anyone else". You made the blanket statement, not I. I didn't start the thread. You act like I'm defending Wilson Audio and their insane prices. I thought there might be interest, that's why I responded to the thread. I simply stated that I find Wilson Audio interesting, as I do many esoteric companies and designs, and because I do I've somehow offended your sensibilities? I'm sorry, A9X-308, your comments make little sense. I could not care less about what baubles other people have. Why should I? I have enough baubles of my own.

Wish you would've stayed on the main road biggrin.gif I for one find Wilson's to be well designed and nice speakers and if given the option and of course having the funds at my disposal, I would consider them on my to hear list. I'm sure David Wilson won't miss a few sales here and of course the real shame is none that have posted have actually heard the sub in question. Out of sheer curiosity I want to know what it sounds like, now as to if I'd buy it that would depend on how it sounds wink.gif
post #30 of 223 Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Wish you would've stayed on the main road biggrin.gif I for one find Wilson's to be well designed and nice speakers and if given the option and of course having the funds at my disposal, I would consider them on my to hear list. I'm sure David Wilson won't miss a few sales here and of course the real shame is none that have posted have actually heard the sub in question. Out of sheer curiosity I want to know what it sounds like, now as to if I'd buy it that would depend on how it sounds wink.gif

Yeah, I probably should have at least auditioned the Hammer. Matter-of-fact, the owner asked me if I wanted to hear it. Heck, I could have auditioned a half-dozen Wilson Audio products, but just didn't see the point. Obviously, the owner didn't see me pull up in my 1997 Camaro:). I actually was there to audition the JL Audio F113 Fathom, but it wasn't on the showroom floor. They had two G213 Gotham subs, but they weren't hooked up (man, they are stunners!) and a pair of F212 Fathoms. I auditioned the F212s.

After the audition, I came down to reality and purchased an SVS for my stereo system and a PSA a month or so later (on July 4th) for my TV room. The PSA should be delivered sometime this year … I think.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page