Dayton sub 1200 vs 2 Yamaha YST-SW216 subs for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have two tower speakers (I think they have either 8" or 10" woofers included) and they sound nice, but they can't quite play as low as I want. I will be putting this system in a small space (college dorm room) and it will be used exclusively for music; I listen primarily to EDM and hip hop, so lots of bass heavy music. I'm not very picky about quality, the music I listen doesn't really require much accuracy; I'm more interested in loud, floor shaking bass.

I made a thread a few days ago and think I have pretty much decided on the Dayton Sub 1200 for $129 shipped (here http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374366124&sr=8-1&keywords=dayton+sub+1200)

However, I came across this on craigslist and was wondering if it was any better of a deal. http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/ele/3924582447.html
It's two yamaha yst-sw216 subs, as seen on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW216BL-Subwoofer/dp/B000FJ89UO
I could probably get the pair for like $70. I was just wondering how these would compare to the single dayton sub 1200 in terms of output? The dayton has 20% more power than the pair of yamaha's, but the pair of yamaha's would have more cone area. Not sure which would be the better deal for someone looking for a lot of bass for a small area like a college dorm.

Also, I won't be using it for watching movies or anything, so home theater use is irrelevant in this scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Those Yamahas are a complete joke. The Dayton will easily smoke the pair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Fair enough, i think after all ive read, I've decided on the dayton 1200

I feel like it will have some pretty solid output in my small room
post #4 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 AM

I have the dayton sub 1200, and it shook half my house until i put plywood under it.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Taylor View Post

I have the dayton sub 1200, and it shook half my house until i put plywood under it.

I like the sound of that lol

What does the plywood do? Help less of the bass get absorbed by the floor it's sitting on?
post #6 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf3090 View Post

I like the sound of that lol

What does the plywood do? Help less of the bass get absorbed by the floor it's sitting on?

Yeah, when i had it on just carpet, the bass hit the floor and everything rattled, now with the plywood i can get everything to rattle, but the walls in the room adjacent to me no longer rattle (which is what i needed), and the bass sounds punchier/better
post #7 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:

Yeah, when i had it on just carpet, the bass hit the floor and everything rattled, now with the plywood i can get everything to rattle, but the walls in the room adjacent to me no longer rattle (which is what i needed), and the bass sounds punchier/better
Putting plywood under the cab will have absolutely no effect on the low bass frequencies. It will serve as a reflective surface for midbass frequencies, and by having those reflect into the room rather than being absorbed by the carpet the subjective result can be that the sub sounds louder in the room, especially where 'punch' is concerned, as that is sourced in the midbass, not the low bass. That might allow you to turn it down without having it seem to be at a lower volume, which could reduce pass through to other rooms. I know what it is that you think you're hearing, but only by taking in-room response measurements both ways can you actually know what you're hearing.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Putting plywood under the cab will have absolutely no effect on the low bass frequencies. It will serve as a reflective surface for midbass frequencies, and by having those reflect into the room rather than being absorbed by the carpet the subjective result can be that the sub sounds louder in the room, especially where 'punch' is concerned, as that is sourced in the midbass, not the low bass. That might allow you to turn it down without having it seem to be at a lower volume, which could reduce pass through to other rooms. I know what it is that you think you're hearing, but only by taking in-room response measurements both ways can you actually know what you're hearing.

hmm i didn't know about this, does the way i have it setup in any way lower the bass quality?
post #9 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmm i didn't know about this, does the way i have it setup in any way lower the bass quality?
It doesn't affect the low bass at all, so if you like the way it sounds better with the plywood than without leave it there. However, I mistakenly assumed that you had a downfiring sub, which would explain why it sounds different with plywood beneath it. But the 1200 isn't downfiring, so it shouldn't have any effect, other than placebo effect. Again, the only way to really know what's going on, if anything, is by measuring the response both ways.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

It doesn't affect the low bass at all, so if you like the way it sounds better with the plywood than without leave it there. However, I mistakenly assumed that you had a downfiring sub, which would explain why it sounds different with plywood beneath it. But the 1200 isn't downfiring, so it shouldn't have any effect, other than placebo effect. Again, the only way to really know what's going on, if anything, is by measuring the response both ways.

"This powered sub features a bottom-firing, flared port, bass reflex design for reduced port noise and increased bass response. It also utilizes a long-throw 12" woofer and up to 120 watts of house-shaking power."

description from dayton. i believe its downfiring.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"This powered sub features a bottom-firing, flared port, bass reflex design for reduced port noise and increased bass response. It also utilizes a long-throw 12" woofer and up to 120 watts of house-shaking power."

description from dayton. i believe its downfiring.
I'm just going by the picture, which shows a forward firing driver.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Port is downfiring, driver is forward firing.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Port is downfiring, driver is forward firing.
That being the case the plywood shouldn't do much, if anything, as the only frequencies radiated by the port are very low frequencies with wavelengths too long to be affected by the density of what lies beneath. However, one added factor is the distance between the port exit and the floor, which will have an effect on the tuning of the sub. Resting on plywood the feet won't sink in as they will on carpet. You actually can fine tune the response of down firing subs, be it the driver or port that down fires, by adjusting the height of the cab off the floor. But doing so requires measuring the response to see the effect, otherwise it's pure trial and error.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Yamaha Yst Sw216bl Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sw216bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page