Help with odd shaped room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I need a little help before I move to the next level. I am running an RX-A3010 with CDM7SE and Definitive BP2006 tl as front and wides. I have A Velodyne HGS-12 which is next to the TV and sounds great. I have Defiinitive Mythos sides and B&W rears. I added an SVS PB12 Plus about a year ago for the extra umph I needed. I moved it around and one of the best placements is BETWEEN the Couch and Recliner. I have the subs running through a Velodyne SMS1 I love the SVS 99% of the time, but it just isn't quite enough. The room is too big.

Long story short, here is the question: My room is about 20x30. The problem is it is an OPEN FLOOR PLAN, so the living room opens off into a hallway and kitchen, so it is really more like 30x42 with a small room offset in the main room. I will try to attach an archaic drawing for visualization.
What sub would you go with in an area this big, I am on a $1500 (maybe up to $2000 if I squeeze) budget and see a pair of the older 750w PB-13 ultra, or a JTR that I could possibly get. I just don't want to do this again for a couple years.

Help, please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
I would sell the velodyne and pb12 plus and get a pair of matching subs. You should be able to get around 12-1400 for both of your previous subs combined with the 2k budget leaves you with some options.

I would start with 2-4 subs imo. Place one/two up front and one/two near-field.

my Recommendation's would be:

Dual Rythmik FV15HP's for 2574.00 shipped

Dual PSA XV30's for 2658.00 shipped

Dual SVS PC-13 Ultras for 3199.00 shipped

Tri PSA XS30's for 32xx.00 shipped

Tri HSU VTF-15's for 29xx.00 shipped

Quad PSA XV15's for 3016.20 shipped.

Quad HSU VTF3-MK4's for 2992.00 shipped
post #3 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Try moving the SVS sub right behind your listening position, see if that helps. The closer you can get it to you, the less of a factor the room becomes, and the more powerful it sounds. And I agree with basshead, the ideal is to have matching subs. If you want something that will tackle your room easily and can do a little bit of construction yourself, sell your subs and get four of these cabinet flat packs, four of the SI 18" D4 drivers from here, a couple of these iNuke amps, and something to EQ it all like this miniDSP. Put it all together, put a nice veneer on it, and you will have a monster system which no equivalently priced subwoofer system could dream of matching at just over $2k. Yeah, it's a bit of a project, but all the cutting is already done for you, which if you ask me is the hard part. All you need to do is slap it together. The resulting overall SPL capability would be many times what you have now, and the sound quality would go way up as well. Plus, -the best part- all your friends would be jealous.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Try moving the SVS sub right behind your listening position, see if that helps. The closer you can get it to you, the less of a factor the room becomes, and the more powerful it sounds. And I agree with basshead, the ideal is to have matching subs. If you want something that will tackle your room easily and can do a little bit of construction yourself, sell your subs and get four of these cabinet flat packs, four of the SI 18" D4 drivers from here, a couple of these iNuke amps, and something to EQ it all like this miniDSP. Put it all together, put a nice veneer on it, and you will have a monster system which no equivalently priced subwoofer system could dream of matching at just over $2k. Yeah, it's a bit of a project, but all the cutting is already done for you, which if you ask me is the hard part. All you need to do is slap it together. The resulting overall SPL capability would be many times what you have now, and the sound quality would go way up as well. Plus, -the best part- all your friends would be jealous.

I agree that going DIY would be a good option in this situation being the OP can tackle it. 4 SI 18's would schweet! smile.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

The WAF of 4 DIY would never go over. I could get away with a pair of PB13 (there is a pair of the 750w about 5 hours from me) or I could hide a JTR between my couch and chair again (or behind as you suggested. I could probably get away with 2 DIY lms5400's since someone is making pro looking boxes for them right now. (Unfortunately I don't have skills in that area) Of those, which would be the best choice to fill the 30x40ish area?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

sell your subs and get four of these cabinet flat packs, four of the SI 18" D4 drivers from here, a couple of these iNuke amps, and something to EQ it all like this miniDSP. Put it all together, put a nice veneer on it, and you will have a monster system which no equivalently priced subwoofer system could dream of matching at just over $2k.

Ok, looking this over now too.....cool.gif Would a pair of the SI DIY kits be in the same league as 1 JTR Cap?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
A word of caution that you might not know or thought about is that the iNUKE is noted for being on the noisy side concerning fan noise. Running two of them would definitely be noisy unless you had a separate room for your amps. There are fan mods out there but it will negate your warranty hacking into your amp. I have tried to be creative in my placement options concerning outboard amps and it has helped. Nothing is like no fan though. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehenya View Post

Ok, looking this over now too.....cool.gif Would a pair of the SI DIY kits be in the same league as 1 JTR Cap?

Maybe my post didnt come thru too clear so i will try again smile.gif

You have alot of space to fill approaching 10000^3. Its going to take multiple subs to get anywere near a imax experience or better witha decent FR response. I guess maybe it would be better if you stated your goal before going anyfurther. are you looking for clean reference capability down to 15hz??
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

I think you might need a better driver than that for two to equal a captivator. A couple of these UXL 18s could be more comparable to a captivator, although there aren't any flat pack cabinets for those. You might be able to use the same flat packs and modify them for the UXL. I think you could use the same iNuke amp for those, and you would only need one. A dual UXL drive with everything should cost you well under $2k. You should inquire more about a project like that in the DIY section.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The WAF of 4 DIY would never go over.

I did see your recommendation for four DIY's to cover the space, but I can't get away with 4, only 2. I don't want an iMax theater, like most of you....I want something better biggrin.gif
I appreciate the recommendation though, it seems like a heck of a sub for the $.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any chance you can change the setup? The open sides to the left are giving you an asymmetrical setup, which is suboptimal. It's not as critical as it would be if the room were smaller, but if that were my room I'd most likely shift the setup 90 degrees clockwise, so the kitchen and the bathroom were behind me.

Gaining the symmetry would then make it easier to get the low end and the soundstage right, and might not even require any equipment upgrades.

These articles might help:
http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm
http://realtraps.com/art_basics.htm
post #12 of 12 Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately the room is set up in it's one and only position. There are 3 doorways to the outside I didn't show in the drawing. I wish I could. Since I can only go with ONE PAIR of subs, what do you guys think would be the best in an area like this? Again, the budget would be under 2k and fan noise is a minor concern since it is next to the eating area/kitchen. Seating is about 15' from the other components (Emotiva and RX-A), so that is where an external amp would live too.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page