Budget subwoofer for apartment: Energy S12.3 vs Emotiva Ultra 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have been slowly building up a modest home theater and am ready to complete it (for now) with a subwoofer. I have an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver with Polk M70 fronts, M50 rears (old fronts before upgrade), and a CS2 center. It will be set up in a small-medium room that is about 10x16x8 that also opens up into a small kitchen area as well for a total of about 10x21x8. It being an apartment, I do not want to over do the bass since I will only be able to push the sub on weekends and evenings to avoid angry neighbors. I have looked at a lot of subs, but it seems hard to justify the higher price tags for such limited use on something like a new HSU or SVS. I will be using it for about 50/50 music (primarily rock/hip-hop/electronic FWIW) /HT and I am more concerned with accuracy than room shaking bass. Right now, I am looking at:

Energy SB12.3 for $200-I like that it will probably fill the room better/go a little lower, but am afraid it might be too much for the neighbors and it is a little older.

Emotiva Ultra 10 for $160-I like that it is sealed and a little more compact, but am concerned it might not be enough especially for movies. I was hoping to track down the Ultra 12 around the $200 mark, but so far have been unable to find anything.

There is also a DT SC2000 for $300 but I think I have eliminated that option.

I am working with a limited budget, but would be open to other recommendations in a similar price range or possibly slightly higher as well. I found an ED A5-350, DT Supercube One and Rythmik F12 for about $500-$600 each, but I think those might be more than I need right now.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 12
Where do you find the Emotiva for 160?
post #3 of 3 Old 07-25-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
It is from a local private seller on CL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Energy S12 3 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page