NOT trying to troll: Anyone else have big issues with ear pain? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a decent sized listening room (12 x 24 x 8), hardwood floors, plaster walls, listening couches in center of room. I bought 2 12" subs, decent manufacturer (PA), listening volumes not extreme. But my eardrums would start to throb, seemingly more from the amount of air the subs were pushing than the frequencies themselves. Moving them around the room did not help. I'm wondering if any others have had this problem and if there were any workarounds that worked. I tried changing the cutoff frequencies but perhaps I didn't try the right approach. Again, please don't interpret this as trolling. There is an entire octave or more that a string bass can play and I can enjoy that my front speakers cannot render- I'd like to find the solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Have you "EQ'd" the system?

Do you have an AVR doing any processing to the sound?

It sounds like you may have some room nodes at play, creating boomy peaks where standing waves occur.

If you walk round the room when it's playing a consistent bass note or beat, does the bass get louder and quieter as you walk round?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My suggestion would be to move the subs around to different locations to see if the problem goes away. Maybe moving them one a week. you'll be surprised at how different it will sound once you start moving them.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
Agreed, problems like that can definitely be rooted in acoustics. Do you have any bass traps in the room? Those will level out any peaks that might be causing the weird resonance in your ears.

These articles might help:
http://realtraps.com/art_basics.htm
http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm
http://www.realtraps.com/art_sub-placement.htm
post #5 of 9 Old 07-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Liked: 10
He mentioned that he has tried moving them around already and it didn't help...
post #6 of 9 Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 76
JapanDave reported a similar sensation, its documented somewhere in the diy speaker section under his sub build thread. I believe his was due to the amplifiers and not the actual subs. Perhaps the class D amp (?) in the subs is causing a similar issue.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #7 of 9 Old 07-27-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Let me thank all of you for taking the time to help here. My listening room is my living room, and due to a fireplace and openings there are only two choices for the subs, front or rear corners along the short-sided walls (listening chairs face the long direction). I just read the thread by JapanDave and my situation is on low frequencies and is a throbbing, not a "ringing". I believe the amps/electronics is worth exploring, although I've never experienced the pain with the subs powered on but no music playing. And I can listen to music at high volumes without the subs playing (my mains are passive, of course). So its somehow the low frequency sounds/hums. The "standing wave" thought seems credible. Alas- can't buy a new house over this. Again, thanks to all of you for taking the time here.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 141
It is the reverb characteristics of the system/room. I cut my sub around 6 dbs for some music which control it very well. That bass hit can be annoying and may lead to hearing loss. I know we read so much about trying to get all the bass from the subs on this and other forums but more is not better all the time. Cut the dbs in the avr's since It can be moved back up with the remote easily. I don't rum my bass hot for music and only sometimes with movies..

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I would run REW and do some room analysis - you might have a massive peak in your room response which could be easily EQd out using a Behrindger Feedback Destroyer smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page