How much would you sell a PB12/2-Plus for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SVS PB12/2-Plus. Originally: $1,200 (black). Got this baby in 2004 (so technically it's called a PB2+),. Still works perfect, Has 2-3 marks that aren't noticeable more than a foot away.

Basically I'm not gonna be able to fit the damn thing in my new place when I move in a couple of months. Could of swore the price of these went up before they were discontinued as well. No idea how these compare to the current one driver models which I may replace this with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
550-600.00
post #3 of 91 Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The only thing questionable is how much longer is the plate amp going to hold up? SVS uses quality amps though, so it may be a non issue.

Based on what someone cant get for their money new right now, I think the lowest you should take is $700, of course actually finding a buyer is another issue altogether...
post #4 of 91 Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in a pretty good area for that sort of thing. I live on the 4th floor and theres no elevator. Getting it up was a blast.......
post #5 of 91 Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder what it would cost new if it was being made today?
post #6 of 91 Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

only reason i said 550-600 is because a member here (rayinst) has a pair for sale at that price...i believe he is still sitting on them for a few months now. Older subs are not a easy sell in that price range.
post #7 of 91 Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

I sold my 2006 PB12-Plus/2 with DB12-2 drivers for $450 in 2011. I listed it for $600 with no takers. Had 3 offers at $400. Told all 3 that the first to offer $450 gets it. The offer came right away. After I sold it, someone offered my original $600.

A lot can depend on where you live, but you have an older amp/drivers and mine was in pristine condition. Good luck.

If you make it back, what do you run now if you don't mind me asking?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #8 of 91 Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 PM

That's a Bass Beast, why sell it?
post #9 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 405
This sub was tested at HTS if anyone wants to compare it to the PSA or other subs being sold nowadays.
post #10 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
$550-600??? That's crazy. You can buy a brand new PSA XV15 for $200 more and it'll probably perform as well, or even better.

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for this sub. It is a 9 year old sub, which is about at the end of its useful life because subwoofer amps don't last that long. Even if amp longevity isn't an issue, the age alone should demand at least 75% off the original price. We're looking at a sub that probably has about 3 more years before the amp starts to fail. Now that I think about it, $300 is generous.
post #11 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Nothing. Sold all my gear , moved from California to North Carolina and bought a gas station. For now, I'm spending all my money at the dentist having teeth pulled so I can fit in with the natives.wink.gif

I take your post as being half serious and half play? If this is the case, good luck with your new endeavor. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #12 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

$550-600??? That's crazy. You can buy a brand new PSA XV15 for $200 more and it'll probably perform as well, or even better.

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for this sub. It is a 9 year old sub, which is about at the end of its useful life because subwoofer amps don't last that long. Even if amp longevity isn't an issue, the age alone should demand at least 75% off the original price. We're looking at a sub that probably has about 3 more years before the amp starts to fail. Now that I think about it, $300 is generous.

The PB 12/2 is a dual driver sub more comparable to the XV30 than the 15.

I'm not making any value judgement but I'd start with a high price and then start coming down until someone bites.
post #13 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

This sub was tested at HTS if anyone wants to compare it to the PSA or other subs being sold nowadays.

I was over there looking for the data and allcthe graphs are gone...do you have a link?
post #14 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Thinking about it, I think I would go with what Low is suggesting maybe +100?? (big if) but that would be it! Things have changed imo and the landscape keeps changing. 9 years old, mmm.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #15 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I was over there looking for the data and allcthe graphs are gone...do you have a link?

Weird. That page is gutted.
post #16 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

post #17 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Something I never could understand is why the Ultra-2 came in under the single Ultra? In no way shape or form is this graph a professional representation of their performance I agree, but at the time it was what I read at the same placement option. For some reason the Ultra-2 started to compress much earlier than I expected??

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #18 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 12
Allen, as point of reference, I am selling a mint PB12 PLUS/2 with the 12.3 drivers and low usage for $900.00. These subs are rare and no longer produced, due to the cost of shipping, because of the weight and size. Shipping has to be via freight forwarding trucking companies. This is the biggest hurdle. Mine has generated a lot of interest, but logistics is the issue. I am located in Central California, and have offered to even drive to meet a commited buyer halfway from Nor Cal or So cal. Mine is listed in the Audioholics and Polk Forums Classifieds, along with the Fresno Craig's List. These are one of the best subwoofers around, and have retained their value, due to very limited availability. I am ONLY selling mine, because we are remodeling our audio/video room, and it simply will not fit in the newly designated area. If not, I would NEVER get rid of it:)
post #19 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Something I never could understand is why the Ultra-2 came in under the single Ultra? In no way shape or form is this graph a professional representation of their performance I agree, but at the time it was what I read at the same placement option. For some reason the Ultra-2 started to compress much earlier than I expected??

Two drivers sharing one plate amp that isn't double the capacity of the single.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
post #20 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Two drivers sharing one plate amp that isn't double the capacity of the single.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Of course... but if I remember correctly that wasn’t the case though. God it’s been so long, but aren’t we talking about roughly 4-500 watt difference here?? From looking at the graph it appears I had the 2 in the 20hz tune option also. Was 25 it’s native tune? I'm pretty sure it was. I know we never get a 6dB bump with a two driver unit, but I was expecting 3...

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It had a real good advantage (4db) until the volume got way up there, reading the graph from right to left. I could be wrong but it looks like it drank the power supplies milkshake. smile.gif

I don't remember for sure but I think the ultra was the only one with a 20hz native.

Your wall socket could be a problem too. I used to be able to blink the lights with a plus/2.
post #22 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Allen, as point of reference, I am selling a mint PB12 PLUS/2 with the 12.3 drivers and low usage for $900.00. These subs are rare and no longer produced, due to the cost of shipping, because of the weight and size. Shipping has to be via freight forwarding trucking companies. This is the biggest hurdle. Mine has generated a lot of interest, but logistics is the issue. I am located in Central California, and have offered to even drive to meet a commited buyer halfway from Nor Cal or So cal. Mine is listed in the Audioholics and Polk Forums Classifieds, along with the Fresno Craig's List. These are one of the best subwoofers around, and have retained their value, due to very limited availability. I am ONLY selling mine, because we are remodeling our audio/video room, and it simply will not fit in the newly designated area. If not, I would NEVER get rid of it:)

I highly doubt you will get 900.00 out of it...just a few minutes of research shows they go for 4-600.00. Does not matter how rare they are, there is plenty of options out there these days in that price range that will compete with it and come with a full warranty. GL
post #23 of 91 Old 07-27-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I highly doubt you will get 900.00 out of it...just a few minutes of research shows they go for 4-600.00. Does not matter how rare they are, there is plenty of options out there these days in that price range that will compete with it and come with a full warranty. GL

You'll have to refresh my memory concerning all these 4- 600 dollar (or even 900 dollar) subs that compete with two real high x-max drivers,

on-board P.E.Q., three tuning options, nine hundred watts, and an amp with an unheard of tiny failure rate. Not counting no sales tax and possibly

no shipping cost.

If that's what they are going for, fine, but to compare them against the current crop of featureless low x-max subs in that price range? Nein doch!
post #24 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your wall socket could be a problem too. I used to be able to blink the lights with a plus/2.

I hadn't thought of that or even considered it.. no flicking lights or anything like that. I can’t imagine it being a electrical issue from the graph albeit our house could use a few repairs.

I’m not saying the +/2 is a bad sub or anything like that! I have lost track of the SVS options I have had in the past (I liked them all) and think they’re a great option.. but we are talking about a 9 year old sub here. If someone thinks it’s worth $900 so be it! I will respectfully disagree.. no biggie. Heck who know's maybe you'll get it? I wouldn't say so from my search though. Back in 06-08 they were going for as little as 8-900.

EDIT> This relic theory carries no weight with me. I’ve sold a dozen of them (still have one) and never realized what's being suggested by anyone in the know. Sure I suppose it could happen, but not in my experience anyway.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #25 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

^ +1
post #26 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

You'll have to refresh my memory concerning all these 4- 600 dollar (or even 900 dollar) subs that compete with two real high x-max drivers,

on-board P.E.Q., three tuning options, nine hundred watts, and an amp with an unheard of tiny failure rate. Not counting no sales tax and possibly

no shipping cost.

If that's what they are going for, fine, but to compare them against the current crop of featureless low x-max subs in that price range? Nein doch!

I was talking about when you get into the 900.00 range, which is what the one poster that I quoted has his listed for.. The VTF-15 is the first sub that comes to mind.

The point is the +/2 is not worth 900.00 according to the ones I have seen sold or are for sale.

Besides why are you in here putting up such a heavy defense? If the +/2 is so mysteriously good, why dont you still own one?
steve nn likes this.
post #27 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 13
I think this is a great and timely topic and warrants a bit of soul searching.

If you think about it, buying a mid-high end sub is one of the best examples of empty capitalism (along with the rest of AVS). But when it comes time to sell it everyone turns into an economist trying to monetize every intangible benefit associated with a piece of dated electronic equipment.

If you buy a sub for $1000, use it for 5-7 years and can sell it overnight for $999 then that's what the market will pay. Your did very well.

But if you have your 5-7 year old sub up for sale for weeks/months and you keep getting offers for $400 and you are tired of "all of the low ball offers" then perhaps there is a disconnect. You are now in denial of what the used market will value your goods.

An offer is only "low ball" when you have a line of buyers falling over each other to pay your asking price and you have a few "lousy low ballers". You can afford to ignore low ballers because you have others-cash in hand and able to lift/transport your sub with one hand. More often than not you will have a very hard time trying to sell a 5-7 year old sub that weighs 120 +lbs.

How long will you be able to say "I'd rather keep it, than sell it to you?" and what is the ultimate value of such decisions?
steve nn likes this.
post #28 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

I think this is a great and timely topic and warrants a bit of soul searching.

If you think about it, buying a mid-high end sub is one of the best examples of empty capitalism (along with the rest of AVS). But when it comes time to sell it everyone turns into an economist trying to monetize every intangible benefit associated with a piece of dated electronic equipment.

If you buy a sub for $1000, use it for 5-7 years and can sell it overnight for $999 then that's what the market will pay. Your did very well.

But if you have your 5-7 year old sub up for sale for weeks/months and you keep getting offers for $400 and you are tired of "all of the low ball offers" then perhaps there is a disconnect. You are now in denial of what the used market will value your goods.

An offer is only "low ball" when you have a line of buyers falling over each other to pay your asking price and you have a few "lousy low ballers". You can afford to ignore low ballers because you have others-cash in hand and able to lift/transport your sub with one hand. More often than not you will have a very hard time trying to sell a 5-7 year old sub that weighs 120 +lbs.

How long will you be able to say "I'd rather keep it, than sell it to you?" and what is the ultimate value of such decisions?

^^+1 I just took a walk over to the FS section and notice many subs just sitting there. No offers or any interest (can’t say in regards to PM) though. Nope one needs to be realistic in their expectations

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #29 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

^^+1 I just took a walk over to the FS section and notice many subs just sitting there. No offers or any interest (can’t say in regards to PM) though. Nope one needs to be realistic in their expectations

exactly...rayinst has had his +/2's for sale for 3 months and still no takers at 600.00 each.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/classifieds-speakers-subwoofers/67696-2-svs-pb12-2s-sale-pittsburgh-pa-600-each.html

Now on the other hand about 3 weeks ago a guy from new york posted a pair of svs pc13 ultras with bash amp for 900.00 here on avs. they sold in 5minutes. I was going to buy them and re sell for 1200.00 but was beat to the punch. From what I see is folks think thier gear is worth all this money because of what they have invested, but imo its no different then putting performance parts on cars. You are lucky to get 50% back on your investment. Thats if you want to actually sell it.
post #30 of 91 Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was talking about when you get into the 900.00 range, which is what the one poster that I quoted has his listed for.. The VTF-15 is the first sub that comes to mind.

The point is the +/2 is not worth 900.00 according to the ones I have seen sold or are for sale.

Eheh, I think I'm the only one who hasn't commented on the price. I just corrected you on your comparison. You came up with what, VTF 15?
That's "plenty" ? How much is that delivered?
Quote:

Besides why are you in here putting up such a heavy defense? If the +/2 is so mysteriously good, why dont you still own one?

LOL you gotta put a worm or something shiny on the hook if you want the fish to bite smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page