SVS - PB13 Ultra (Resolved with Top Notch Customer Support) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought two PB13 Ultras and have had two amp failures on one of the subs. I am now out of warranty and need to cough up another $400 for an amp. This first amp failed and was replaced with the newer Sledge amp which only lasted a year. I keep the gain set to just under half on both subs. Needless to say, I am not happy with this product. I have an old Def Tec amp from 1995 that has been through 5 or 6 moves, left in a cold/hot/dusty garage for years, and still powers up and hits like it did when I bought it. I have old car amps that still work to this day. My Emotive amps are older than the subs and no problems. I know everyone loves the SVS subs, but I can no longer recommend them due to their failure rate. I know I will get flammed, but I expect a product to last more than 3 yrs that costs $1600.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
wow thats a bummer! Maybe SVS will step up and replace that sledge amp since its only a year old?
post #3 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

They did offer me a discount on the amp, but it is still $400 dollars out of my pocket. I sent them the original email when I had the original Bash amp replaced under warranty. The date of the email was 5 Oct 2012, so this new Sledge amp failed at 10 months. I dont even use the theater room that often. That amp probably only had a couple hundred hours of use.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #4 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post

No, they wont. I just forwarded them email from when the original Bash amp was replaced. It was replaced 5 Oct 2012, so it failed in 10 months.
that is very suprising to say the least.
post #5 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

They did offer me a discount on the amp, but it is still $400 dollars out of my pocket. I sent them the original email when I had the original Bash amp replaced under warranty. The date of the email was 5 Oct 2012, so this new Sledge amp failed at 10 months. I dont even use the theater room that often. That amp probably only had a couple hundred hours of use.

Taking your post at face value, that seems like a bunch of bunk! I wonder if something else is faulty thus causing your amp problems? Eh! I would be very frustrated myself. frown.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I asked the support guy that very question. I asked if the coil or something on the speaker could be drawing too much amperage or have the wrong impedence levels. He said the rest of the sub was completly passive and there is nothing in the enclosure that can cause a failure. The gentleman was very nice and apolgetic but he can only do what he is told by management with regards to warranty issues. I asked why I should be pleased with SVS as a consumer. He was at least honest enough to say that based on my experience I shouldnt be happy.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #7 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I asked the support guy that very question. I asked if the voice coil or something on the speaker could be drawing too much amperage or have the wrong impedence levels. He said the rest of the sub was completly passive and there is nothing in the enclosure that can cause a failure. The gentleman was very nice and apolgetic but he can only do what he is told by management with regards to warranty issues. I asked why I should be pleased with SVS as a consumer. He was at least honest enough to say that based on my experience I shouldnt be happy.

Was the guys name Jack?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #8 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Was the guys name Jack?

I honestly dont remember. I got distracted from rummaging around the back of the subs getting the serial numbers and then my blood starting to boil when I found out I have a big arse boat anchor unless I part with the dough.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #9 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I honestly dont remember. I got distracted from rummaging around the back of the subs getting the serial numbers and then my blood starting to boil when I found out I have a big arse boat anchor unless I part with the dough.

Call them back and ask to speak specifically to Jack or Ed and let us know what they say. Don’t give up!

Jack Gilvey

Director – Customer Service

Specialty Technologies

SVS

(877) 626-5623

703.436.1464 (office)

703-997-2603 (e-fax)

jackg@svsound.com (e-mail)
csnow likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #10 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Take a deep breath. Relax. It's only a subwoofer.

Since your other sub works fine, I think you've just been unlucky. SVS doesn't make the components. They just piece them together and sometimes a component or two is faulty. It happens to all vendors.

I suggest paying the $400 and moving on. Ask them what kind of warranty the new amp has and see if you can purchase an extended warranty.
REDdawn6 likes this.
post #11 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Since your other sub works fine, I think you've just been unlucky. SVS doesn't make the components. They just piece them together and sometimes a component or two is faulty. It happens to all vendors.

I suggest paying the $400 and moving on. Ask them what kind of warranty the new amp has and see if you can purchase an extended warranty.

I am not blowing up or gonna kick my dog over this. I guess my point is that a product should last longer. Had the original amp failed beyond the 36 months, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could accept it a little better vs the warranty replacement failing after 10 month. I can accept premature failures in cheap stuff that one buys from Wal-Mart but this wasn't a $200 POS sub. It is a higher-end, specialized product. I am just disappointed. Nothing lasts anymore these days. I guess it is the world we live in.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #12 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not blowing up or gonna kick my dog over this. I guess my point is that a product should last longer. Had the original amp failed beyond the 36 months, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could accept it a little better vs the warranty replacement failing after 10 month. I can accept premature failures in cheap stuff that one buys from Wal-Mart but this wasn't a $200 POS sub. It is a higher-end, specialized product. I am just disappointed. Nothing lasts anymore these days. I guess it is the world we live in.

Don’t pay attention to those types of posts, just make the call! Considering your situation they might still take care of you if you speak to the right person.
csnow likes this.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
D_M

Liked: 17
Csnow,

Has it been the same sub each time? Did you buy both subs at the same time? I'm just trying to get a sense of what's happening. It seems odd that one sub hasn't experienced a failure and the other has.
post #14 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

They were bought within a month of each other. Only the one sub has had failures. I suspect something inside but tech support says no, its the amps that fail.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #15 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the op is being very relaxed and appraoching the situation correctly.I agree things happen, but a new replacement amp should carry a warranty as well...especially on a top tier sub. Its easy to suggest coughing up the dough when its not your $ huh?
steve nn and csnow like this.
post #16 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I think the op is being very relaxed and appraoching the situation correctly.I agree things happen, but a new replacement amp should carry a warranty as well...especially on a top tier sub. Its easy to suggest coughing up the dough when its not your $ huh?

+1 The amp should be under some length of warranty since it's a new amp.
Ryan
post #17 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan45872 View Post

+1 The amp should be under some length of warranty since it's a new amp.
Ryan

I agree that it should have some sort of warranty, but they said no. They said the warranty does not reset with replacement parts and it is only valid for 36 months from the date of purchase. I am blessed to have the disposable income and ability to pay the $400 without any negative recourse to my finances, but there are others that can't. I think of the young professional, military family, or college kid that saves and works their butt off to buy a flagship sub. They scrounge and save to treat themselves to something nice. What is a person to do in a situation like that? There are many people that cant afford to cough up $400 - it is a lot of money. They would be out in the cold with a big sub that is dead. I just felt I should let others know they need to consider these type of issues when doing a major purchase from SVS. A quick search on Google shows a number of amp failures. I guess that is why SVS went with the Sledge amp. Maybe this new amp needs another design change. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a passive subs and drive them with standalone amps. That way I have better control of the quality of the components. In addition, the amp isnt mounted to something that is rumbling and has better ventilation.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #18 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Wait, so SVS will warrant the original amp for 5 years but won't even warrant a replacement amp for 12 months?

If that's the case that sucks big time, heck even car manufactures warranty genuine oem replacement parts for 12 months.
So lets say the original amp failed two years into the 5 year warranty, and then the replacement amp failed shortly after like the OP's one did.
They won't warrant the second amp, and its been less then 3 years in total that he's owned the sub?
post #19 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Wait, so SVS will warrant the original amp for 5 years but won't even warrant a replacement amp for 12 months?

If that's the case that sucks big time, heck even car manufactures warranty genuine oem replacement parts for 12 months.
So lets say the original amp failed two years into the 5 year warranty, and then the replacement amp failed shortly after like the OP's one did.
They won't warrant the second amp, and its been less then 3 years in total that he's owned the sub?

It is my understanding that the new subs with the Sledge amps carry a 5 yr warranty from the date of purchase. The PB13's that I bought had the Bash amps (apparently high failure rate) that carry a 36 month warranty. SVS will replace the amps until the cows come home during that warranty period, but not a day after even if the replacement amp was installed the month prior to the warranty ending. I am beyond 36 months, so I have to buy the amp. I will start the clock over with a 5 yr warranty if I purchase the amp. If they provide the amp under warranty, there is no coverage beyond the original warranty date.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #20 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 10:08 AM
D_M

Liked: 17
Quote:

It is my understanding that the new subs with the Sledge amps carry a 5 yr warranty from the date of purchase. The PB13's that I bought had the Bash amps (apparently high failure rate) that carry a 36 month warranty. SVS will replace the amps until the cows come home during that warranty period, but not a day after even if the replacement amp was installed the month prior to the warranty ending. I am beyond 36 months, so I have to buy the amp. I will start the clock over with a 5 yr warranty if I purchase the amp. If they provide the amp under warranty, there is no coverage beyond the original warranty date.

Csnow,

Follow Steve nn advice and e-mail SVS. It does not make sense for a replacement part to have a shorter warranty than the original part it replaced. I'm willing to bet that there must be some legal mumbo jumbo in consumer regulations that address warranties that companies offer. Must people bought from SVS because of their outstanding customer service. Your situation appears to be counterintuitive to the countless other accounts of interactions with SVS. Hopefully some wires got crossed somewhere and the situation can be resolved to your satisfaction.
post #21 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I have emailed Jack and included a link to this thread so they can comment to the community. I can't knock their customer service, they didnt blink an eye on the first amp replacement. They were also very friendly today; I was just told information I didn't like. They were very polite in telling me I was screwed smile.gif

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #22 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:

I asked the support guy that very question. I asked if the coil or something on the speaker could be drawing too much amperage or have the wrong impedence levels. He said the rest of the sub was completly passive and there is nothing in the enclosure that can cause a failure.

I'm surprised he said that. A shorted or partially shorted driver is tough for an amp even if it has protection. If you have the inclination, measure the resistance of the voice coil.

If its much less than 3 or so ohms, you may have a problem there. You would also have an argument that the root cause of the amp failure happened during the warranty period and was incorrectly diagnosed.
post #23 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

The OP is complaining that SVS isn't covering their sub beyond their stated warranty period and in the title has (Never Again) in it. I think he's being a little unfair to SVS. if SVS covers his new amp, they should be commended. They shouldn't be faulted for abiding by the original purchase agreement.

I feel for the OP and hope things work out, but he can afford the $400. I understand $400 is a lot of money, but if someone can't afford a $400 repair, they probably shouldn't buy a $1,600 sub in the first place. It's like someone buying a $70,000 Mercedes and complaining about the routine maintenance costs.
post #24 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The OP is complaining that SVS isn't covering their sub beyond their stated warranty period and in the title has (Never Again) in it. I think he's being a little unfair to SVS. if SVS covers his new amp, they should be commended. They shouldn't be faulted for abiding by the original purchase agreement.

I feel for the OP and hope things work out, but he can afford the $400. I understand $400 is a lot of money, but if someone can't afford a $400 repair, they probably shouldn't buy a $1,600 sub in the first place. It's like someone buying a $70,000 Mercedes and complaining about the routine maintenance costs.

I am not being unfair to SVS - I would never buy another one of their subs because I don't trust their amps. Even if I pay or dont pay the $400, it is a pain to have a sub down and to have to pay in advance for a replacement, wait for the replacement, and then install it. Your illustration is illogical. A failed amp is not routine maintenance cost, it is a major component failure. But since you want to use automotive analogies, I can too. I feel that owning an SVS sub is like driving a Yugo that has lifetime maintenance. I dont want to be without a car while it is in the shop or have a constant fear of it breaking down, although it is fixed for free. It becomes a headache.

I don't shop based on replacement costs - I shop for overall value. Overall value as defined by me is the product cost, performance, and the product life. I don't trust the SVS product anymore. When the subs are working, they are monsters but I am honestly waiting for the day the other amp fails. At this point, I fear its not a matter of "if "but when. I will wonder and have to constantly peak behind the subs to see if the light is still on. That signifies that I have lost credibility in the product.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #25 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Amp failures is akin to routine maintenance costs on a car? um...
post #26 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

.... if someone can't afford a $400 repair, they probably shouldn't buy a $1,600 sub in the first place. It's like someone buying a $70,000 Mercedes and complaining about the routine maintenance costs.

Kidhorn - What subs do you own? I will make sure I avoid the subs you use if amp replacement is "routine maintenance".
post #27 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:

I get your point, however it is a little harsh. Muiltiple amp problems should be considered a problem. With a 70,000 Mercedes, if it contiunes to fail there is a Lemon law. What protects the consumer from the same issue on consumer electronics? A company that stands behind their product should be the answer. Just because someone can afford it should not mean that they have to lay their cash down for a faulty product. But this is why I deal with Power Sound Audio. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Refusing to replace an amp after it fails within 10 months just because the original sub warranty has expired is unacceptable in my opinion; their subs are very reliable so it isn't like they're sending out tons of amps to customers due to a high failure rate. SVS should suck it up and send a replacement amp.
post #29 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Refusing to replace an amp after it fails within 10 months just because the original sub warranty has expired is unacceptable in my opinion; their subs are very reliable so it isn't like they're sending out tons of amps to customers due to a high failure rate. SVS should suck it up and send a replacement amp.
I beg to differ. I feel for the Op but endless replacements is not sustainable. Just ask Chad @ Epik. If he did not pay for the newer replacement Sledge Amp then SVS owes him nothing outside of the warranty period. Their reputation is spotless. Things fail. I just sold my perfectly working Empire for $400:eek:. People wonder why I pinch my pennies. All about the bottom line.biggrin.gif

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #30 of 68 Old 07-30-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post

I beg to differ. I feel for the Op but endless replacements is not sustainable. Just ask Chad @ Epik. If he did not pay for the newer replacement Sledge Amp then SVS owes him nothing outside of the warranty period. Their reputation is spotless. Things fail. I just sold my perfectly working Empire for $400:eek:. People wonder why I pinch my pennies. All about the bottom line.biggrin.gif

Obviously they are not spotless or they wouldn't have migrated to a Sledge amp. I am intimately familiar with the contract manufacturing process and you dont change a major component in a product lifecycle unless there is a known problem or unless you can substantially lower your operational costs while providing the same or better design specs while maintaining the same or better profit margins. I think the issue with the change in this product was hardware failure. All I know is that the original amp that was suspect and changed in the design lasted 2.5 years before failing. The new improved model lasted 10 months. This is not a good graph/trend. Maybe I just got a dud - fair enough. Send me a new driver if it is the culprit and is causing the failures.

As far as endless replacements not being sustainable, that is true. However, selling a product with a short operational life is not sustainable either.

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version