What type of Subwoofer do you recommend? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 10x20 room with hardwood floors. I have a subdued ii. My current room setup is in the attached jpg.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Front Left and Right -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Center Channel -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surround Left and Right -

Subwoofer -

Pre-Amp -

Amp -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 419
What is your budget?

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to stay under $1200 if possible.

Front Left and Right -

Center Channel -

Subwoofer -

Pre-Amp -

Amp -

post #4 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I would probably go with a pair of Rythmik LV12R subs.

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

A pair? Even though the bp-8060st have built in subs? Just curious. thanks for your input.

Front Left and Right -

Center Channel -

Subwoofer -

Pre-Amp -

Amp -

post #6 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

A dedicated sub will have much better output and extension than the ones in the DefTechs. A pair will provide more even bass response in the room, and increase output some as well.

Living Room

Computer
post #7 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 725
They don't have true subs. That is marketing. What they have is a 10" woofer and a couple of passive radiators. If they produce enough bass for you then leave it alone. If you don't get the room pounding LFE you expect, then get yourself a true 15" powered subwoofer from Rhythmik, Hsu, SVS etc. The bigger the size of the sub or the number of subs, the smoother the bass and the less work the sub {s} have to do. You can't have too much subwoofer. You can have too little.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered the pair bp-8060st. I'm wondering now if I should cancel the order and get something better for the money...

Front Left and Right -

Center Channel -

Subwoofer -

Pre-Amp -

Amp -

post #9 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Liked: 28
If you're planning on running a subwoofer, full range towers will be a waste of money because they will be crossed over well before the big woofers are needed. A pair of good bookshelves should be better value for your money.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you like def tech but are planning to get a good subwoofer to go along with it, I would suggest looking at their SM65 bookshelf speakers. IIRC they use the same tweeter as the 8060 and actually have larger midrange woofers. they easily play low enough to properly integrate with a sub for less than half the cost of 8060's
post #11 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Could you recommend some shelf speakers in the $800 each range?

Front Left and Right -

Center Channel -

Subwoofer -

Pre-Amp -

Amp -

post #12 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

You would also need a matching center if you were to get different fronts. I would take a look at the Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves with the upgraded NRT tweeter. Pair those with the Sierra-1 Center (w/ NRT) and you would have a nice setup. You also get a discount for buying Ascend speakers and Rythmik subs together.

Living Room

Computer
post #13 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

You would also need a matching center if you were to get different fronts. I would take a look at the Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelves with the upgraded NRT tweeter. Pair those with the Sierra-1 Center (w/ NRT) and you would have a nice setup. You also get a discount for buying Ascend speakers and Rythmik subs together.

+1

Another option would be to go with Arx A2c for L/C/R ................. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=arx&p=arx-a2c-center-lcr-loudspeaker&cPath=21_32&products_id=66&osCsid=cbd7f0d9eb5bdb6cc93b9f088bf0f06f
post #14 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I guess the next question is... If I plan on placing a single sub in the corner based on the my floor plan. What is the best type of sub? Downward firing etc?

Thanks a lot for the advice

Front Left and Right -

Center Channel -

Subwoofer -

Pre-Amp -

Amp -

post #15 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM

Liked: 28
Bass waves are omnidirectional, so front/side/down firing makes little difference. I have heard mentioned by several people on this forum that firing down or into a wall gives a tiny edge over front firing, but I don't think that it is significant enough to make your decision purely based on this.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The Ascend/Rythmik option would be great and you would get the discount to boot.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page