Should I Trust Or Ignore Frequency Response Specs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello people.

Looking around on the net,I'm reading some articles (specifically Cnet) that say that frequency response specs can't really be taken for granted, as there are no standards to how they're tested in the first place, or something similar to that. I'm in the market for a subwoofer or two and although I might be dreaming for my price range (£200), I'd like to make sure I find one that can reach 20hz or lower. ( I kinda thight maybe two smaller ones could get to that low Freqency together but I don't think so)

I'd just like to ask if Freqency responce specifications for subwoofers are a definite measurement for how low a subwoofer can go?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yup, specs without measurements are worthless. For reliable measurements, check out Josh Ricci's work at data-bass.com

Unfortunately, none of the reviewed subs fall in your budget and, while I'm not familiar with the subwoofer market in the UK, it's going to be hard to reach sub-20 for £200.

Also, frequency response doesn't tell you anything about max output or compression.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

Looking around on the net,I'm reading some articles (specifically Cnet) that say that frequency response specs can't really be taken for granted, as there are no standards to how they're tested in the first place,
There most certainly is, that being half-space anechoic. That sounds fancy, but all you need to do that with a sub is a laptop, an $85 USB mic, and free measurement software. If you want to calibrate the result for sensitivity, add a $60 sound meter. If you're wondering why all manufacturers don't post SPL charts when they're so easy to create, the only logical explanation is that they don't want to. mad.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey Tyrone smile.gif

Are you on AVForum? That is a UK-based forum that may be able to offer some insight as to what is available in the UK smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page