For a $2000 budget - what is the best sub out there? Not on SPL but on Fidelity, Tight & Clean bass. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 126 Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by intgenx View Post

and the US being the best place in the world for the variety of items and prices - especially electronics and gear ... may be I should buy a pair of 12inch drivers and amps while I'm here...
could someone recommend which drivers and amps to get for a sealed dual sub? I could make as big a cabinet as these drivers would need... the WAF is no longer in play... I'm gonna do WTFIW... (Whatever the F**K I want)

In that case, go all the way. Get deez! biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

Have you gotten you E15 yet?

No not yet. There was a miscommunication with my orginal order but today I got it all sorted out. I had to change finishes so tomorrow a black matte E15HP will ship out--I originally ordered one in black oak.

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #123 of 126 Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by intgenx View Post

Is there anyone in the Wilmington, DE area with a set of subs I could listen to - in a home setting?

JL - E series seems to be the only one in my price range...

Most of all...I'd like to hear the Seaton Submersible... and then the Rythmik, SVS and HSU and JTR and PSU...

testing all these manufactured subs is a moot point for me ... as a sub will be too heavy to carry with me... but I'd still like to hear the Seaton Submersible and the Ken Kreisel DXD1212 - these seem highly recommended
this will allow me to compare these (in memory) to the DIY sub - I may be building...

and the US being the best place in the world for the variety of items and prices - especially electronics and gear ... may be I should buy a pair of 12inch drivers and amps while I'm here...
could someone recommend which drivers and amps to get for a sealed dual sub? I could make as big a cabinet as these drivers would need... the WAF is no longer in play... I'm gonna do WTFIW... (Whatever the F**K I want)

Since you are partial to a dual opposed design, I highly recommend biting the bullet and purchasing the Seaton Submersive.  It is available set up for 220V operation,and is one of the best subs available in the world at its price point, size, performance, quality, and finish quality.  It is ten times the sub that any Generic or Ken Kreisel can ever hope to be.  If this sub is simply too large to fit your needs, take a close look at the PSA XS30.  It is also a dual opposed design, completely inert, and is about half the price of the Seaton Submersive and can be gotten with premium wood finish if you desire.  Just not sure about the 220V issue.

Now if your heart is set on DIY, hop on the DIY forums.  You are likely to get some good advice on enclosure size, which drivers to use, and amplification if you want to build a dual opposed 12".  In fact, I am sure there are existing builds of this type.

Let me reiterate though, the Seaton Submersive.  At some point you were interested in a sub that not only performed well but had an exclusive and special characterization so to speak.  You will not find a more well respected or exclusive sub than the SS, with the performance to back it up.  You have to go even larger and more expensive to best it, and even this has not proven to be the case in blind testing with other multi thousand dollar best in the world performers.  Not sure if you can fit this sub or not, and not trying to steer you from DIY, but, in my opinion, there is something to be said for letting an expert with lifelong experience handle the design of the sub from proper enclosure size, driver optimization and refinement over the years, proper amplification and expertly applied eq and safety parameters designed to maximize performance and longevity/protection.

P.S. I read through this entire post this morning, was very interesting to see your paradigm shift as you went from a mindset shaped my expert marketing of overpriced products to a more learned and realistic viewpoint/understanding.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #124 of 126 Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 159
IMO, DIY sealed DO designs are not rocket science. Pick a driver that best fits your needs, model the appropriate sized enclosure, properly brace it and get proper amplification. DIY saves you considerable amount of money since you're not paying someone else to do it for you. Ported designs get a little more complex to and more difficult to get it right but still not all that difficult. They DIY forum is filled with guy willing to help anyone to select proper drivers and model enclosures if the OP is willing to put in the effort to do his or her part. Heck, there are many proven designs out there already. Just perform searches in the forum for Lilmike's F20 or the Marty sub for example.
post #125 of 126 Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Heck, there are many proven designs out there already. Just perform searches in the forum for Lilmike's F20 or the Marty sub for example.
Folded horns aren't easy to design by any means, but where bang for the buck is concerned they're not only unmatched, they're unapproachable, and there are existing designs out there that almost anyone can build. Guys with more brains than money don't buy subs, or any speakers for that matter. They build them.
duc135 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #126 of 126 Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for those references...
The folded horn of Lilmike will be too complex for me for a first DIY sub... the Martysub does look like something I could try...but in a dual configuration... will search the forums for more DIY - Dual Opposed subs...

The PSA XS30 is a great suggestion but it doesn't take balanced inputs...and the Seaton is beyond my budget...besides being too bulky even for me...

Therefore its going to have to be a DIY 12" dual opposed
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page