I've searched the forum for sub-recommendations and am now suffering from information overload and can't seem to make a list to even narrow down my choices and now I need your help to finalize a sub-woofer for a 5.1ch Home-theater with Active speakers.
Genelec 8040 (G Four) for Left/ Right and 8030 (G Three) for Center/Surrounds.
Before I enter the "request for recommendations" in the prescribed format, I need to mention the Location and WAF:
Location: I'm an American expat based in Bangalore, India and that means fewer options to consider and there is no "used" market to speak of and imported things in general cost nearly double here compared to the base US prices.
WAF: "Any darned thing which is...Not too big, Not too loud. Not too ugly."
1. Budget: $900 to $1200 (base USD prices before taxes, shipping etc).Since I can't buy used, I will also have to add about 70% on top of the base price for duty, shipping ,VAT etc to arrive at my final cost.
2. Size requirements/limits: I think an 8" or 10" sub should be sufficient - should have freq response down to 20 hz. with low distortion - accuracy/transparency is my most important criterion.
3. Room dimensions: I'm presently in an apartment with layout as shown:
3BHK layout.jpg 1045k .jpg file
- a 15’ x 16’ Living room open to a 11’ x 11’ Dining room, ceiling height of 10’, flooring is polished marble, walls are brick with cement plaster. The additional consideration is that there is a slight chance that I may be moving to a place with the following layout:
4BHK layout.jpg 775k .jpg file
with Living/Dining hall: 25' x 18' open to a Foyer: 9' x 12' with Ceiling height 10'. The setup I choose now will have to work for both - so I should go with sufficient head-room but not so much as to be overwhelming... the sound needs to be contained as far as possible to the Home theater area and not spill over to anywhere else and especially not the neighbors.
4. Primary uses: Usage will be about 70% movies - 30% music.
All videos (avi, mp4, mpg, mkv, divx etc) and music (mp3) files are on hard-disk and will be played via VLC player on the PC, all the speakers will be directly connected to the 5.1ch sound card on the PC using XLR (if available) or through RCA-XLR jack).
5. Listening habits: I do not plan on playing it with blow me off my seats loudness (except may be when the wife is away) but just a set that is accurate/ transparent, without rattling and unwanted vibrations etc...
6. Appearance requirements: It has to be sufficiently compact and good looking to complement the Genelecs but needn't be super-compact or sleek - so as to compromise price or performance...It needs to be made in Europe or North America
7. Timeframe: Can't really buy internet direct as I'm located in India - but I do want the best (most accurate, transparent) sub out there in my price range... therefore I may be willing to wait and buy it when I can.
The dealer recommends the Genelec 7060 for my G4/G3 setup. The 7060 is priced at $2200 and offers Genelec's proprietary Laminar Spiral Enclosure (LSE) [does anyone know how this makes the sub better than everything else] "0" db baffle resonance, driver giving all the SPL and not the cabinets rattling, construction is rock solid and there is no coloration in the Low Frequency. and also power efficient consumes only 120W for an SPL@1m of 108dB and is well integrated with the Genelec speakers and claims it is the best sub in the world....
Frankly I think a good sub needn't cost that much - especially considering the intense competition among the multitude of sub makers and sub-making is a cottage industry of sorts with many people resorting to assembling their own subs as a weekend-DIY.
DIY is also an option but it still has to deliver the 20Hz, tight bass, low distortion, no rattling, power efficient etc comparable to Genelec... I don't think I can achieve that in a million years...
but if I want the "Best" sub there is.. not just "very good or excellent" I assume there are very few choices... If price is no concern which are the subs out there with tight bass, low distortion, low waste due to heat or noise, accuracy/transparency,etc...(loudness and bomb like air/earth moving ability is not a criterion for me) - it has to have some studio cred and audiophile/pro/musician cred and look tastefully (no flashy/glossy stuff) done too...
I would like to know which is the best sub out there - based on independently verifiable measurements - even if I were to bump my budget up to $2200 - I want to make sure I am getting the best - if I'm spending that kind of cash...
key requirement: It has to be made, if not completely, at least mostly, in USA/Canada/EU/Aus/Nz/Japan.
Thanks in advance for all responses...