Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
http://velodyne.com/bassmatrix-10-refurbished.html

these were 199.00 last i checked...email them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

http://velodyne.com/bassmatrix-10-refurbished.html

these were 199.00 last i checked...email them.

+1

This one looks a lot better to me than the Impact-10. More powerful amp, a little bit lower frequency response, DSP features. And the shipping weight I found was 54.5 lbs vs. 30 lbs on the Impact 10. That big of a difference is not all packing materials. Looks like the BassMatrix is likely a more solidly build sub with a heavier (which is often better) driver.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #33 of 37 Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Before you do anything else, make sure that this seller is authorized by Velodyne.

you are right, I forgot about that. was just looking at prices. thanks for the reminder.
post #34 of 37 Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1

This one looks a lot better to me than the Impact-10. More powerful amp, a little bit lower frequency response, DSP features. And the shipping weight I found was 54.5 lbs vs. 30 lbs on the Impact 10. That big of a difference is not all packing materials. Looks like the BassMatrix is likely a more solidly build sub with a heavier (which is often better) driver.

yes, a nice find and I appreciate that very much, but it is way too big for the 12 inch width limitation I have. thanks for the effort, I really do appreciate all the help so far.

I am currently looking on Amazon, Newegg and Newaudiovideo sites for any deals.
post #35 of 37 Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

based upon reviews I have read on Amazon, Newegg, etc. looks like I will be going with the ML 300. could not really find anything negative said about this little unit. fits my available space, good specs for near field music listening use only and is only $129 on Amazon with free shipping! the good reviews, super low cost and specs listed for my application appears to be a good choice over the Yamaha YST-SW215, Dayton 8, Jamo 210 and BIC V-80...unless anyone objects.

once I pull the trigger and break this thing in for about 50+ hours, I will give my impression. hopefully no regrets over the others considered for this application.

could not justify spending $300+ for the STF-1, M8/SB-900, NHT 8 of even discounted Klipsch SW-350.

plus I will need to save some $$$ as I am selling the M&K MX-100 in my HT to a friend who has an individual home and can open that thing up. I will need to come back later for suggestions on a new HT sub, but I have plenty of ideas where to start now.
post #36 of 37 Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

follow up. purchased the ML300 from Amazon, purchased the Dayton sub 800 from Parts Express and picked up an open box YST-SW215 from BB.

absolutely no issues with any of these units. all suit my application just fine. build quality of all three is very good. very hard to hear any real difference in sonic characteristics in this near field environment.

really liked the features and ease of use on the Yamaha. sounded great with my music choices and the piano black finish is sharp. was tough to let this one go back, but was most $$$.

ML300 sounded simliar to Yamaha and has nice features, but controls for volume level and crossover frequency are vague with no clear markings for control knobs...being picky here. tough to beat $129.

ended up keeping the Dayton and returned the Yamaha to BB and the ML300 to Amazon. can't believe they sell this little sub for only $89 plus shipping...unless you buy more stuff.

the Dayton won out as it had all the controls I wanted/needed and just sounded a bit more defined...cleaner and tighter would be good description. not sure if that is due to the front firing driver versus the other downward firing drivers. should not matter because low frequencies are non-directional, but the space the sub sits in is pretty tight.

I may try cutting a piece of wood to sit the sub on instead of the carpet to get even better sound as I heard that helps improve bass response. really does not need it IMO.

have the crossover set to 80hz and volume half way and sounds great with my Polk RTi4's. in fact, I do not remember the Polks sounding this good.

not sure how this would fare in a HT setup, but for my 2.1 system it is awesome. pretty happy with the purchase for around $100 shipped.
post #37 of 37 Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Great. Glad to see you did the comparison. Just confirms what people are saying. The Dayton subs are the ones to beat for their price smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page