Need help finishing out new home theater setup with dual subwoofers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading my home theater equipment and was hoping to get input on the best option for the remaining component - dual subs. We want the dual subs for evening out the sound (and my wife just likes the balance of two subs).

Here is my current configuration:

Sharp Quatron LC 80LE857 80" TV
Denon 3313CI AV Receiver
Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier

On Order:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizon Center Channel w/ RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade
Sonance Cinema Series SUR .5S In Ceiling

Our usage is going to be 90% Home Theater / 10% Music, but more interested in accuracy vs. volume. The room is 16" x 18" with 10" ceilings and is open to the kitchen and Foyer. If I understand it correctly, sealed subs are most likely the best choice. I would like to keep the budget under $2500 for the set. The models I have been considering are:

HSU ULS15
Rythmik F15HP
Power Sound Audio XV15
SVS SB12-NSD (perhaps SB13-Ultra but it stretches the budget a bit).

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you in advance !!

Glynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnsmith View Post

Hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading my home theater equipment and was hoping to get input on the best option for the remaining component - dual subs. We want the dual subs for evening out the sound (and my wife just likes the balance of two subs).

Dennon 3313CI AV Receiver
Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier

On Order:
Acsend Accustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade
Ascend Accustics Sierra Horizon Center Channel w/ RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade

Our usage is going to be 90% Home Theater / 10% Music, but more interested in accuracy vs. volume. The room is 16" x 18" with 10" ceilings and is open to the kitchen and Foyer. If I understand it correctly, sealed subs are most likely the best choice. I would like to keep the budget under $2500 for the set. The models I have been considering are:

HSU ULS15
Rythmik F15HP
Power Sound Audio XV15

Thank you in advance !!

Glynn

Actually, ported designs generally give more output and are liked for home theater situations. Sealed designs are generally more accurate with less distortion. However, the lines are becoming more blurred these days as far as musicality of the ported designs vs sealed designs.

Out of those models you listed, I'm sad to say that I cannot recommend the Hsu ULS-15. I auditioned it and it had a bottoming out (popping) problem. I really liked this sub, so I was extremely disappointed. I've read other people's stories with similar experiences (one was at a subwoofer shootout).

I haven't auditioned the Rythmik F15HP (there was a 6 month back order on the piano black finish, otherwise I would have tried it out). I have heard great things about Rythmik subwoofers, especially their ported model.

The Power Sound Audio subwoofer you listed is a ported design. Perhaps you were thinking about the XS15. Heck, two XS30s fit into your budget. I will be auditioning a single XS30 very shortly, so I cannot say how good this subwoofer is at this time.

I just purchased the SB13-Ultra, but I use this sub only for music (which it is outstanding at). I was also impressed with its performance on movies, but feel there are less expensive options that will give you similar performance.

There are many other options, and I'm sure the fine folks here will let you know what to look for. Best of luck in your upcoming purchase!
glynnsmith likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 589
You might check out this Parts Express dual woofer kit. Its needs a little bit of assembly, but that is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. With that kit you get two high quality drivers, so it should be very linear and accurate, while still providing lots of bang. The only draw back is the weight and size. The ULS-15 is good, but I have heard too many reports of it bottoming out. I do have two and love them, and have yet to bottom mine out. I think it may have too much EQ boost at the low end. Until that gets fixed, I can't recommend them for movie use. For music however, they are one of the best values out there. The Rythmik would be killer I am sure, you can't go wrong with that. I would skip the PSA and SVS subs. If it was me, I would go for the Parts Express kit but if that is just too large, the Rythmik.
post #4 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You might check out this Parts Express dual woofer kit. Its needs a little bit of assembly, but that is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. With that kit you get two high quality drivers, so it should be very linear and accurate, while still providing lots of bang. The only draw back is the weight and size. The ULS-15 is good, but I have heard too many reports of it bottoming out. I do have two and love them, and have yet to bottom mine out. I think it may have too much EQ boost at the low end. Until that gets fixed, I can't recommend them for movie use. For music however, they are one of the best values out there. The Rythmik would be killer I am sure, you can't go wrong with that. I would skip the PSA and SVS subs. If it was me, I would go for the Parts Express kit but if that is just too large, the Rythmik.

The +- regarding the ULF is one of it’s big attractions to me. It would be a big plus in the leaky room I used to be in albeit it would take a couple three to achieve what I would be looking for. I would agree the limiter needs to be beefed up or the +- risen a bit though. Anyway I see no reason to trash SVS or PSA, they're both good company's that offer great products. Being some of the traits are different in their appeal, one could conclude they each have their own perspective appeal.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #5 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

The +- regarding the ULF is one of it’s big attractions to me. It would be a big plus in the leaky room I used to be in albeit it would take a couple three to achieve what I would be looking for. I would agree the limiter needs to be beefed up or the +- risen a bit though. Anyway I see no reason to trash SVS or PSA, they're both good company's that offer great products. Being some of the traits are different in their appeal, one could conclude they each have their own perspective appeal.

I don't think SVS and PSA are making bad stuff, I just think there is better stuff out there for the money.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:

Hello all,

Dennon 3313CI AV Receiver
Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier

On Order:
Acsend Accustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade
Ascend Accustics Sierra Horizon Center Channel w/ RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade

HSU ULS15
Rythmik F15HP
Power Sound Audio XV15

Thank you in advance !!

Glynn

Have you considered taking a look at the XS30 from PSA, if you are considering sealed subs I would highly recommend the XS30 over any of the ones you have listed. And two of them would come in under your budget, that includes if you went with some of their extremely nice wood veneer finishes.
glynnsmith likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Have you considered taking a look at the XS30 from PSA, if you are considering sealed subs I would highly recommend the XS30 over any of the ones you have listed. And two of them would come in under your budget, that includes if you went with some of their extremely nice wood veneer finishes.

Now why would he do that...the op was just informed there is much better subs out there for the money rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think SVS and PSA are making bad stuff, I just think there is better stuff out there for the money.

Bang for buck PSA and SVS have some of the best subs on the market, not to mention better warranties on the amps for their subs then both Rythmik and HSU.
steve nn likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bang for buck PSA and SVS have some of the best subs on the market, not to mention better warranties on the amps for their subs then both Rythmik and HSU.

SVS does indeed have one of the best warrantee that I've seen (5 years "unconditional" … well, sort of … don't take a hammer to it). They also have free shipping both ways, a 45-day in-home trial period, a one year trade-up policy and several other very meaningful perks in their consumer "Bill of Rights" policy. That is something the OP needs to consider as well.

I was happy and surprised to find out that PSA also has a 5-year transferrable warrantee and free shipping one way, especially at the price point of their subwoofers. Hsu and many others don't have free shipping, and none have the perks SVS gives you (of course their subs are priced slightly higher).
glynnsmith likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree they have a lot of bang for the buck, and their warranties are superior, but you can see the compromises they make in performance and features to get there. I think Hsu and Rythmik offer better all around values.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Now why would he do that...the op was just informed there is much better subs out there for the money rolleyes.gif

Yes I'm sure shady will step back in and give us his list! wink.gif
Quote:
I was happy and surprised to find out that PSA also has a 5-year transferrable warrantee and free shipping one way, especially at the price point of their subwoofers. Hsu and many others don't have free shipping, and none have the perks SVS gives you (of course their subs are priced slightly higher).

I agree. I would say less output also but they are smaller which appeals to many (which I can appreciate) and not quite as expensive as the PSA line. I don’t know about the SB13 and how it might compare to the XV30 though. The XV30 is much cheaper but then much larger.
Quote:

^^+1

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #12 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I will agree Rythmik is at the Top between those 4 companies...if they offered a 5yr warranty it would be solidified without a doubt. However I would place PSA and SVS next in line, then HSU last.

Rythmik warranty is not the greatest but they make it up with sheer performance and thier signature servo amps. I also like the fact the cover all bases from mild to wild. The F25 is a beaut.

HSU warranty is far from industry leading and thier product line is kind of boring. There is no wow factor...They are like the Iphone of Internet Direct subwoofers. At one time they were cutting edge and industry leading, then other companies came along and stole the limelight, just like android did to ios. They do have some nice subs, I just think HSU could refresh thier product line.

SVS has top notch support and variety of options to suit most needs...not to mention very nice looking. The Cylinder is kind of a niche market for them. They are a bit pricier than some other options when comparing output

PSA the new upcoming ID sub company. Lots of bang for the buck at the cost of variable tuning and built in peq on the amps. The black sand texture base finish is industrial but much better than standard black vinyl wrap. However they do offer multiple veneer options on the xv15,xs30, and Triax. Thier product line is fascinating...ranging from single vented/sealed downfiring 15", dual vented downfiring 15", dual opposed sealed 15", dual vented 15" tower, and then the Triax.

Please do not take this as bashing...all 4 companies have thier pros and cons.
glynnsmith likes this.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Yeah I remember when it was basically SVS and HSU. Now with the emergence of all the other ID company's, things have really changed. Some come and go and others are here to stay.. I have no doubt PSA is here to stay.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #14 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:

I agree they have a lot of bang for the buck, and their warranties are superior, but you can see the compromises they make in performance and features to get there. I think Hsu and Rythmik offer better all around values.
I really won't get into it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But PSA is just getting started! The Power X is indeed a budget line and the quality that is there for the money is incredible. However, this is one thing that really matters http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs/news/8001109-competition-comparison
steve nn likes this.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Actually, ported designs generally give more output and are liked for home theater situations. Sealed designs are generally more accurate with less distortion. However, the lines are becoming more blurred these days as far as musicality of the ported designs vs sealed designs.

Thank you for your response. What do I loose by not having the ported design? Is it just volume or is it less immersive (i.e. - not feeling the explosions, etc)?
post #16 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your response. What do I loose by not having the ported design? Is it just volume or is it less immersive (i.e. - not feeling the explosions, etc)?

Hi glynnsmith.

For a room that's under 3,000 cu. ft., any two of the caliber of subs you've mentioned should easily pressurize the room and knock your socks off. Heck, one would probably do it, but with two you can tame the room modes (null areas and peaks). However, you do have open area(s), so that also has to be considered. The following are generalities: Ported designs will give you greater output -- SPL (sound pressure levels) at their tuned frequency (different subs have different tuning frequencies). There are advantages and disadvantages to ported designs (same as there are for sealed designs). Sealed designs can actually go lower, but usually not with the same level of output. I say usually because there is always the JTR Caps and Seaton SubMersives to prove that theory wrong.

What you lose with a ported design is space. Ported designs are larger and heavier, sometimes significantly so, thus the WAF (wife acceptance factor) may come into play. But if you have the room and 90 percent of your usage is for movies, I think that would be the way to go. Either case, I doubt you'll have a loudness problem on any of these subs, but your neighbors might;).
glynnsmith likes this.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You might check out this Parts Express dual woofer kit. Its needs a little bit of assembly, but that is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. With that kit you get two high quality drivers, so it should be very linear and accurate, while still providing lots of bang. The only draw back is the weight and size.

Thanks. I am a bit nervous about assembling the subwoofers myself as I am not overly handy. Can a DIY sub compare with a pre-assembled sub?
post #18 of 27 Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Other than the DIY kit, is there specific options that you would recommend?
post #19 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Hi glynnsmith.

For a room that's under 3,000 cu. ft., any two of the caliber of subs you've mentioned should easily pressurize the room and knock your socks off. Heck, one would probably do it, but with two you can tame the room modes (null areas and peaks). However, you do have open area(s), so that also has to be considered. The following are generalities: Ported designs will give you greater output -- SPL (sound pressure levels) at their tuned frequency (different subs have different tuning frequencies). There are advantages and disadvantages to ported designs (same as there are for sealed designs). Sealed designs can actually go lower, but usually not with the same level of output. I say usually because there is always the JTR Caps and Seaton SubMersives to prove that theory wrong.

What you lose with a ported design is space. Ported designs are larger and heavier, sometimes significantly so, thus the WAF (wife acceptance factor) may come into play. But if you have the room and 90 percent of your usage is for movies, I think that would be the way to go. Either case, I doubt you'll have a loudness problem on any of these subs, but your neighbors might;).

Thanks for the information. I will take a closer look at the ported versions and discuss the size differential with the wife. If the the quality / accuracy of the sound difference is negligible and the output is greater then it might be the way to go. Based on everyone's comments, it looks the Rythmik FV15HP or FV15 warrants a closer look.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Other than the DIY kit, is there specific options that you would recommend?
Quote:

Thanks. I am a bit nervous about assembling the subwoofers myself as I am not overly handy. Can a DIY sub compare with a pre-assembled sub?
DIY subs offer a better value than complete subs, sometimes a tremendously better value, and the more you are willing to do yourself, the greater the value. There are all kinds of different plans out there with varying degrees of complexity. If you aren't confident in your woodworking abilities, you probably won't want to take on any advanced design. There are simpler projects too, where you can order some precut panels and all you have to do is glue them together, screw in the driver, and then cut out a spot for binding posts and install them. The Dayton one is about the simplest you can possibly get, but I think it may still be a substantially better value than any equivalently priced commercial sub.

As for commercial subs, you can't go wrong with the FV15HP, that would be my choice at that price.
glynnsmith likes this.
post #21 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 510
If you are going with sealed subs, I would certainly consider dual XS-30's. I have not heard the XS-30s yet, but many, many happy owners. I have had dual XV-15's and presently have dual XV-30's and I have been happy with both. I am now awaiting dual PSA Triax's, I imagine they will not be anything short of the other sets of subs I have owned from PSA. Certainly when allot of us start looking at subwoofers we buy the wrong subs and become unhappy in a few months and want to upgrade. Certainly be sure you get what you need the first time and explore all options. You can save allot of money doing it right the first time. If there is any way to "up" your budget or go with one sub now, the Seaton Submerisves and JTR Passive Captivators are a couple of others to look at. The PSA Triax will be another sub to watch as owners start to take delivery and we start getting some feedback on them.

I imagine when I get more time someday, I would like to get into some DIY, I am interested in a folded horn sub. I know Bill Fitzmaurice has designs, if you wanted to check him out for other DIY ideas.
glynnsmith likes this.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

glynnsmith: Although I haven't auditioned any Rythmik product, I have read enough to fully expect it to be a terrific subwoofer. It impressed the judging panel in one of the audiophile subwoofer shootouts, where Seaton and JTR always takes the top honors.

Reading about the equipment you own, I'm sure you're also looking for a very nice, even elegant looking subwoofer, and not something you want to hide away, so take a good look at all on your list and those that have been suggested.

Company reputation, customer service and warrantee should be paramount on your list. SVS has the best warrantee and perks without question (go to their website and take a look). PSA, since Tom Vodhanel was the "V" in SV Sound before he started PSA, also has a great 5-year transferrable warrantee. Most have 2 year warrantees on the electronics (Seaton has a 3 year warrantee) and 5 years on the woofer (Hsu has 7 years on the woofer).

Happy hunting.
glynnsmith likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Based on everyone's comments, it looks the Rythmik FV15HP or FV15 warrants a closer look.

Don't forget to take advantage of the Ascend-Rythmik combo discount if you decide to go with Rythmik.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #24 of 27 Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I called both PSA and Rythmik to discuss the size of the room and how well the sealed vs. ported subs would do in my room. I actually reached Tom and he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in talking me through and understand how it would work in my environment. He thought the sealed xs30s would pressurize the room more than adequately. I am waiting for the final decision from my wife regarding the veneer, but I will most likely be ordering 2 of them today or Monday. The service and warranty I would get form PSA just won out. Tom even offered to help suggest room placement if I would send him pictures / diagram of the room.

Anyway, thanks for the advice / assistance!
post #25 of 27 Old 08-09-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called both PSA and Rythmik to discuss the size of the room and how well the sealed vs. ported subs would do in my room. I actually reached Tom and he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in talking me through and understand how it would work in my environment. He thought the sealed xs30s would pressurize the room more than adequately. I am waiting for the final decision from my wife regarding the veneer, but I will most likely be ordering 2 of them today or Monday. The service and warranty I would get form PSA just won out. Tom even offered to help suggest room placement if I would send him pictures / diagram of the room.

Congrats! This is the exact reason why I chose PSA as well.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just like basshead said, Tom's customer service is second to no one IMO. I run dual XS30's and I can assure you that you're going to love them!

Congrats.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Talk about the kiss of death. Contacting Tom (or Ed Mullen at SVS) builds immediate confidence in their customer service and brand. You really couldn't go wrong with any of the subs or your list, so looking down the road at warrantee and service only makes sense.

Congratulations on your decision. I hope it works out well for you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Sharp 80 Inch Lc 80le757u Aquos Led , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 3 Amplifier , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page