Should I bother upgrading? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Just an update, I just placed my order for a PB 1000 today from Sonic Boom here in Toronto smile.gif .. I talked to one of the guys from SVS who said it should be just the right size for my room. I Can't wait to get it set up and see the difference it makes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Congrats on the purchase. Once set up, we'll look forward to your first impressions and your overall thoughts on your PB-1000.
Sean Spamilton likes this.
post #33 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Just an update, I just placed my order for a PB 1000 today from Sonic Boom here in Toronto smile.gif .. I talked to one of the guys from SVS who said it should be just the right size for my room. I Can't wait to get it set up and see the difference it makes!

You made the right choice IMO. Two biggest single changes to a HT setup, bass and a projector with a big ol screen. Good bass is the number one IMO and many others. smile.gif
steve nn likes this.
post #34 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Nice! I forsee a second in the future cool.gif
post #35 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

You made the right choice IMO. Two biggest single changes to a HT setup, bass and a projector with a big ol screen. Good bass is the number one IMO and many others. smile.gif

+1 Good bass and a good center smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #36 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 100
You can still get that seamless integration with one sub. You just need to find the right spot for it and set it up correctly. Of course multiple subs are better, especially for multiple seating locations, but one sub can sound excellent especially when your only worried about a couple seats.

Frequency sweeps are the best way to find the best location. You can do it with a piece of paper and a spl meter. At least do a sub crawl.

I'm sure your two subs sounded good right next to your mains but that's almost never the best spot for them.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #37 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 06:04 AM

I'd love to see a +/-3dB graph in a room, comprising of s single subwoofer driver solution. If that were possible, I would buy a single 18" driver based subwoofer and be done with it.
post #38 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I'd love to see a +/-3dB graph in a room, comprising of s single subwoofer driver solution. If that were possible, I would buy a single 18" driver based subwoofer and be done with it.

I think you know what I mean.

I'm not talking perfection here. I doubt your response even with three subs isn't smooth everywhere your head bobs to.

It is totally possible to get a good response at the mlp from one sub with good positioning and some EQ.

I only mentioned it because the OP was worried about going from two subs to one.

post #39 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I think you know what I mean.

Actually, I don't. Hence my response. I wish I could "...get that seamless integration with one sub." Siiiiiiigh!

As to our system, I'm still struggling with room acoustics. We're using three subs. They have been all over the room. And in the next graphing session, new locations will be tried. We have an excellent +/- 3dB response but there is an issue of a "small" null that goes outside that requirement. The point, considering all our effort, there still hasn't been what one could say to be a seamless integration of the subwoofer reproduction system into our room's acoustics.

To be able to solve all our subwoofer needs with a single subwoofer, based on an eighteen inch, high excursion driver, would be sweet and there would be the added benefit of a high WAF. One Funk Audio subwoofer and out.

The WAF is a powerful force indeed and you bet, the smaller the sonic package, the higher the WAF.
post #40 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe you should start a thread about it smile.gif

post #41 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 AM

I don't think advice in a thread will help with my WAF needs.

...confused.gif

And based on personal experience, when using REW to measure room response, I fail to see a seamless integration in anybody's life using a single subwoofer solution. I was hoping you could share the method you're using to obtain a flat response with a single subwoofer.

I'm not trying to pin your comment to the mat. I'm trying to understand the genesis of the comment so I too can strive for this or similar goal.
post #42 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I never said flat. I said good, as in good enough to blend in at the mlp.

As in the OP shouldn't fret about going from two lesser subs to one better one since he more than likely didnt have them located in the best place anyway.

I didn't post in here to debate with you. I'm not fishing for an argument. I posted to give the OP some information. You have been around long enough and have been in enough multiple vs. single sub discussions to know what's necessary for either to work well.

Now I'm starting to remember why I stopped posting in this section. Geez....

post #43 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well thanks for the encouragement guys. My room is about 1500 square feet - and there is usually just ME in it. I have a couple buddies over for movie night once in a while, but there is only one three seater couch in the middle of the room, so there aren't too many LP's to be concerned about. For the most part I'm just concerned about mine - so I think that optimizing the one SVS for my MLP will be good enough and yield exciting results. That being said, as I've upgraded from a terrible sub to two ok subs now to another better sub in the space of one year, I might just upgrade ( to 2x PB100 ) down the road anyways as with the money I've managed to spend on my home theater this year, I seem to be sick in the head eek.gif ... IN any case if I end up moving to a larger place down the road it's easy to pick up another one. I'm definitely going to get REW going this time just to have some graphs to show you guys. I'm only sorry I didn't do that for the dual Klip's so we could have something to compare them too. I'll keep you informed though! Hopefully will ship out monday, and should be here by the end of the week I'm sure biggrin.gif

post #44 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

I didn't post in here to debate with you.

I'm not debating or arguing. Please reread my posts. I'm trying to understand. My questions are sincere and without malice or subterfuge. My apologies for causing you stress in this matter.

-
post #45 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I might just upgrade ( to 2x PB100 ) down the road anyways as with the money I've managed to spend on my home theater this year, I seem to be sick in the head eek.gif ...

Anyway one tries to rationalize therapy, hobbies are much less expensive and in the end, they're just going tell you that you should get a hobby.

Based on your above comments, if going with a single subwoofer solution, try placing the subwoofer behind the sofa you sit in while watching your movies. And if you have two subwoofers, try placing them on each end of the sofa.

Having REW up and running will be a real eye opener.
post #46 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Adding a second pb1000 down the road would be a great idea. IF you felt the need

1500 square feet!!! I hope you meant cubic feet

One pb1000 will be impressive in that small of a space. Two would be awesome. That's the great thing about having a small dedicated space.

Beeman-

sorry if I took your post the wrong way, but if you are experienced in setting up three subs then you certainly know what to do for one.

You can get decent response measurements from one sub. As good as with two subs? Well, of course not but you can get it to a level where you can be happy with. Well maybe YOU can't, but every situation is different.

As long as your open to having the sub where it performs best, not just where wifey thinks it looks best. Good response is possible

WAF holding back your sub locations? That's a whole other story and another plus of a dedicated room.

I know your pain. I have fought the multiple purpose room battle of performance vs. WAF myself. I'm going to have to live with two pb1000's in a space over 10k cft. For crying out loud (cry me a river, right?). But I'm accustom to my quad 18 setup in our current house.

post #47 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:

sorry if I took your post the wrong way, but if you are experienced in setting up three subs then you certainly know what to do for one.

Buy it two or three playmates? tongue.gif

Quote:
As long as your open to having the sub where it performs best, not just where wifey thinks it looks best. Good response is possible

"Wife! I am the man of the house.......where would you like me to move these subs."

Quote:
I know your pain. I have fought the multiple purpose room battle of performance vs. WAF myself. I'm going to have to live with two pb1000's in a space over 10k cft. For crying out loud (cry me a river, right?).

I like to go with; "boo-hoo me." Inconsolable crying is so unmanly. tongue.gif

We've had some serious arguments (with tears) over subwoofers and the living room. Currently, due to WAF issues, a Cordovan Cherry, PSA, XS30 has become the upgrade path of choice.
post #48 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

1500 square feet!!! I hope you meant cubic feet
Oops - Yup that's what I meant smile.gif it's 12 x 16.5 x 8 smile.gif

post #49 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops - Yup that's what I meant smile.gif it's 12 x 16.5 x 8 smile.gif

Cool. The pb-1000 will rock that room pretty good. I just plugged mine in. No setup or anything. I just plopped it in the corner. This thing is the little sub that could. Your going to enjoy it.

post #50 of 50 Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

The thing is its all about the room. A really interesting perspective to place your mind in is that the room is the speaker. Shaping the sound (which it does but we can't see it). Now of course our speakers have their own sonic characteristics. We can greatly improve the sound of our rooms with treatments (you can even have pictures printed on canvas over the treatment for WAF factor). But a single subwoofer could be sufficient in a sealed, small room. Say like 12x10.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page