Should I bother upgrading? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Hey all - I've got a line on a more powerful sub .. wondering if it's worth selling the two I have, and picking up two of the more powerful subs. I've got:

https://www.google.com/search?q=klipsch+kw+100
class A/B discrete MOSFET outputs
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 29Hz-120Hz(+-)3dB
INPUTS: 2) Line level/LFE RCA phono jacks and 2) High level speaker terminals
LOW PASS CROSSOVER: Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 110dB SPL 1/8 space, 1 meter
PHASE: Switchable 0 or 180 degrees
POWER HANDLING: FTC Rated Power: 55 watts continuous,
22-125Hz @ ≤ 1% THD
Dynamic Power*: 225 watts @ ≤ 1% THD

and could sell those and for just a bit more money pick up two of these:

http://www.klipsch.com/sw-110-subwoofer
AMPLIFIER: BASH® Digital Hybrid
AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Power: 200 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 450 watts
BUILT FROM: 2010
DEPTH: 17" (43.2cm)
DRIVE COMPONENTS: 10" (25.4cm) Active non-resonant Woven Fiberglass driver
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing slot port
EXPORT VOLTAGE: NA, EU, CCC
FINISHES: Black pica
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 28Hz-120Hz ± 3dB
HEIGHT: 14" (35.6cm)
INPUTS: L/R Line-level RCA jacks, L/R High-level speaker binding posts, WA port
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 113dB @ 30Hz

The volume from my two subs is fine as it stands now FWIW - and I definitely don't need the volume to go any louder, as it would disturb neighbors, but I'm wondering if 1. the front firing speaker would decrease some resonance into the concrete floors, and 2. would it dig deeper at the same volume? For instance, if they're both at 80db, will the newer subs be able to play lower? they seem to have more or less the same frequency response

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Only you can answer that...I would probably do it for the lower extension. However I would go with different subs all together.

No driver orientation does not matter since bass waves are omni directional.

for 499.00 you can get a svs pb-1000 that will dig to 19hz, which is a much better buy than the sw-110.
post #3 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Only you can answer that...I would probably do it for the lower extension. However I would go with different subs all together.

No driver orientation does not matter since bass waves are omni directional.

for 499.00 you can get a svs pb-1000 that will dig to 19hz, which is a much better buy than the sw-110.

Fair enough - but I can get the sw-110 for 200 including tax.

post #4 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Is that before selling the other sub(s)
post #5 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is that before selling the other sub(s)

Yup.. Can get one of those for 200 including tax, which would mean I'd have to buy a new one as well, ( @ 350 + tax ) .. bringing me to about 600 - and could sell mine for about 200 each - so would be a 200 dollar investment to get two of the sw 110's all together. That being said I could go the same route, sell my two klipsch kw 100s and pick up 1 svs pb-1000 sub for about the same investment. Or I could do nothing smile.gif

post #6 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

+1
post #7 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Yup.. Can get one of those for 200 including tax, which would mean I'd have to buy a new one as well, ( @ 350 + tax ) .. bringing me to about 600 - and could sell mine for about 200 each - so would be a 200 dollar investment to get two of the sw 110's all together. That being said I could go the same route, sell my two klipsch kw 100s and pick up 1 svs pb-1000 sub for about the same investment. Or I could do nothing smile.gif

I would sell the kw 100`s and step up to the pb1000...then add another down the road if need be. The pb1000 should have as much output, 10hz more extension, and better sound quality then dual kw 100s. 1/8 space 1m output @ 30hz is around 115db for the pb1000.
post #8 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would sell the kw 100`s and step up to the pb1000...then add another down the road if need be. The pb1000 should have as much output, 10hz more extension, and better sound quality then dual kw 100s. 1/8 space 1m output @ 30hz is around 115db for the pb1000.

Ok I'll consider doing that. My only concern is that right now for music the bass is pretty seemless and non localized due I think to the fact that my two subs are right up beside my L and R speaker respectively. I'm worried with just one sub that I'd be able to easier place the sub ( I know that bass waves are supposed to be omni directional ) .. is that line of thought erroneous or is there something to it?

post #9 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 320
My question is, how far do you want to go? Before you do this, Power Sound audio has quite a few subs in their B stock section. Depending on your budget, you could get one good sub and get another later.
Sean Spamilton likes this.
post #10 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I'll consider doing that. My only concern is that right now for music the bass is pretty seemless and non localized due I think to the fact that my two subs are right up beside my L and R speaker respectively. I'm worried with just one sub that I'd be able to easier place the sub ( I know that bass waves are supposed to be omni directional ) .. is that line of thought erroneous or is there something to it?

I definately prefer multiple subs...however if i had to chose between 2 lesser subs or 1 quality. I would go for the quality with the intentions of adding a second when funds allow. If thats not a option then stick with what you have.
post #11 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

My question is, how far do you want to go? Before you do this, Power Sound audio has quite a few subs in their B stock section. Depending on your budget, you could get one good sub and get another later.

Well actually It was more of a fancy, as I saw such a good deal on the Klipsch sw -110, I was thinking it would be worth it to buy it and match it for a cheap upgrade over mine. Power Sound Audio subs - even their b stock - is way more money then I want / need to spend atm, in addition I'm in Canada, and there would be major costs incurred with bringing one over here ( shipping / border fees ) .. But SVS actually has a dealer in Toronto, and they sell at the same price CAD as USD which is a huge bonus. So really that would be the way to go. I'll see if I get some bites on Kijiji on my current subs and decide from there. Thanks for the input though.

post #12 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well actually It was more of a fancy, as I saw such a good deal on the Klipsch sw -110, I was thinking it would be worth it to buy it and match it for a cheap upgrade over mine. Power Sound Audio subs - even their b stock - is way more money then I want / need to spend atm, in addition I'm in Canada, and there would be major costs incurred with bringing one over here ( shipping / border fees ) .. But SVS actually has a dealer in Toronto, and they sell at the same price CAD as USD which is a huge bonus. So really that would be the way to go. I'll see if I get some bites on Kijiji on my current subs and decide from there. Thanks for the input though.

This is why i did not mention psa...being you are in canada. However you could have them shipped near the boarder and pick them up.
post #13 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is why i did not mention psa...being you are in canada. However you could have them shipped near the boarder and pick them up.

True enough, but I'd still have to pay shipping to the border, and unless I wanted to try to smuggle them across would still get stung with huge border fees... Plus I'd have to rent a car to drive them back to TO - so it's not worth it. SVS sounds like the next step if I'm to upgrade.

post #14 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True enough, but I'd still have to pay shipping to the border, and unless I wanted to try to smuggle them across would still get stung with huge border fees... Plus I'd have to rent a car to drive them back to TO - so it's not worth it. SVS sounds like the next step if I'm to upgrade.

PSA offers free shipping in the lower 47 states. Yes you would have to pay duty tho...that being said I would stick with SVS being your budget and situation.
post #15 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:

Like basshead said shipping with the US is free from PSA and the fees you'd be paying is the taxes, which you'd be paying buying something from Canada too. Because PSA subs are made in the US they're duty free.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Like basshead said shipping with the US is free from PSA and the fees you'd be paying is the taxes, which you'd be paying buying something from Canada too. Because PSA subs are made in the US they're duty free.

I live in Canada - They don't ship here for free. And I would have to pay duty on it crossing the border. Not worth it I'm afraid.

post #17 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

I live in Canada - They don't ship here for free. And I would have to pay duty on it crossing the border. Not worth it I'm afraid.

If you don’t say anything I can alert you to a tunnel I know of between the borders. Yes I admit it, I’m a old sub smuggler. biggrin.gif just let me know..

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #18 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
IMHO, When it comes to subwoofers, Take big steps when upgrading, otherwise you will not feel it..
post #19 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
To escape taxes, Install the subwoofer in your car biggrin.gif
post #20 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

If you don’t say anything I can alert you to a tunnel I know of between the borders. Yes I admit it, I’m a old sub smuggler. biggrin.gif just let me know..

Sounds like a set up to me wink.gif I'll get half way through the tunnel and there will be an entire regiment of American border patrol officers waiting for me on the other end -
" We have it on good authority you might be trying to sneak a subwoofer into Canada sir! " - I won't fall for it!

post #21 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've upgraded my LR from an Infinity cascade 15 sub to 2 BFM THT-LP's, 30 inches wide, each with a BASH 300, and the difference is beyond description.
Others who hear it with the usual sampling of "show pieces" , BIG thearter sound, the clark transducers are almost redundant.
I haven't even started with audussy XT32 in the onkyo 818 and then I can fire up REW and then a 1124P, etc. etc. etc.
but the OH WOW factor, once heard, will just blow away any notion of wanting to compromise.
Yes they're big and fill 12 feet of the 15 ft wide space behind my seat. They are aimed at the walls for now. The rear wall is another 10 ft. back.

BTW my WAF factor is nonexistent.

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
post #22 of 50 Old 08-11-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

Sounds like a set up to me wink.gif I'll get half way through the tunnel and there will be an entire regiment of American border patrol officers waiting for me on the other end -
" We have it on good authority you might be trying to sneak a subwoofer into Canada sir! " - I won't fall for it!

Lol.. Clearly you don’t appreciate my services or offer. Okey-dokey not a prob.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #23 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Lol.. Clearly you don’t appreciate my services or offer. Okey-dokey not a prob.

I thought you meant submarine sandwiches. Now who would want to smuggle those? eek.gif

I've done this too long. Unfortunately, I've upgraded my thinking to that of being a subwoofer snob. If one isn't in it for really serious bass, I've lost the ability to rationally respond. Boo-hoo me. tongue.gif

My visceral response, buy a pair of Rythmik, LV12R's with an eye, as soon as reasonably possible, on a third LV12R and then I read the specs of the subwoofers being considered. eek.gif Oh holy crap Batman, this guy's not into bass. Then it hits me......I've become a bass snob.

Maybe sell the subwoofers you currently have and buy a single LV12R and as soon as reasonably possible, buy a second one?

Then I read about all the border dispute, tax, import, shipping nonsense and I think.....poor Canadians, always with the taxes and getting screwed, simply because they want a decent subwoofer from South of the border. Is that too much to ask? That in of itself would make one want to migrate to the U.S. and then you realized, Americans are being taxed to death at the local level.....gotta love those California taxes as Sacramento sure knows how to show the successful person a good time. I guess you might as well fool them all, die and then they can collect their taxes from your......

...tongue.gif

Then the frustration of it all hits me and my recommendation becomes.....keep what you're currently using and you'll be a happy camper. There's no need to ruin this person's life with spurious recommendations. Be happy with the bass you have. Go to your subwoofers, apologize for thinking they're not good enough. Give them a hug because they love you and want to be with you forever;

"Thunder Buddies for life"

(warning, language)

Can you ever forgive me for becoming a bass/subwoofer snob?

-
d_m1010 likes this.
post #24 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Not if crossed over at 80Hz or lower.
post #25 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I thought you meant submarine sandwiches. Now who would want to smuggle those? eek.gif

I've done this too long. Unfortunately, I've upgraded my thinking to that of being a subwoofer snob. If one isn't in it for really serious bass, I've lost the ability to rationally respond. Boo-hoo me. tongue.gif

My visceral response, buy a pair of Rythmik, LV12R's with an eye, as soon as reasonably possible, on a third LV12R and then I read the specs of the subwoofers being considered. eek.gif Oh holy crap Batman, this guy's not into bass. Then it hits me......I've become a bass snob.

Maybe sell the subwoofers you currently have and buy a single LV12R and as soon as reasonably possible, buy a second one?

Then I read about all the border dispute, tax, import, shipping nonsense and I think.....poor Canadians, always with the taxes and getting screwed, simply because they want a decent subwoofer from South of the border. Is that too much to ask? That in of itself would make one want to migrate to the U.S. and then you realized, Americans are being taxed to death at the local level.....gotta love those California taxes as Sacramento sure knows how to show the successful person a good time. I guess you might as well fool them all, die and then they can collect their taxes from your......

...tongue.gif

Then the frustration of it all hits me and my recommendation becomes.....keep what you're currently using and you'll be a happy camper. There's no need to ruin this person's life with spurious recommendations. Be happy with the bass you have. Go to your subwoofers, apologize for thinking they're not good enough. Give them a hug because they love you and want to be with you forever;

"Thunder Buddies for life"

(warning, language)

Can you ever forgive me for becoming a bass/subwoofer snob?

-

wink.gif

post #26 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Not sure what you're trying to communicate.

If you're suggesting that my above is because of being drunk, I haven't been drinking and if you're suggesting I need a drink, it means you don't understand humor.
post #27 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Not sure what you're trying to communicate.

If you're suggesting that my above is because of being drunk, I haven't been drinking and if you're suggesting I need a drink, it means you don't understand humor.

Relax I'm just kidding too smile.gif FWIW I loved that movie!

post #28 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

take it easy with beeman...sarcasm and jokes tend to go right over his head. smile.gif
post #29 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:

You wouldn't have to pay duty on a PSA sub, I live in Canada too. If you're in Toronto you're not terribly too far from the border. You could have it shipped somewhere close to the border and run down and pick it up and bring it back yourself, you'd only have to pay the taxes on it. It's not very hard too do.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #30 of 50 Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks. It's hard to read (understand) someone with only a single graphic that can go several simultaneous directions. "Ted" was rude, crude, sophomoric and absolutely hilarious. Regarding the movie, all-and-all considered, it was a marvel of writing, acting and humor and the actors had to have had a blast making the movie. I'd love to see the outtake feed.

Quote:

take it easy with beeman...sarcasm and jokes tend to go right over his head. smile.gif

I do my best to make sure it's known what door I'm knocking on so nobody has to worry if I'm kicking on the front or the backdoor.

It really has become hard/frustrating to recommend a subwoofer when the subwoofers in question, have the specs being listed.

-
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page