Has my klipsch bash amp bit the bullet? Rw-12D, any insight??? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 08-16-2013, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

Went home for lunch and moved sub #2. (The one that didn't have a problem from start of this thread) to another room and switched it on and Guess WHAT COMPLETE SILENCE AS IT SHOULD BEHAVE.

Well, that eliminates the neighbors and the utility transformers but with as much as you have going on in the background, anything becomes a possibility.

As to your question, yes, better subwoofer cables will provide better rejection characteristics but won't necessarily solve the problem. You have a lot going on behind the scenes and it's darn near impossible on my end to say what is exactly causing your trouble. Experimentation is the only solution and it's all done, one cable connection at a time until you finally stumble on the offending culprit.

One can throw a boatload of time buying and experimenting with cables and connections and not find a solution and then your idiot brother comes along, bumps the rack and you find a loose connection that you had missed. The point, all you can do is check what's connected and see what you can do to isolate or correct for any issues, one wire at a time.

Reading your above, it sounds like you're well on your way to isolating the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Working with you, I'm hesitant to add an Emotiva, XPA-5 to our system, just because of the problems the additional wires can add to our system but in the meantime, if I don't add the outboard amplifier, as you pointed out, I won't be able to take benefit of the additional amplification; headroom.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

-

BeeMan, first off let me tell you I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness (including loveinthehd too) you have spent adding insight and intellect to my thread! I have a UPDATE on my recent gremlins for you both. And whomever else is following along quietly.
I HAVE ISOLATED MY SPEAKER HUMM/BUZZ ( I BELIEVE) TO MY BBE 482i SONIC MAXIMIZERS. When I was close to my system I realized that my 2 BBE Sound 482i's have a humm/buzz to them when they are on and they in turn are passing this noise onto my amp and then through my speaker wires to my speakers. My surround right is not hooked up to the BBE 482 as I have 2 and the each are only 2 channels. The SR speaker is furthest from my sitting location so I left this one out as 2 BBE's can maximize only 4 speakers. The SR has a slight white noise but not as audible as the 4 speakers that are hooked to the BBE. The noise the BBE makes when on is the same sound I hear eminating from my speakers. I'm not sure if this is bad or not but until I speak with BBE on Monday I won't know if this is OK?
When I hook up the UMC 200 soon I will see if taking the BBE's out gets rid of the Noise.

SUB 1 and 2 update:
both subs are working fine now. Sub 2 I fixed by changing sub cable to rg6 ( using rg59 now with less shielding for better sound). I also do not have BBE's plugged into same surge as subs anymore. I swapped out my new recent RCA cable from monoprice on sub 1 and am not using the mediabridge Y splitter currently and the sub is silent in standby and works as normal when asked to do so.

I also have my xpa-5 going directly into a wall plug and not my huge Monster power conditioner anymore as Emotiva wants it this way. Not sure the reasoning behind it though? I hate having it exposed like that.

I did just go to Home Depot and lowes yesterday and spent a couple hundred on a twin 20 amp single pole with whole house surge protector. I also bought 250' 12/2 romex and a couple 20 amp outlets and boxes to run 3 dedicated 20 amp breakers to my family room.

-One 20 amp for 7 x 350 watt amp, which it calls for this dedicated power itself.

-One 20 amp for 12,000 btu window ac just if I plan on using this again next year. Prob used it less than 10 times this past 4 weeks. I bought it a few years back and never used it so I figured I would use it a few weeks back to supplement my central air as we just finished up with a heat wave in NJ.
-One 20 amp (why not I'm running all this romex and wiring into my circuit breaker, Nows the time esp since I bought 250' romex) for my currently installed XPA-5

The XPA-5 has more expensive internals and doesn't require a 20 amp circuit nor a separate dedicated 15 amp but it may be wise to run it with all my other electronics on a diff circuit than my 65" Panny plasma is on. I have the extra 20 amp breakers on hand, space in my panel and plenty of romex since I splurged on the 250' roll since it was only $16 more than the 100' roll. Each run will be about 52-65' so I should have a nice amount left over for another future 20 amp breaker if I ever need one.

Beeman,
please don't let my very small hiccups scare you away from the XPA-5. The BBE sonic maximizers seems to be 99% for sure the culprit. I will know for sure soon. Maybe tomorrow I will hook up my UMC 200 and try without BBE. First off I am calling BBE to see if this is normal behavior that won't effect anything long term. The seem to be powerful little pieces of equipment and certainly add some extra juice. Some 20 db headroom. I really like what they do and how they increase my sonic pleasure. I like having the ability to adjust bass and treble from artist to artist. I like them so much I want to add them to my def tech and paradigm's in my bedroom. Although I am itching to get the entry level wall mount Magnepans for my bedroom and am not sure these would suit a speaker like this.
I say if you can swing it go 4 it. The XPA-5 just released the gen2 model so it is $100 more and lighter at 71#'s but apparently sounds even better. You just missed their summer sale though where they were giving $100 emo bucks with purchase but if you don't plan on buying anything else anytime soon then it doesn't matter. You could have bought cables with it though. The emo bucks really is smart on their part bc it gets you spending more $ on another item.

One last thing. The noise that is coming from my BBE's is very similar to the sound mt scientific anlanta 8300 HD explorer DVR box makes. My cable box is a little louder though. It seems the BBE s acting normal and par for the course. I just need to make sure it won't damage anything long term. I see no worries being that it has unbalanced connections too and is okay for RCA hook ups. The 882 model is only XLR hookup.
I take it the BBE's on plugged into the surge with the sub triggered the sub to blow off. I had the BBE on I think at the time but I did not have my amp on. So they were getting a signal from pre amp but was not able to pass it along bc they are wired to my amp and it wasn't on. Maybe this caused a situation. Not sure. I just hope both subs continue to act normal. Well see.im confident sub #2 is fine now that there is no noise.

Side note: I helped my neighbor yesterday and while at his house he was showing me his wharfdale speakers. When he powered on his circuit breaker( we had it off were doing work) and I immediately heard a humm/buzz coming from his wharfdale sub. I was unable to get rid of it for him changing out to a rg59 cable. He had a older Sony avr. He didn't even notice it until I pointed it out to him. Maybe it is how his sub behaves. I did notice when it powered off the on/ off light took 15 seconds or so to power fade out. My subs however were always silent leading up to this so I know it wasn't typical behavior for them.

That's all I have for now until I set the UMC 200 up....
post #33 of 33 Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

BeeMan, first off let me tell you I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness (including loveinthehd too) you have spent adding insight and intellect to my thread!

If it helped great. biggrin.gif

Quote:
The XPA-5 has more expensive internals and doesn't require a 20 amp circuit nor a separate dedicated 15 amp but it may be wise to run it with all my other electronics on a diff circuit than my 65" Panny plasma is on.

Based on your above regarding new circuits, I'm sure you'll find this information enlightening as to what you can expect your 20A circuits to handle: "Eaton time current curves."

-
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page