Need Help Understanding Room Size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out my exact room size. My main listening room is 4000 cubic feet; however, it is connected to an open hallway. The opening is 2.75 feet across and 9.75 feet high. The hallway itself is 1000 cubic feet. Would I consider this part of the room? So, 4000 +1000, I have a 5000 cubic foot room? Or, since it is the only opening in the room and it is not massive, would I include this hallway in a reduced manner. My current subwoofer is a corner loaded SVS pb-1000, and I am just trying to figure out if I am going to upgrade in any way. I only raise the volume of my Pioneer receiver to about -18db max, and I did run MCACC. I think the sub sounds great at that volume, but I am just considering all my options within the upgrade window for SVS. Right now, I don't think it would be worth it. Any info on the room size question would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 158
When calculating room size for a subwoofer you need to take into account ALL spaces open the area the sub is in no matter how small. What is connected to that hallway? If there is no doorway you need to add that in as well. The subwoofer will "see" anything that is not closed off. If you are happy with what you have then let it be. Upgrading subs is a slippery slope to get in to. It can get expensive fast depending on what you want and how visually unobtrusive you need your subs to be.
pmanyon likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! The hallway is open, so I guess my space should be considered 5000 cubic feet. The thing is, at -19 to -17db, I am happy with the performance I am getting from the subwoofer. Also, SVS customer support recommended it knowing the size of everything, so they must have been pretty confident I would like it coming from a much smaller orb uber 10 sub. Anyway, I have a 120 WPC Pioneer 1222k working with 100 watt power handling Bowers and Wilkins M-1 speakers, so I don't plan on playing louder than -17db anyway because I don't want to distort or even damage my speakers. I was just curious about how big my listening space actually is. At my listening levels, I think the pb-1000 is just fine.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a side note, MCACC does not EQ the sub. Not sure of you knew that already or not.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

How would that affect things for my particular situation? It did set the level of the sub.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It just means the phase, distance and frequency response may not be optimal. You may or may not have peaks and dips in the frequency response handled by your sub.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
As stated already, my belief is that if you are happy just leave things be. Cuz most ppl here would recommend probably 2 - 12" or 15" subs for your space or at least a 2nd PB1000.

Also about size: are there any other openings that your hallway leads to that is not sealed off by a door? If yes then that room would have to be added on as well.

Shawn
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page