post #31 of 36 Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

No. But it does mean you've become slave to negative consequences symmetrical placement of your subwoofers brings to the listener's experience. (ignorant idea) And yet, at the same time, yes, an outboard Amp may be a necessary addition as one's subwoofer system succeeds in overpowering one's speaker system. -

not sure I follow you, but what do you mean by your statement? I don't find the bass in my room to be horrible by symmetrical placement. I have the room treated with bass traps in all corners from floor to ceiling with first and second reflection points treated, back wall treatment and using the 38% rule. I don't have any issues with bass being boomy or anything, but without the subs doing the work, my speakers are lifeless in terms of bass, but with the subs right behind them, most people don't even realize the subs are even there and think the bass is from my speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just thoght that if my lodspeakers woofers were kicking in slightly too, that would mean double bass, well, similar to that. i kind of thoght it was possible that's not a good thing but if it's normal that's brilliant. Thanks again BeeMan.

post #33 of 36 Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I notice that that pure 80hz signal that should only be coming from the subwoofer is also slightly coming from my front loudspeakers woofers too.It looks like my receiver isn't completely crossing over at 80hz, maybe this is normal.
It is. Low pass filters aren't brickwall, and neither are high pass filters.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #34 of 36 Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

not sure I follow you, but what do you mean by your statement? I don't find the bass in my room to be horrible by symmetrical placement. I have the room treated with bass traps in all corners from floor to ceiling with first and second reflection points treated, back wall treatment and using the 38% rule. I don't have any issues with bass being boomy or anything, but without the subs doing the work, my speakers are lifeless in terms of bass, but with the subs right behind them, most people don't even realize the subs are even there and think the bass is from my speakers.

Without room measuring capability, one can't know how their room is responding to the output of their subwoofer system.

The worst of null issues, always seems to fall where the main listening position is located.

Lower than 80Hz, bass loses locatability.

Symmetrical placement looks good (originally, I was guilty also) but makes for terrible interaction with a room's acoustics.

Do you have room measuring capability?

Have you set your subwoofer system up for music? In my opinion, by comparison, to Home Theater, music is not as demanding to Home Theater which I consider to be very demanding and very unforgiving? Music, usually has a continuous bass line running in the background where as Home Theater's demand is special effects laden; zero to supersonic and back, all in a fraction of a second. Some of today's "drum and bass" is an exception to my above as the above is a generalization as opposed to being specific or all inclusive of one genre over another.

A double bass guitar goes to about 31Hz whereas THX spec's to 20Hz with the expectation of +10dB worth of extra headroom (115dB) over that of the speaker system which is expected to be spec'd at 105dB capability. Today's Home Theater sound tracks easily pump out demanding content that is sub-20Hz whereas, in the case of music, it's the rare commercial music piece that demands sub-20Hz capability and it's the rare music system that's set up to competently reproduce sub-20Hz content.

As to the amplifier issue, what I've found (personal experience as opposed to lab tests), when a movie's action sequence ramps up, the multiple, independent subwoofer amplifiers are up to the task of keeping up but the AVR's single amplification system is not up to the task so as the subwoofer's separate amplifiers easily keeps up with the demands of the sound track, I can hear the life getting sucked out of the sound track as the speaker system falls way behind the ability of the subwoofers and the subwoofers overpower the speaker system output and speaker based sound falls to the background. So yes, I agree with you stating that you find need for an outboard amplifier.

(sorry about the poor or confusing written communication style. I do try to make sure I don't create confusion)

(say hello to San Jose for us. we moved in November of 2010 and haven't looked back. We lived in Cambrian (95118), across the street from Willow Glen (95125) on Foxworthy, close to Cherry Ave. We retired to the mountains above Chico, living the dream of working hard at doing nothing all day)

BTO: "Taking Care of Business"

-
post #35 of 36 Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

Thanks again BeeMan.

...biggrin.gif
post #36 of 36 Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

(sorry about the poor or confusing written communication style. I do try to make sure I don't create confusion)

(say hello to San Jose for us. we moved in November of 2010 and haven't looked back. We lived in Cambrian (95118), across the street from Willow Glen (95125) on Foxworthy, close to Cherry Ave. We retired to the mountains above Chico, living the dream of working hard at doing nothing all day)

BTO: "Taking Care of Business"

-

Oh ok, i got it now, but unfortunately no measuring equipment and I'm set up for home theater only.

I don't blame you not looking back at San Jose, especially with the way things have been lately, but this definitely not the area for anyone to retire so glad you've found a better place to enjoy life.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page