Problem with bass playing through center speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I play movies with bass the low freq bass scenes play out of not only the sub but also the center channel speaker. The same thing happens when I play the test tones to calibrate. The center channel is trying to play freq it shouldn't be playing. The sub is running from the pre out, and all wires seem to be in order. I am running an onkyo tx sr805, a polk cs10 and a small 8 inch subwoofer. Couldn't figure it out a a search on the topic yielded no results, so I am stumped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Are the speaker set to large or small and what is the crossover?

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #3 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

All speakers are set to small at 80hz.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
80Hz will sound bassy, especially when your subwoofer is a small 8 inch that probable can't deliver much, if any, more low end than the mains.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Where is your center channel located i.e. is it in an enclosed space? If so, that will bloat the signal coz of enclosure gain.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes it is in an enclosed space, but I decided to turn off the center channel, and the bass still plays through the center speaker even though it is set to off. No dialog etc was playing just the bass. I don't think a cabinet or cross over would have this affect.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Post some pictures of your av rack including the place where your sub is

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Liked: 801
Dumb question on my part, what happens when you unplug the center channel?

A crossover is a slope, not a brick wall so if you set your crossover to 80Hz, you're still going get sub 80Hz content through any channel tracked to receive 80Hz content. If you have a 24dB slope, if I understand these things correctly (and there's a good chance I don't), one can expect to have 60Hz content playing through the center channel, although at a lesser level, by about 6dB or not quite, half as loud.

My guess, you're expecting a brick wall as opposed to a slope or roll off. Enter "crossover slope" into your search engine and see what you come up with.

-
post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes it is in an enclosed space, but I decided to turn off the center channel, and the bass still plays through the center speaker even though it is set to off.

Be a bit more specific as to what you are trying to do. Are you playing a test tone, music, or watching a movie? Is it 2.1, 2-channel, 5.1, all channel stereo mode in the AVR?

Most of the time, room acoustics govern the response of your system. Your room is your biggest enemy. Know your room more than the system itself, which will yield far greater dividends.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #10 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Dumb question on my part, what happens when you unplug the center channel?

A crossover is a slope, not a brick wall so if you set your crossover to 80Hz, you're still going get sub 80Hz content through any channel tracked to receive 80Hz content. If you have a 24dB slope, if I understand these things correctly (and there's a good chance I don't), one can expect to have 60Hz content playing through the center channel, although at a lesser level, by about 6dB or not quite, half as loud.

My guess, you're expecting a brick wall as opposed to a slope or roll off. Enter "crossover slope" into your search engine and see what you come up with.

-
When I unplug the center channel no sound comes out. When I have the center plugged in but the center channel turned off (using the settings in reciever) the bass still plays through the center. I turned the crossover up to 200hz on the center to verify it wasn't set too low but the bass is still there.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Be a bit more specific as to what you are trying to do. Are you playing a test tone, music, or watching a movie? Is it 2.1, 2-channel, 5.1, all channel stereo mode in the AVR?

Most of the time, room acoustics govern the response of your system. Your room is your biggest enemy. Know your room more than the system itself, which will yield far greater dividends.
Both playing movies and test tones all bass runs to center channel, it plays the dialog as well, not just the bass. I am running a 5.1 system. I know how important the room is but I have ruled out the possibility that it is just the room causing the problem, I also know its not the speaker because I switched it out and tried a few others.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattywac333 View Post

When I unplug the center channel no sound comes out. When I have the center plugged in but the center channel turned off (using the settings in reciever) the bass still plays through the center. I turned the crossover up to 200hz on the center to verify it wasn't set too low but the bass is still there.

Don't know the why, but my center channel is en garde all the time also. That's why I asked about disconnecting it. I hate phantom speakers that keep talking to me.....after they've been unplugged. If you want to measure you subs, sans the center channel, if your system is like ours, you'll have to unplug it and if after being unplugged, it keeps talking to you, fool it and go all Freddy Krueger on it. Saves on the price of an exorcism.

Using many different measurements as a guide, I find I get the smoothest extended (20Hz to 120Hz) graphs with the center channel connected. Due to internal crossover settings, the subwoofer's graph drops like a stone. With the center channel unplugged, after (IIRC) 45Hz, there's about a 24dB roll off.

(it's surprising and embarrassing as in "o holy wow batman!")

Our subs are set to 120Hz and the AVR's internal crossovers are set to 80Hz.

My understanding, test tones going to the AVR from the computer, are stereo and go to all the channels. The only time I get pure subwoofer energy is when running Anti-Mode, 8033S II (which is plugged in and plays after the AVR) or when running Audyssey, MultEQ which plays each channel separately.

I find disconnecting the mains have little affect on the measurement graph, the surrounds have no impact what so ever and the center channel is everything to the reading. Take the center channel out and everything noses into the dirt.

We're running the equivalent of three, Klipsch, RW-12d's.

(hope the above helps provide insight to your question)

-
post #13 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I turned the crossover up to 200hz on the center to verify it wasn't set too low but the bass is still there.

If I understand u correctly, that is way too high a crossover in a 5.1 system. Couple it with high gain on the sub trim level in avr and/or high gain on the sub amp; you would get a very bloated response regardless of whether it's a center chanel or FR/FL.

Lower the xo on CC to 80Hz or between 100Hz and 120Hz if you are using sats. What SPL reading do you get on the sub?

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #14 of 14 Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 146
To more clearly understand the original question, it sound as if the sub channel is bleeding into the center(cross talk)? He did say he cut the center channel off. He may have a grounding issue.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page