Can't get a distance and phase read on wireless Sub with Sony receiver. Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone here can help me with this issue.

Because of the way my living room is set up, I am unable to place my front-firing subwoofer next to/near my tower speakers. Therefore, I decided to buy a Rocketfish wireless kit and placed the subwoofer in a corner behind a chair that no one uses (again, limited options for this).

Anyway, I recently purchased a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver. When calibrating, I always get a notice that the amp cannot detect the distance or phase of the subwoofer. It can FIND the subwoofer (I get the test patterns and everything), but nothing else. My old Onkyo receiver would always give me a distance, typically an unusually long distance of 30ish ft in order to compensate for the slight wireless delay, I'm guessing. However, nothing on the Sony.

I have the Rocketfish plugged into LFE on the sub, but I tried the other jack as well but still had the same problem. I also tried moving the sub around, but had the same results.

I ordered an extra long sub cable, so I can connect directly. I wonder if that's the issue. Maybe Sony's calibrating mic is confused by the wireless kit?

Speakers are Polk TSI400s and a CS10 center channel. The Sony has no problem with that. The sub is a Polk PSW505.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
the sony probably does not have enough distance variance to accomodate the delay from the rocket fish wireless device. The rocket fish has about 30ms of delay so add that on top of the distance your sub is from the LP. My Yamaha has up to 80ft adjustment but some recievers only have 30ft.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

The sub is only 15 feet from the receiver though. I even moved it closer to 10 feet and it had the same result.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you are missing what I am trying to say...if the sony will only go up to 30ft distance, then it will not be able to adjust the distance correctly with the rocket fish wireless. The rocketfish has a 30ms delay which means if you set your sub 10ft from the lp then the correct delay setting should be 40ft in the avr to compensate for the 30ms delay the rocket fish has. So you need to figure out how much distance adjustment the Sony has before we go any further with diagnosing the issue.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

How do I find this out? Keep moving the sub closer and closer to the amp until it gives me a reading?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

How do I find this out? Keep moving the sub closer and closer to the amp until it gives me a reading?

disconnect the wireless, hook it up direct, run the calibration software in the avr...then it should let you manually adjust the distance setting. Adjust it to its max and see where it stops.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

32ft and 9 inches.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

the sub needs to be within 2ft and 9in of the LP for your sony to calibrate the distance.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page