To upgrade or to not upgrade, could use some input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. I get pretty OCD when it comes to stuff like this and right now I have read way too many reviews and jumped on as many sites as I could to get input. So I will post here n see what I get back.

I currently have a Sony 12' sub SA-WM40, which is at least 10 yrs old connected via LFE. It gives me 150 RMS and sais it goes down to 20hz. Now, there is nothing wrong with it but I figured it is getting up there in age so maybe getting something newer will help me achieve my goal. I am not a big spender, and yes I understand the more you spend, the better quality you will get (in some cases).

Now, I have all my crossovers on my Onkyo set to where I like them, and my HT room is prob 18x20. I was originally just going to swap my Sony Sub, with a new one, then realized it has an output to add another sub. I am currently eying the BIC F12 and the Dayton1200.

My dilemma is this. I am looking for a nice solid punch, and bass that I can "feel" without getting boomy. With my HT room size I don't know if it would be better to just swap out the Sony with 1 BIC or to combine the BIC or Dayton with my Sony. I was leaning towards using the BIC to replace my Sony all the way till I started to see good things about the Dayton. The other thing was that the Dayton, is of course cheaper and has a lower RMS but the same frequency range. Which might not be a bad thing, since if I got that one, I would def pair it with the Sony and again, the room is not all that big. So my thought was 2 subs = 300 RMS may be too much so I would go with a lower powered 2nd sub as to not get too much for the space. The BIC however just looks like it is beefier than both my Sony and the Dayton. Still there is nothing wrong with my Sony at this point, so maybe it would be best to stand pat till that dies.

Your thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertacrit View Post

Your thoughts....

Budget? And good luck. Check out the threads for under $300.00 subwoofers and budget minded subwoofers.

There's a boatload of budget minded threads on the first few pages. Check these thread out as there's a huge amount of insight being shared.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Budget? And good luck. Check out the threads for under $300.00 subwoofers and budget minded subwoofers.

This is good advice. Check those out.

However, in a room that size, I think you'll have trouble getting good punchy (not boomy) bass with a $200 budget. Save up for the Premier Acoustics PA-150, which can usually be had for $350 if you make Acoustic Sound Design an offer.

post #4 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
post #5 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
I would definitely loose the WM40. I started out with the 40 and a Kenwood many years ago, you would be much better served with what cel4145 suggests imo.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #6 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I saw the "stuffing" thread about a week ago and it has helped tighten it up. I use my HT for 20%gaming, 80% movies, so no music. From all the reviews n forums, it looked like the top 2 - $200 & under 12" subs were the Bic and the Dayton. The fact that the Sony is 10-15 yrs old, and back then I thought subs were just about just the boom I think its about time to retire it. I also think am missing alot of what the newer subs have to offer, as far as tighter "hits" n smoother response. I understand if I save longer I could get a nicer one but it just is not in the budget right now.

Right now Amazon has interest free for 6 months, so I ordered the Dayton 1200, will give it a try with and without the Sony. We will see if it is an improvement...if not, I will return it and try the Bic F12.

Counting the minutes till it arrives....(dammit)
post #7 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right now Amazon has interest free for 6 months, so I ordered the Dayton 1200, will give it a try with and without the Sony. We will see if it is an improvement...if not, I will return it and try the Bic F12.

You do realize it will be expensive to ship the Dayton 1200 back. Shipping weight is 44 lbs and it will be a big box. Could be shipping it back will come close to covering the cost of the BIC F12 in the first place.
steve nn likes this.

post #8 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Return shipping is paid for by Parts express (the ones who actually sold me the sub through Amazon). So there is no cost to me if I return it within 45 days. No risk is invovled. That's why I was ok with giving this one a whirl first. Otherwise, yes, it would not have made sense and any way you look at it, this is truly a blind buy. Hopefully it works out well and I keep it, just to avoid the trouble. But I have peice of mind with free return shipping, and have read great things about Parts Express' customer service and return procedure.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Return shipping is paid for by Parts express (the ones who actually sold me the sub through Amazon). So there is no cost to me if I return it within 45 days. No risk is invovled. That's why I was ok with giving this one a whirl first. Otherwise, yes, it would not have made sense and any way you look at it, this is truly a blind buy. Hopefully it works out well and I keep it, just to avoid the trouble. But I have peice of mind with free return shipping, and have read great things about Parts Express' customer service and return procedure.

Yeah PE is great! I didn’t know they had the free return shipping though. cool

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #10 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Yeah PE is great! I didn’t know they had the free return shipping though. cool

I didn't know that either. Their return policy says, "Return postage-prepaid and insured via ground or parcel post." I always assumed that meant that the buyer pays the return postage. That's good if they cover it.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
most folks mistake boomy bass for room modes that are being excited by a single sub. No single sub can effictively smooth room modes, which is why multiples are the way to go. I bet you will find running both subs yield a smoother less boomy response being they are properly placed.
steve nn likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

I also think am missing alot of what the newer subs have to offer, as far as tighter "hits" n smoother response. I understand if I save longer I could get a nicer one but it just is not in the budget right now.

Tighter and smoother is all about placement and the room's interaction with the subwoofer's output but without room measuring capability, nobody will know and understand the why of it all.

(why does your system sound like crap?)

(I don't know, I don't have room measuring capability)

...eek.gif
post #13 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well Crap. The Dayton came today. I am testing it with Tron Legacy Blu, using the mono input as it says to for my LFE. And I have the gain all the way up, all my crossovers set properly and the vol all the way up to 12db for LFE on my reciever. When I compare it to my 15 year old Sony, it is half as effective IMO and the sony is only at half gain and reciever LFE is set to 0db. There is only 30 watts difference I guess maybe I was naive in not thinking there would be that much of a drop off in power. I do not have them paired up as my RCA cable has not come yet from Monoprice, but by itself there is so little coming from it without it being maxed, that I dunno that it will add much when it is. Well...guess I know now. I will give it another few days and try it paired up once my cable comes, but I am not impressed. dammit. mad.gif More than likely I will hafta return it and get the Bic F12. Live and learn I guess.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wattage is the not the only factor that affects maximum output. Driver sensitivity and enclosure size/design make a HUGE difference. So you can't really compare specs like driver size and wattage with subwoofers that way. You still might be disappointed with the F12.
steve nn likes this.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Wattage is the not the only factor that affects maximum output. Driver sensitivity and enclosure size/design make a HUGE difference. So you can't really compare specs like driver size and wattage with subwoofers that way. You still might be disappointed with the F12.
^^^+1

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

I spose. The Sony is doing ok holding it's own and it's not like I am getting terrible sounding kick from it. I just stumbled upon a few subs while surfing Amazon, and that's what really started all this. Maybe I just need to ride it out longer till I can take out a second mortgage and get an expensive one. But I guess now I know. Neve know unless you try.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:

I spose. The Sony is doing ok holding it's own and it's not like I am getting terrible sounding kick from it. I just stumbled upon a few subs while surfing Amazon, and that's what really started all this. Maybe I just need to ride it out longer till I can take out a second mortgage and get an expensive one. But I guess now I know. Neve know unless you try.

If you want a decent sub for under 200.00 look at the jbl es250..solid budget performer.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page