Armageddon- Subwoofer GTG Aug 24th 2013, Burnsville MN - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 87
th_VID_20130824_154220_186_zps16b33636.jpg
Inside the Gjallarhorn, Yes I had earplugs in for this. The video does no justice to how insane this was.
stormwind13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 807
That qualifies as "LONG THROW."

Geeze!
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #33 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,596
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Knowing exactly what 2 Orbit Shifters can do, I can't imagine what Luke's quad subs would do to a home or the human body for that matter.

I'd pass on hearing them unprotected in an enclosed space, but it would be fun outdoors with Jeff's speakers (room to move away or hide tongue.gif).

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #34 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I ran without earplugs for most of the day. It was quite the experience.
stormwind13 is offline  
post #35 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I just posted some thoughts on each sub in the other thread. Should we try and keep all our comments in that once since it's the "official GTG" thread?
lukeamdman is offline  
post #36 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

I just posted some thoughts on each sub in the other thread. Should we try and keep all our comments in that once since it's the "official GTG" thread?

What other thread and what forum. This is the only thread I can find with reference to the shootout.
derrickdj1 is offline  
post #37 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 767
lukeamdman is offline  
post #38 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Thanks!
derrickdj1 is offline  
post #39 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Where are measurements???

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

Main System: PSB X2T, PSB XC, PSB XB, Cambridge Audio Azur 751R, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S500
braveheart123 is offline  
post #40 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,197
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 1951
They didn't get SPL measurements because theyd didn't have any mics functioning that could measure that high. Stormwind told me he thought they were tickling 140dB range at times based on some of his past experiences with competition car audio.

I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Archaea is offline  
post #41 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
pennynike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am sure that the Ghorn/Othorn combo was at least in mid 130 db range, if not in the low 140's. The sheer SPL from both of the scenes in Oz was AAAAMazing! I wouldn't be surprised if the OS and Ghorn/Othorn combo both were producing above 130 db's in Pulse, the Percy Jackson Hydra scene, and the Uber Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening.
pennynike1 is offline  
post #42 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,596
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

I am sure that the Ghorn/Othorn combo was at least in mid 130 db range, if not in the low 140's. The sheer SPL from both of the scenes in Oz was AAAAMazing! I wouldn't be surprised if the OS and Ghorn/Othorn combo both were producing above 130 db's in Pulse, the Percy Jackson Hydra scene, and the Uber Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening.

Hey Enduro Bass,

This pertains to you:

43 - 73 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - lack of visual acuity, IQ scores fall to 77% of normal, distortion of spatial orientation, poor muscular coordination, loss of equilibrium, slurred speech, and blackout.

1 - 10 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - "Lethal infrasonic pitch lies in the 7 cycle range. Small amplitude increases affect human behavior in this range. Intellectual activity is first inhibited, blocked, and then destroyed. As the amplitude is increased, several disconcerting responses have been noted. These responses begin a complete neurological interference. The action of the medulla is physiologically blocked, its autonomic functions cease." (source; the Sonic Weapon of Vladimir Gavreau, by Gerry Vassilatos)


50 - 100 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - at 150 dB and higher, "intolerable sensations in the chest and thoracic region can be produced - even with the ears protected. Other physiological changes that can occur include chest all vibration and some respiratory rhythm changes in human subjects, together with hypopharyngeal fullness (gagging). The frequency range between 50 and 100 Hz also produces mild nausea and giddiness at levels of 150 - 155 dB, at which point subjective tolerance is reached. At 150 to 155 dB (0.63 to 1.1 kPA), respiration-related effects include substernal discomfort, coughing, severe substernal pressure, choking respiration, and hypopharyngeal discomfort." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

7 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - The most profound effects at this infrasonic level occur here. Seven Hz "corresponds with the median alpha-rhythm frequencies of the brain. It is also commonly alleged that this is the resonant frequency of the body's organs and hence organ rupture and death can occur at high-intensity exposures." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #43 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Hey Enduro Bass,

This pertains to you:

43 - 73 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - lack of visual acuity, IQ scores fall to 77% of normal, distortion of spatial orientation, poor muscular coordination, loss of equilibrium, slurred speech, and blackout.

1 - 10 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - "Lethal infrasonic pitch lies in the 7 cycle range. Small amplitude increases affect human behavior in this range. Intellectual activity is first inhibited, blocked, and then destroyed. As the amplitude is increased, several disconcerting responses have been noted. These responses begin a complete neurological interference. The action of the medulla is physiologically blocked, its autonomic functions cease." (source; the Sonic Weapon of Vladimir Gavreau, by Gerry Vassilatos)


50 - 100 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - at 150 dB and higher, "intolerable sensations in the chest and thoracic region can be produced - even with the ears protected. Other physiological changes that can occur include chest all vibration and some respiratory rhythm changes in human subjects, together with hypopharyngeal fullness (gagging). The frequency range between 50 and 100 Hz also produces mild nausea and giddiness at levels of 150 - 155 dB, at which point subjective tolerance is reached. At 150 to 155 dB (0.63 to 1.1 kPA), respiration-related effects include substernal discomfort, coughing, severe substernal pressure, choking respiration, and hypopharyngeal discomfort." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

7 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - The most profound effects at this infrasonic level occur here. Seven Hz "corresponds with the median alpha-rhythm frequencies of the brain. It is also commonly alleged that this is the resonant frequency of the body's organs and hence organ rupture and death can occur at high-intensity exposures." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

When we had all four horns going, I started to get an irritating cough, and it just seemed hard to clear my throat the whole time.

Later when we had some late arrivals, one of them also starting coughing and had a strange sensation in his chet/throat…

Dustin, do you remember who that was? Was that Jeremiah’s dad?
lukeamdman is offline  
post #44 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
its phillip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Hey Enduro Bass,

This pertains to you:

43 - 73 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - lack of visual acuity, IQ scores fall to 77% of normal, distortion of spatial orientation, poor muscular coordination, loss of equilibrium, slurred speech, and blackout.

1 - 10 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - "Lethal infrasonic pitch lies in the 7 cycle range. Small amplitude increases affect human behavior in this range. Intellectual activity is first inhibited, blocked, and then destroyed. As the amplitude is increased, several disconcerting responses have been noted. These responses begin a complete neurological interference. The action of the medulla is physiologically blocked, its autonomic functions cease." (source; the Sonic Weapon of Vladimir Gavreau, by Gerry Vassilatos)


50 - 100 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - at 150 dB and higher, "intolerable sensations in the chest and thoracic region can be produced - even with the ears protected. Other physiological changes that can occur include chest all vibration and some respiratory rhythm changes in human subjects, together with hypopharyngeal fullness (gagging). The frequency range between 50 and 100 Hz also produces mild nausea and giddiness at levels of 150 - 155 dB, at which point subjective tolerance is reached. At 150 to 155 dB (0.63 to 1.1 kPA), respiration-related effects include substernal discomfort, coughing, severe substernal pressure, choking respiration, and hypopharyngeal discomfort." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

7 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - The most profound effects at this infrasonic level occur here. Seven Hz "corresponds with the median alpha-rhythm frequencies of the brain. It is also commonly alleged that this is the resonant frequency of the body's organs and hence organ rupture and death can occur at high-intensity exposures." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

don't let ***itor55 see this post D:

edit: ok, I'll edit it in case he's out there searching for his username

its phillip is offline  
post #45 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,436
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Why bring up the name, now he will find this thread and crap on it.

That paper is just a theory, not fact.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 8 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Peavy IPR 7500
Rear subs 4 SI 18HT ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000.
MKtheater is offline  
post #46 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,596
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Why bring up the name, now he will find this thread and crap on it.

That paper is just a theory, not fact.

OH NO! Who dared to speak his name that must never be spoken! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Yes MK, opinions are not facts. smile.gif

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #47 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,436
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Many people won't know the history of the last few posts and since I am an AVS addict I read them before. This thread is all about fun and although I see mastermaybe's point it is off topic. Many people have more than needed becuse it is required for the low stuff to be played cleanly at reference which is above 115 dBs with bass management. These horns can handle reference all day within their loading. The F-20 needs two. Of course unless the room is massive.

Carry on!

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 8 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Peavy IPR 7500
Rear subs 4 SI 18HT ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000.
MKtheater is offline  
post #48 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,596
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

When we had all four horns going, I started to get an irritating cough, and it just seemed hard to clear my throat the whole time.

Later when we had some late arrivals, one of them also starting coughing and had a strange sensation in his chet/throat…

Dustin, do you remember who that was? Was that Jeremiah’s dad?

I was kind of kidding with my post Luke but it seems I touched a nerve for some. Kind of ironic as having sat through one of my "demos" you know what I like ... biggrin.gif

It would be interesting if the LFE had caused the cough. We are pushing the envelope here and there isn't a lot of base line data to go off. In any case, it sounds as though your horns are the real deal.
Nice job.cool.gif

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
post #49 of 50 Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I was kind of kidding with my post Luke but it seems I touched a nerve for some. Kind of ironic as having sat through one of my "demos" you know what I like ... biggrin.gif

It would be interesting if the LFE had caused the cough. We are pushing the envelope here and there isn't a lot of base line data to go off. In any case, it sounds as though your horns are the real deal.
Nice job.cool.gif

Yeah, I'm well aware of your preference for volume. You're crazy.

I thought the cough was just me at first, since no one else seemed to be bothered. But then later on the same thing happened to someone else, and I kinda raised an eyebrow. Oh well, no way to know.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #50 of 50 Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,596
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

Yeah, I'm well aware of your preference for volume. You're crazy.

I thought the cough was just me at first, since no one else seemed to be bothered. But then later on the same thing happened to someone else, and I kinda raised an eyebrow. Oh well, no way to know.

I'm crazy?

Coughs ... wink.gif

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

taboola here
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off