Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
th_VID_20130824_154220_186_zps16b33636.jpg
Inside the Gjallarhorn, Yes I had earplugs in for this. The video does no justice to how insane this was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
That qualifies as "LONG THROW."

Geeze!
post #33 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Knowing exactly what 2 Orbit Shifters can do, I can't imagine what Luke's quad subs would do to a home or the human body for that matter.

I'd pass on hearing them unprotected in an enclosed space, but it would be fun outdoors with Jeff's speakers (room to move away or hide tongue.gif).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #34 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I ran without earplugs for most of the day. It was quite the experience.
post #35 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I just posted some thoughts on each sub in the other thread. Should we try and keep all our comments in that once since it's the "official GTG" thread?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

I just posted some thoughts on each sub in the other thread. Should we try and keep all our comments in that once since it's the "official GTG" thread?

What other thread and what forum. This is the only thread I can find with reference to the shootout.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #37 of 50 Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

What other thread and what forum. This is the only thread I can find with reference to the shootout.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475190/upper-midwest-gtg-summer-2013-mn-ia-ne-nd-sd-wi-il-mo

post #38 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Thanks!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #39 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Where are measurements???

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #40 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 665
They didn't get SPL measurements because theyd didn't have any mics functioning that could measure that high. Stormwind told me he thought they were tickling 140dB range at times based on some of his past experiences with competition car audio.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #41 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am sure that the Ghorn/Othorn combo was at least in mid 130 db range, if not in the low 140's. The sheer SPL from both of the scenes in Oz was AAAAMazing! I wouldn't be surprised if the OS and Ghorn/Othorn combo both were producing above 130 db's in Pulse, the Percy Jackson Hydra scene, and the Uber Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening.
post #42 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

I am sure that the Ghorn/Othorn combo was at least in mid 130 db range, if not in the low 140's. The sheer SPL from both of the scenes in Oz was AAAAMazing! I wouldn't be surprised if the OS and Ghorn/Othorn combo both were producing above 130 db's in Pulse, the Percy Jackson Hydra scene, and the Uber Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening.

Hey Enduro Bass,

This pertains to you:

43 - 73 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - lack of visual acuity, IQ scores fall to 77% of normal, distortion of spatial orientation, poor muscular coordination, loss of equilibrium, slurred speech, and blackout.

1 - 10 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - "Lethal infrasonic pitch lies in the 7 cycle range. Small amplitude increases affect human behavior in this range. Intellectual activity is first inhibited, blocked, and then destroyed. As the amplitude is increased, several disconcerting responses have been noted. These responses begin a complete neurological interference. The action of the medulla is physiologically blocked, its autonomic functions cease." (source; the Sonic Weapon of Vladimir Gavreau, by Gerry Vassilatos)

50 - 100 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - at 150 dB and higher, "intolerable sensations in the chest and thoracic region can be produced - even with the ears protected. Other physiological changes that can occur include chest all vibration and some respiratory rhythm changes in human subjects, together with hypopharyngeal fullness (gagging). The frequency range between 50 and 100 Hz also produces mild nausea and giddiness at levels of 150 - 155 dB, at which point subjective tolerance is reached. At 150 to 155 dB (0.63 to 1.1 kPA), respiration-related effects include substernal discomfort, coughing, severe substernal pressure, choking respiration, and hypopharyngeal discomfort." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

7 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - The most profound effects at this infrasonic level occur here. Seven Hz "corresponds with the median alpha-rhythm frequencies of the brain. It is also commonly alleged that this is the resonant frequency of the body's organs and hence organ rupture and death can occur at high-intensity exposures." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

post #43 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Hey Enduro Bass,

This pertains to you:

43 - 73 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - lack of visual acuity, IQ scores fall to 77% of normal, distortion of spatial orientation, poor muscular coordination, loss of equilibrium, slurred speech, and blackout.

1 - 10 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - "Lethal infrasonic pitch lies in the 7 cycle range. Small amplitude increases affect human behavior in this range. Intellectual activity is first inhibited, blocked, and then destroyed. As the amplitude is increased, several disconcerting responses have been noted. These responses begin a complete neurological interference. The action of the medulla is physiologically blocked, its autonomic functions cease." (source; the Sonic Weapon of Vladimir Gavreau, by Gerry Vassilatos)

50 - 100 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - at 150 dB and higher, "intolerable sensations in the chest and thoracic region can be produced - even with the ears protected. Other physiological changes that can occur include chest all vibration and some respiratory rhythm changes in human subjects, together with hypopharyngeal fullness (gagging). The frequency range between 50 and 100 Hz also produces mild nausea and giddiness at levels of 150 - 155 dB, at which point subjective tolerance is reached. At 150 to 155 dB (0.63 to 1.1 kPA), respiration-related effects include substernal discomfort, coughing, severe substernal pressure, choking respiration, and hypopharyngeal discomfort." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

7 Cycles Per Second (Hz) - The most profound effects at this infrasonic level occur here. Seven Hz "corresponds with the median alpha-rhythm frequencies of the brain. It is also commonly alleged that this is the resonant frequency of the body's organs and hence organ rupture and death can occur at high-intensity exposures." (source; 'Acoustic Trauma: Bioeffects of Sound,' by Alex Davies)

When we had all four horns going, I started to get an irritating cough, and it just seemed hard to clear my throat the whole time.

Later when we had some late arrivals, one of them also starting coughing and had a strange sensation in his chet/throat…

Dustin, do you remember who that was? Was that Jeremiah’s dad?

post #44 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Hey Enduro Bass,

This pertains to you:

don't let ***itor55 see this post D:

edit: ok, I'll edit it in case he's out there searching for his username

post #45 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Why bring up the name, now he will find this thread and crap on it.

That paper is just a theory, not fact.
post #46 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Why bring up the name, now he will find this thread and crap on it.

That paper is just a theory, not fact.

OH NO! Who dared to speak his name that must never be spoken! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Yes MK, opinions are not facts. smile.gif

post #47 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Many people won't know the history of the last few posts and since I am an AVS addict I read them before. This thread is all about fun and although I see mastermaybe's point it is off topic. Many people have more than needed becuse it is required for the low stuff to be played cleanly at reference which is above 115 dBs with bass management. These horns can handle reference all day within their loading. The F-20 needs two. Of course unless the room is massive.

Carry on!
post #48 of 50 Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

When we had all four horns going, I started to get an irritating cough, and it just seemed hard to clear my throat the whole time.

Later when we had some late arrivals, one of them also starting coughing and had a strange sensation in his chet/throat…

Dustin, do you remember who that was? Was that Jeremiah’s dad?

I was kind of kidding with my post Luke but it seems I touched a nerve for some. Kind of ironic as having sat through one of my "demos" you know what I like ... biggrin.gif

It would be interesting if the LFE had caused the cough. We are pushing the envelope here and there isn't a lot of base line data to go off. In any case, it sounds as though your horns are the real deal.
Nice job.cool.gif

post #49 of 50 Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was kind of kidding with my post Luke but it seems I touched a nerve for some. Kind of ironic as having sat through one of my "demos" you know what I like ... biggrin.gif

It would be interesting if the LFE had caused the cough. We are pushing the envelope here and there isn't a lot of base line data to go off. In any case, it sounds as though your horns are the real deal.
Nice job.cool.gif

Yeah, I'm well aware of your preference for volume. You're crazy.

I thought the cough was just me at first, since no one else seemed to be bothered. But then later on the same thing happened to someone else, and I kinda raised an eyebrow. Oh well, no way to know.

post #50 of 50 Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'm well aware of your preference for volume. You're crazy.

I thought the cough was just me at first, since no one else seemed to be bothered. But then later on the same thing happened to someone else, and I kinda raised an eyebrow. Oh well, no way to know.

I'm crazy?

Coughs ... wink.gif

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page