Armageddon- Subwoofer GTG Aug 24th 2013, Burnsville MN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hey guys, just a last second thread here to see if anyone else is interested in attending this subwoofer GTG.

Hosted at Lukeamdman's house in Burnsville MN

Here are the subs that will be there-
JTR Orbit Shifter LFU x 2
JTR captivator 2011 model x2
Diy Gjallarhorn x2
Diy Othorn x2
Diy Lilmike Cinema f20 x2

Amps-
Sunfire TGA 7400
2x Sanway Fp14000 x2
Crown Xls-1500

Speakers-
Diy SEOS 12 x2
JTR Noesis triple 12 x3



http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475190/upper-midwest-gtg-summer-2013-mn-ia-ne-nd-sd-wi-il-mo/60#post_23657540


If you want to throw your hat into the attendance ring let me know via PM or in this thread. We will be running from about 10am till 7pm- I would STRONGLY suggest bringing earplugs as we will be going very high in spl.
its phillip likes this.
stormwind13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I wish I can attend.. I'd like to hear what dual OS LFU can do. Im in the market for another dual setup and those are on my list..
rhed is online now  
post #3 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well then attend!
stormwind13 is offline  
post #4 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
its phillip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: fort worth, tx
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If it was in north texas I'd be there. Looking forward to reading about it, though biggrin.gif

its phillip is offline  
post #5 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cowboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^ same here. I bet it will be fun but don't get deaf from it.
Cowboys is offline  
post #6 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,524
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I hope luke's house is made out of steel reinforced concrete. If it were my house I would seriously be worried. Nonetheless, that is going to be an awesome gathering of firepower. You are going to need a seismometer for that gtg, not an SPL meter.
shadyJ is online now  
post #7 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Sounds like my kind of event. Certainly all my flavors on deck. I wish I could could get away.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #8 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

Well then attend!

I like too really bro.. But flights to Burnsville MN from Honolulu HI will cut me short from making my sub purchase.. Lol!
rhed is online now  
post #9 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

I like too really bro.. But flights to Burnsville MN from Honolulu HI will cut me short from making my sub purchase.. Lol!

LOL
lukeamdman is offline  
post #10 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,874
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
That's a spectacular lineup you have there, and I'm envious of those who are attending.

Note to Luke - the warning about your house is legit. tongue.gif You might already know this, but -- cool.gif

At the 2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout we trashed:
A) My Epson 8350 Projector (color grid was knocked out of alignment - the left and right edges of the projector were off color - I sent it back under warranty)
B) My Theater room's PC bluray drive (failed during meet - would not play nor record blurays post meet, replaced under warranty)
C) My Xbox HD-DVD drive (would not work post meet - not replaced)
D) My drywall (loosened and rattles/buzzes post meet at much much less volume - not replaced)
E) My upstairs kitchen tile grout (cracked pretty much everywhere --- that's the one that irked the wife - not fixed yet) eek.gif
Some of the guys went upstairs during the demo and said the wooden floor directly above the theater room was heaving up and down like waves. I believe it after seeing all the cracked grout in the kitchen.

It was worth it to experience the insanity of the dual Orbit Shifters at full bore (we measured 135~dB peaks with the omnimic in the back of the room at about 17 feet away from the subs). The front of my room at the listening position typically measures about 7dB hotter. These types of subs can and will damage your home at full tilt. The Gjallerhorn should also be able to tear some mess up. tongue.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012#post_21495136


It was truly like listening to car audio levels of bass in a 3500 cubic foot home theater room. Absolutely obscene. It was not just your pant leg shaking it was your clothes vibrating - it was your skin and hair tingling. After the short max volume demo my skin felt agitated/excited - almost like all my skin had fallen asleep, or been exposed to high winds or something. Those in the front of the room said the Orbit Shifters were nearly controlling their breathing. It was Awesome!


If you don't break something at this meet with this lineup - you've done it wrong tongue.gif




http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012/90#post_21501576

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #11 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,524
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Yeah, I already can't max out the volume on my system, because the ceiling shakes too much, and I worry about the plumbing. And my system is nothing like what you will be playing. I would love to go, but the round trip from Chicago is just too brutal, that's about 14 hrs of driving for me for a round trip. I wish the windy city would have a get together like this!
shadyJ is online now  
post #12 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Would putting say Rythmik F15 in a 10 x 10 x 8 ft room provide the same effect ?
qguy is offline  
post #13 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,524
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Nope. An F15 in a small room should get you some healthy bass, but you aren't going to be hitting 120 dB let alone 130.
shadyJ is online now  
post #14 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just as long as it's not my projector that breaks, we are good to go!
stormwind13 is offline  
post #15 of 50 Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Yeah, I already can't max out the volume on my system, because the ceiling shakes too much, and I worry about the plumbing. And my system is nothing like what you will be playing. I would love to go, but the round trip from Chicago is just too brutal, that's about 14 hrs of driving for me for a round trip. I wish the windy city would have a get together like this!

You should talk to Jeff P, I think him and pennynike are carpooling from Milwaukee/Oconomowoc which is like 2 hrs from chicago.
stormwind13 is offline  
post #16 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

That's a spectacular lineup you have there, and I'm envious of those who are attending.

Note to Luke - the warning about your house is legit. tongue.gif You might already know this, but -- cool.gif

At the 2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout we trashed:
A) My Epson 8350 Projector (color grid was knocked out of alignment - the left and right edges of the projector were off color - I sent it back under warranty)
B) My Theater room's PC bluray drive (failed during meet - would not play nor record blurays post meet, replaced under warranty)
C) My Xbox HD-DVD drive (would not work post meet - not replaced)
D) My drywall (loosened and rattles/buzzes post meet at much much less volume - not replaced)
E) My upstairs kitchen tile grout (cracked pretty much everywhere --- that's the one that irked the wife - not fixed yet) eek.gif
Some of the guys went upstairs during the demo and said the wooden floor directly above the theater room was heaving up and down like waves. I believe it after seeing all the cracked grout in the kitchen.

It was worth it to experience the insanity of the dual Orbit Shifters at full bore (we measured 135~dB peaks with the omnimic in the back of the room at about 17 feet away from the subs). The front of my room at the listening position typically measures about 7dB hotter. These types of subs can and will damage your home at full tilt. The Gjallerhorn should also be able to tear some mess up. tongue.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012#post_21495136


It was truly like listening to car audio levels of bass in a 3500 cubic foot home theater room. Absolutely obscene. It was not just your pant leg shaking it was your clothes vibrating - it was your skin and hair tingling. After the short max volume demo my skin felt agitated/excited - almost like all my skin had fallen asleep, or been exposed to high winds or something. Those in the front of the room said the Orbit Shifters were nearly controlling their breathing. It was Awesome!


If you don't break something at this meet with this lineup - you've done it wrong tongue.gif




http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387178/archaeas-kansas-city-blind-subwoofer-shootout-2012/90#post_21501576

I was perfectly happy with my quad sealed LMS setup...until I paid a visit to RMK! and heard dual orbit shifters...

Those subs are what's responsible the last 6 months of me building dual Ghorns and dual Othorns, which over doubled the output of my system across the board, and did so with the same two amps.

I'm fairly confident both the OS setup and mine will max the SPL meter (calibrated EMM-6 and REW) by exceeding 135-139db.
lukeamdman is offline  
post #17 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,874
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
how's your power situation?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #18 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

how's your power situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

- Power requirements are not a problem. I have (2) 30 amp, (2) 20 amp, and (2) 15 amp dedicated circuits

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #19 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,874
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Thanks RMK! --- I don't see that in this thread - I guess he must have answered in the other and I didn't catch it there.

Power sounds sufficient...

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
post #20 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Awesome, I'll bring my Bose cube sub and we'll really get it rockin.






Kidding, please don't ban me. Wish I could attend, can't wait to hear how it goes.

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #21 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 117
lukeamdman is offline  
post #22 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My projector is getting scared, we are going to have to dampen that mount.
stormwind13 is offline  
post #23 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
braveheart123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lone Wolf McQuade from Islamabad Pakistan
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

20130823_133309_zpse347c627.jpg

Who needs ICBMs with those blazing at full tilt eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
braveheart123 is offline  
post #24 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

20130823_133309_zpse347c627.jpg

A weaponized basement ... now you don't see that every day ... eek.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #25 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Hyrlyfrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Those babies should blow the 1970's right out of that carpet!
nube and popalock like this.

When life gives you lemons, punch life in the nuts. -me-
Hyrlyfrm is offline  
post #26 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrlyfrm View Post

Those babies should blow the 1970's right out of that carpet!

+1 Too funny...........
doublewing11 is offline  
post #27 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrlyfrm View Post

Those babies should blow the 1970's right out of that carpet!

LOL, 1978! Carpet is older than i am!
lukeamdman is offline  
post #28 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stgdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MNsnowta in april :(
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
us minnesoootans have some serious firepower in our subs, guess its the long winters.


Should do more of a announcement next time as i could have dragged my quad mael-x's down.
stgdz is offline  
post #29 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Homeland security is seriously looking into this event.
qguy is offline  
post #30 of 50 Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
IMG_20130823_205817_661_zpscc17aa5f.jpg

First casualty of the gtg
stormwind13 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off