Dual LV12R VS Dual XV15 - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Dual LV12R VS Dual XV15
BB1111's Avatar BB1111 06:47 PM 08-25-2013
Has anyone had the chance to compare these two subwoofers?

Ive narrowed it down to these two after researching for months but can't make up my mind on which would be best. Some people are saying the XV15 has great output but not as clear as the servo Rhytmik, etc.

How would they compare in a 2700 cu. Ft room? Im looking for the usual, good depth, accurate bass and midbass punch. Mostly used for home theater, not much music at the moment.

My response with one sub is pretty good with a small null at 100hz. Should I stick with duals or go for one more expensive sub? I have about 4-5 positions I can place duals.

Thanks

basshead81's Avatar basshead81 07:42 PM 08-25-2013
Go duals and get the XV15's...The LV12 is a nice sub but its not going to give you the performance of the PSA sub. Now If your budget allows dual Rythmik FV15HP's are ultimate. You would be getting Captivator or Submersive sound quality and output with the benifit of a smoother response(comparing dual Rythmiks to a single Cap or Subm).
polizzio's Avatar polizzio 07:53 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Go duals and get the XV15's...The LV12 is a nice sub but its not going to give you the performance of the PSA sub. Now If your budget allows dual Rythmik FV15HP's are ultimate. You would be getting Captivator or Submersive sound quality and output with the benifit of a smoother response(comparing dual Rythmiks to a single Cap or Subm).

Have you ever owned or tested a LV12?
Coming from a guy who bought and owns 3 PSA subs.......pretty biased I'd say.

The OP needs a reply from somebody like Jim Wilson, somebody who's actually tested the subs the OP is inquiring about. Jim has written impressive comments about the LV12R.

One thing Rythmik servo subs are noted for is accurate bass reproduction. And Brian Ding's CS is outstanding. Read the FV15HP review below by an unbiased reviewer, using CEA2010 standards.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=51


Her's a link the Jim Wilson's review of the LV12R:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/67309-rythmik-lv12r-subwoofer-review.html
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 08:04 PM 08-25-2013
The XV15 almost certainly does have more output than the LV12, however there is more to performance than output alone. Brian needs to get one of his LV12s to Josh Ricci, I think it would acquit itself very well.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 08:06 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Have you ever owned or tested a LV12?
Coming from a guy who bought and owns 3 PSA subs.......pretty biased I'd say.

The OP needs a reply from somebody like Jim Wilson, somebody who's actually tested the subs the OP is inquiring about. Jim has written impressive comments about the LV12R.

One thing Rythmik servo subs are noted for is accurate bass reproduction. And Brian Ding's CS is outstanding. Read the FV15HP review below by an unbiased reviewer, using CEA2010 standards.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=51


Her's a link the Jim Wilson's review of the LV12R:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/67309-rythmik-lv12r-subwoofer-review.html

Jim hasn't tested a XV15, only the XS15. And it's not rocket science to figure out a XV15 will outperform a LV12R. The XV15 has a larger driver, larger enclosure and an amp with 40% more power, and a better warranty.

I'm sure Brian has good customer service but IMO PSA sets the standard for CS.

These two subs aren't even meant to compete against each other as there in totally different price brackets too.
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 08:14 PM 08-25-2013
I'd go with dual XV15 subs in this case. The LV12R is an excellent sub, but it's meant to be a budget sub under $600 (stamped basket, wood screws, thinner MDF, etc.). Dual XV15 subs vs dual PB12-NSD or dual VTF-3 would be fairer.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 08:28 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Have you ever owned or tested a LV12?
Coming from a guy who bought and owns 3 PSA subs.......pretty biased I'd say.

The OP needs a reply from somebody like Jim Wilson, somebody who's actually tested the subs the OP is inquiring about. Jim has written impressive comments about the LV12R.

One thing Rythmik servo subs are noted for is accurate bass reproduction. And Brian Ding's CS is outstanding. Read the FV15HP review below by an unbiased reviewer, using CEA2010 standards.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=51


Her's a link the Jim Wilson's review of the LV12R:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/67309-rythmik-lv12r-subwoofer-review.html

How am I biased?? I just posted to go with dual FV15HP's as they are ultimate or superior to both options. I am more than capable of making a recomendation based on the info thats available. I recomend Rythmik products and the LV12 all the time, but its no XV15 nor should it be expected to be.
Ozzie Isaac's Avatar Ozzie Isaac 09:08 PM 08-25-2013
I own neither, however, based on specs and other reviews I suspect a fairer comparison would be dual lv12r's vs. a single xv15 ..... At least as output is concerned.
DualMono's Avatar DualMono 10:58 PM 08-25-2013
Dual Rythmik FV15HPs may be the 'best' option, but I would 'settle' for a single Rythmik FV15HP, if necessary.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 11:34 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono View Post

Dual Rythmik FV15HPs may be the 'best' option, but I would 'settle' for a single Rythmik FV15HP, if necessary.

A single sub can not smooth room modes...Its very possible that dual lesser subs can end up sounding better than 1 greater sub depending on the room.
BB1111's Avatar BB1111 12:17 AM 08-26-2013
Wow, great responses already. Thank you.

I would love dual FV15HPs but they are out of my budget at the moment. I'm looking to spend around $1000-$1400 max and hopefully on two subwoofers. The room isn't massive so I feel I don't need to spend more than my budget to get some great bass.

Another model I was considering is the XS15. Seems like it would have similar output to the XV15 and should regain some of that more articulate bass due to it being sealed and a larger driver than the LV12r. I just wonder how big of a difference it would be due to the servo.

I do like the black oak finish on the Rythmik subwoofers, also the servo seems to lend itself better to my speaker setup which is a full 7.1 electrostatic system. Dual F15s would be awesome but with shipping they are nearly $2,000 which is a whooping $600 above the PSA package and almost a grand higher than the dual LV12R.

Has the F15 ever been on sale?

I've read both of Jim's reviews and it seems to just make things more difficult since they both received such praise. I do prefer the slightly smaller form factor of the XS15 over the XV15 though.

Decisions, decisions...
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 01:07 AM 08-26-2013
Sealed and driver size don't really have a bearing on articulation. If anything the XS15's larger cone works against it, because it doesn't have much of a motor behind it to control the cone assembly. I would guess the LV12 would have an edge in sound quality.
If you are willing to sacrifice the low end boost you get from ports in the interest of getting a smaller subwoofer, this might be a great option for you. It is using a very good driver backed with a decent amplifier. It should do very well for sound quality. You do have to assemble it, but that is very simple, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and an hour of assembly time. It's a piece of cake, just watch the video on the product page. You save a good amount of change on labor costs. If you want deep extension and big output without sacrificing much in the way of sound quality, I would look at a Hsu VTF3 mk4 dual drive.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 01:53 AM 08-26-2013
My choice would come in at dual XV15’s then dual NSD's and then the dual mk4/LVR option take your pick. I do like them all though.
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 05:28 AM 08-26-2013
At around the $750 mark per sub, here's how I would look at it:

If you want the most overall output and still have good sound quality, go with the XV15.
If you want the most linear response and still have a good overall output, go with the PB12-NSD.
If you want something with better sound quality than the XV15 and more output than the PB12-NSD, go with the VTF-3.

Rythmik subs have excellent sound quality, but you'd have to spend a little more in this case to match the subs mentioned above. An interesting note, I noticed inside a PB-1000 the other day that it appeared to have more than one set of wires going to the driver. That's not unusual with Rythmik subs because of the Servo, but not sure what SVS is up to.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 07:56 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post

Wow, great responses already. Thank you.

I would love dual FV15HPs but they are out of my budget at the moment. I'm looking to spend around $1000-$1400 max and hopefully on two subwoofers. The room isn't massive so I feel I don't need to spend more than my budget to get some great bass.

Another model I was considering is the XS15. Seems like it would have similar output to the XV15 and should regain some of that more articulate bass due to it being sealed and a larger driver than the LV12r. I just wonder how big of a difference it would be due to the servo.

I do like the black oak finish on the Rythmik subwoofers, also the servo seems to lend itself better to my speaker setup which is a full 7.1 electrostatic system. Dual F15s would be awesome but with shipping they are nearly $2,000 which is a whooping $600 above the PSA package and almost a grand higher than the dual LV12R.

Has the F15 ever been on sale?

I've read both of Jim's reviews and it seems to just make things more difficult since they both received such praise. I do prefer the slightly smaller form factor of the XS15 over the XV15 though.

Decisions, decisions...

The XV15 has a 4db advantage over the XS15 in the 15-31hz range. Also the XV15 has 6 different finish choices, the XS15 only has one.
DualMono's Avatar DualMono 10:49 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono View Post

Dual Rythmik FV15HPs may be the 'best' option, but I would 'settle' for a single Rythmik FV15HP, if necessary.

A single sub can not smooth room modes...Its very possible that dual lesser subs can end up sounding better than 1 greater sub depending on the room.

That may well be, but I personally would feel better with having one really good sub, to begin with.

I would start with a single Rythmik FV15HP and add another as needed or as the budget allows. The OP would end up with two great subs and probably not have to upgrade for years to come.The OP may find, he only needed only a single sub, to begin with.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 10:58 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono View Post

The OP may find, he only needed only a single sub, to begin with.

I find that highly unlikely.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 11:03 AM 08-26-2013
^^^ +1
Quote:
I have about 4-5 positions I can place duals.

DualMono's Avatar DualMono 05:12 PM 08-26-2013
You guys can opt for the lesser duals, I will opt for the 'better' single sub.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 05:22 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualMono View Post

You guys can opt for the lesser duals, I will opt for the 'better' single sub.

And I'll raise you and opt for three lesser subs.

(liars dice)

Would someone care to weigh in on what the ideal is, so I have a clue?

I know the answer revolves around "it depends on the room" and with that in mind I'm going with a coefficient of 1.2, 15" subwoofer/550 cu ft, including unmeasured out rooms that impact the final measurements.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 06:23 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

And I'll raise you and opt for three lesser subs.

(liars dice)

Would someone care to weigh in on what the ideal is, so I have a clue?

I know the answer revolves around "it depends on the room" and with that in mind I'm going with a coefficient of 1.2, 15" subwoofer/550 cu ft, including unmeasured out rooms that impact the final measurements.

There really is no right answer here. I have went both ways at different times in life as funny as that sounds. It depends on how much seating are you trying to cover and how well a single SW does in your room.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 03:51 PM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

There really is no right answer here. I have went both ways at different times in life as funny as that sounds. It depends on how much seating are you trying to cover and how well a single SW does in your room.

According to my generic formula, I need five, 15" drivers. I'd settle for six, but the WAF might limit me to three. Time will tell what kinda final answer I can finagle out of the "negotiations."

One thing I'm trying to do is separate hype from reality and the esoteric. Hanging on this forum, one loses contact with reality and one's needs become unrealistic. Even if I can float the final solution past the wife, I'm still clueless where the final number will fall. Maybe three drivers, maybe four, maybe five but I doubt six because I don't "NEED" six drivers worth of 15" boom.

I'm trying to listen to my own advice. Which would be to make an initial purchase and should it become the case, add additional subwoofers as measurements show the need for additional output. It sounds so restrictive when I point the light of day at myself.

(What the heck is wrong with him?)

(He took his own advice.) tongue.gif

-
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 04:38 PM 08-27-2013
Thank you for your most enlightening post mister Bee. One of these days your 401 is going to come in. cool.gif
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 05:42 PM 08-27-2013
...biggrin.gif
Up
Mobile  Desktop