Sub to extend low end of HT for a <1200 ft^3 room? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Sub to extend low end of HT for a <1200 ft^3 room?
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 08:31 PM 08-25-2013
Any suggestions for a subwoofer that can produce rich deep bass that can also be
felt in a small room? The speakers currently in a 7.0 configuration are all JBL
Studio 1's placed in a 12ft * 11ft * 9 ft room.
Equipment :
AVR : Onkyo TX-SR804
BR Player : LG 3D Bluray Player
The sub must be at a $250 up to a $350 budget and can produce that chest thumping
and massaging of the insides feel.
Thanks!

basshead81's Avatar basshead81 08:39 PM 08-25-2013
I think your best bet in this price range is this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-770
derrickdj1's Avatar derrickdj1 09:25 PM 08-25-2013
Get a Premiere Acoustic PA 150. This is a high output sub and a decent low end with room gain. Under $400 it is hard to beat and looks good.
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 11:15 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Get a Premiere Acoustic PA 150. This is a high output sub and a decent low end with room gain. Under $400 it is hard to beat and looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

The Premier Acoustic one is kind of a little bit off my budget and I had a Premier Sub before and it is quite boomy on my ears inside the room, but I'm considering it if it is on sale. The Dayton looks tempting, but I'm not sure if it may overpower the fronts or annoy the neighbors. As I forgot to mention if the subs can handle explosive bass without straining too much(a little bit is fine) or bottoming out and music as well.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 11:36 PM 08-25-2013
thats why there is a gain knob so you can turn it up and down to suit your needs. More headroom means better sound quality and dynamics.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 01:15 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:

That kit should do pretty good for upper bass, but I don't think it would do much in low bass. It is using a relatively low xmax (8 mm) and high Q driver (.5). Sadly, nothing in the OP's budget will gain him both deep bass and also chest thumping output. The best bet for real extension would be the Hsu STF2 maybe, and for kick drum chest thumping, maybe the parts express kit.
rnatalli's Avatar rnatalli 05:30 AM 08-26-2013
Save up till you can get a PB-1000.
JHAz's Avatar JHAz 11:08 AM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjosh View Post

Any suggestions for a subwoofer that can produce rich deep bass that can also be
Equipment :
The sub must be at a $250 up to a $350 budget and can produce that chest thumping
Thanks!

that chest thump thing is really in the 50 or 60 Hz range, FWIW . . .
braveheart123's Avatar braveheart123 12:15 PM 08-26-2013
More like 35-50Hz
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 09:05 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

that chest thump thing is really in the 50 or 60 Hz range, FWIW . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

More like 35-50Hz

Would it require a high SPL though? To feel it?
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 09:13 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

Equipment :
Thanks!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

As much as I would like a full 7.1 surround setup, I gave up the surround side speakers just to experience great LFE(esp. Pacific Rim), therefore giving me a budget of $1000. Is there a subwoofer that would now give clean, deep bass along with those kick drum chest thumping sensation along with the "eerie" insides massage without clearly upsetting the neighbors in a small room? Or should I go dual sub? Thanks!
lespurgeon's Avatar lespurgeon 09:20 PM 08-26-2013
you will upset the neighbors (assuming attached housing). The room isn't that huge, I would go for quality and figure you could always add a second one later.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 09:22 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:

As much as I would like a full 7.1 surround setup, I gave up the surround side speakers just to experience great LFE(esp. Pacific Rim), therefore giving me a budget of $1000. Is there a subwoofer that would now give clean, deep bass along with those kick drum chest thumping sensation along with the "eerie" insides massage without clearly upsetting the neighbors in a small room? Or should I go dual sub? Thanks!

Good choice...a solid 5.2 setup is a great start to a HT build. That being said With a 1000.00 budget I would go Dual Rythmik LV12's for 1070.00 shipped.
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 09:50 PM 08-26-2013
Yeah, the neighbors will hear any bass that is driven loud, no matter what subwoofer it is coming from. That being the case, I would go for quality over quantity, and I would try to have the sub placed right next to the listening position if you can. This is called near-field placement. The advantage of this is the sub does not need to be driven as hard for you to experience the same loudness level that it would take to be played anywhere else. This means its less likely to bother the neighbors.

At $1k, look at the Dayton Audio dual 12" kit. Two good drivers and a beefy amplifier in an opposing faced cabinet. The cabinet is very inert, and the drivers cancel out each other's vibrations, so all you hear is pure driver generated bass. That would pretty hit hard and stay clean. It's a kit, but assembly is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. I also like Basshead's idea of dual Rythmik LV12s, if you could get a pair of those flanking your seat, that would be a pretty great bass system as well. The Hsu VTF3 is perfect for a near-field end table subwoofer due to the side-firing driver, but you would have to pay both shipping and tax on the Hsu since you live so far from Anaheim which makes it a very costly sub for you.
braveheart123's Avatar braveheart123 10:35 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Would it require a high SPL though? To feel it?

High spl is relative term and means nothing. A subwoofer, as you would know, doesn't work alone. It has to work alongside your other speakers in perfect unison. If your speakers are doing 105dB and sub is doing 100dB simultaneously e.g during an explosion in a movie; you will feel your sub is quiet and void of any bass. Now that is irrespective of the frequency. Your mains can overpower even the likes of JTR OS if the gain and sub trim level are not properly set.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 10:55 PM 08-26-2013
With keeping things as close to a $1000 that you can and have good bass, there is no reason not to go the dual LVR route imo. One would do the job fairly well, but you’re in a smallish square room basically.. so I highly suspect two could be put to very good use.
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 12:00 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

With keeping things as close to a $1000 that you can and have good bass, there is no reason not to go the dual LVR route imo. One would do the job fairly well, but you’re in a smallish square room basically.. so I highly suspect two could be put to very good use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Yeah, the neighbors will hear any bass that is driven loud, no matter what subwoofer it is coming from. That being the case, I would go for quality over quantity, and I would try to have the sub placed right next to the listening position if you can. This is called near-field placement. The advantage of this is the sub does not need to be driven as hard for you to experience the same loudness level that it would take to be played anywhere else. This means its less likely to bother the neighbors.
Quote:

Good choice...a solid 5.2 setup is a great start to a HT build. That being said With a 1000.00 budget I would go Dual Rythmik LV12's for 1070.00 shipped.

At $1k, look at the Dayton Audio dual 12" kit. Two good drivers and a beefy amplifier in an opposing faced cabinet. The cabinet is very inert, and the drivers cancel out each other's vibrations, so all you hear is pure driver generated bass. That would pretty hit hard and stay clean. It's a kit, but assembly is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and maybe an hour of assembly time. I also like Basshead's idea of dual Rythmik LV12s, if you could get a pair of those flanking your seat, that would be a pretty great bass system as well. The Hsu VTF3 is perfect for a near-field end table subwoofer due to the side-firing driver, but you would have to pay both shipping and tax on the Hsu since you live so far from Anaheim which makes it a very costly sub for you.

Regarding the Hsu, I was given a pair of unused VTF-2's by my friend also into home theaters who thought 6 is maybe too much for a medium-large theater in his house. How would this sub do in a small room as I've also head these subs can have their holes blocked to either perform as a sealed or ported sub.? Although I'm still considering the dual Rythmik LV12's plus an additional pair or the DIY Dual Driver Dayton as a third sub in probably the near future placed in near field configuration as shadyJ suggested to minimize neighborly problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

you will upset the neighbors (assuming attached housing). The room isn't that huge, I would go for quality and figure you could always add a second one later.

The HT is on the second floor of a town house built in the 1990's. Oddly enough, playing loud does not seem to bother my neighbors yet(while subwooferless)
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 12:31 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:

Regarding the Hsu, I was given a pair of unused VTF-2's by my friend also into home theaters who thought 6 is maybe too much for a medium-large theater in his house. How would this sub do in a small room as I've also head these subs can have their holes blocked to either perform as a sealed or ported sub.? Although I'm still considering the dual Rythmik LV12's plus an additional pair or the DIY Dual Driver Dayton as a third sub in probably the near future placed in near field configuration as shadyJ suggested to minimize neighborly problems.

The HT is on the second floor of a town house built in the 1990's. Oddly enough, playing loud does not seem to bother my neighbors yet(while subwooferless)

What version of the VTF2's did you get? MK3s and MK4s will be about on the level of the LV12. They would kill in a small room, they will certainly have more output capability than your neighbors would tolerate. If you have really been given a pair of late model VTF2s for free (wow you are lucky), your sub problem just got solved. You can seal the ports, that might help your neighbors a little bit, but it won't be a huge help.
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 08:19 AM 08-28-2013
The VTF-2's are Mk4. Should I also adjust the Q control when I plug the ports?
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 08:52 AM 08-28-2013
Did not realize fully what this subs are capable of, I plug them both in to 1 Sub Preout and volume at 50% and then played War of the Worlds. Cracked plasters downstairs, house shaking with some weird refractions on the bedroom and tons of rattling cookware during the emerging pods scene. Would at least one suffice? Although I did feel and hear the cleanest, deepest bass I heard and way better than being subwooferless
shadyJ's Avatar shadyJ 01:55 PM 08-28-2013
Wow, mk4s, very nice! It will take some time to dial the subs in, you have to try different things and see what sounds best. You can try just one and see if it will do the trick. Two is more fun though! You can set the Q to whatever sound best. A .7 setting will give you the deepest bass, but .3 may sound tighter. try it both ways to see what sounds best to you. Also, give the subs a try in two port mode, and see if you like that sound as well.
basshead81's Avatar basshead81 03:35 PM 08-28-2013
Quote:

The VTF-2's are Mk4. Should I also adjust the Q control when I plug the ports?

Now thats a great gift! Enjoy some quality bass...HSU makes great subs!!
cjosh's Avatar cjosh 08:49 PM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Wow, mk4s, very nice! It will take some time to dial the subs in, you have to try different things and see what sounds best. You can try just one and see if it will do the trick. Two is more fun though! You can set the Q to whatever sound best. A .7 setting will give you the deepest bass, but .3 may sound tighter. try it both ways to see what sounds best to you. Also, give the subs a try in two port mode, and see if you like that sound as well.
Quote:

Now thats a great gift! Enjoy some quality bass...HSU makes great subs!!

As much I try to literally pick my jaw up from the floor due to the damage smile.gif, this is definitely what I was looking for. The over pressurizing of the room is kind of new to me so I also felt kind of nervous it is gonna blow out the door from the hinges. The subs sounds better with 1 port open with Q at .4. According to Visual RTA and REW, the subs can go down to about 20 Hz I think, Never thought I'm going to get something special though. This is the first time I ever heard such quality bass from my own room, aside from my friend's theater in a 11.4 config. I'm never going subwooferless ever again, I just fell into a addiction with bass. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions! It is highly appreciated. With the $1000 budget unspent, I decided to save up and build an infinite baffle(maybe 20*18" at 20000W drivers?) in a truly dedicated home theater room, which draw inspiration from the dual driver shadyJ suggested and all the theater builds at AVS. Thanks a lot again everyone who suggested!
MemX's Avatar MemX 08:52 AM 08-30-2013
Sounds like you've had a good result smile.gif

Just have to be careful to only crank it right up when the neigbours are out!!
Up
Mobile  Desktop