Dilemma in selecting subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, took me quite some time to start a new thread after being advised by one of forum member, that you guys should be able to help me further in selecting subs.

Recently own a HT speakers.... and still very new to HT thing. started like 4 months ago. initially i thought i dont need one but i was wrong.

My room is about 3900 cubic ft. (i think so as i did conversions from mm based on my floor plan and ceiling height.)

The highlighted area is where i place my speakers, horizontally across the living room.

I like deep punchy bass, Marval movies like Incredible Hulk, Other like Black Hawk Down and Batman Begins to name a few... on its low frequency response bass.

Initially i am looking at DefTec Supercube 8000 but found that some members and other sites claims the Frq responds is not what it claims...it will not go that low.

Then i looked at Velodyne DD15+ which claims to go as low as 9Hz... dont know if what it claims too...

Then i came across Parts-express, which focus on lots of DIY, some frq responds shows 30Hz (lowest) dont know if its true... anyway it will be difficult to ship them to my place as im in singapore... afraid of D.O.A or hassle sending back for replacement.

so apart from the above 2 i am looking at, is there any other subs that you guys have heard before, that goes well with my designated floor area, and price not exceeding probably USD2.8k, cos i know it is gonna cost a lot way more if i were to buy in singapore as convert from USD2.8k

I am trying to read as much as i can without asking already but the information in AVS just seems so massive as if i could take my lifetime to finish them.

Help appreciated guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
I would start off with atleast dual subs in that room. With a budget of 2800.00 you have some options.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP's

Dual SVS PC-12 plus

Dual PSA XS-30's

Dual HSU VTF-15's

You might start by emailing these companies and see which one fits the bill.
post #3 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
At least 2 ported subs the way to start like basshead said. Rythmik FV15HP will be my top pick.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #4 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, can you post some actual pictures of the listening area showing different parts of that room?

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #5 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

wow! impressive for the assistance here...what all my country folks do here dont gave conclusive feedbacks. :P

anyway...hi braveheart123, i would very much like to post some pics but my place is still on construction, i do have the 3D designed pic to show. so far i have only one pic though i would like to show more for more accurate choice

Dual sub meaning to have 2 subs in my living room area? or a sub with 2 bass "cones" ?

hi basshead81, i personally have not read the specs or even heard the brands, at least 4 of them from your list but since you put Dual Rythmik FV15HP's as the first one means its serves an "impression" to you for it to come first to your mind. i shall read more and get back.

another thing, does the 4 subs your recommended above foots my bill of low tight bass (as low as 5~10Hz?) i am sceptical about data sheets...

a thank you guys in advance..will come back with questions again after i read up their details during the night.

*EDIT P.S say...you guys dont recommend DefTech or Velodyne subs???? what is the diff of having 2 subs and 1 sub? due to the fact im living in asia, some brands might not be available... frown.gif
post #6 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The way your HT area looks you ain't looking for any sub with a big foot print? Am I right or you don't mind A
sub? Any way the SVS SB-13 Ultra has a fair size foot print. They have a nice gloss black finish too. And if don't want duals (meaning 2 box) I would go with a Seaton Submersive HP. That would be my choice..
winwinc81 likes this.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

The way your HT area looks you ain't looking for any sub with a big foot print? Am I right or you don't mind A
sub? Any way the SVS SB-13 Ultra has a fair size foot print. They have a nice gloss black finish too. And if don't want duals (meaning 2 box) I would go with a Seaton Submersive HP. That would be my choice..

Big foot print meaning the size of sub? hmmm i really dont mind it a little bigger, cos prolly i'' just make space for them... main thing is i will be able to enjoy the punchy bass from my movies. Tks for your recommendation. i will look up on Seaton Submersive HP as well.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Folks have said it all already. I would go with dual FV15s myself.
winwinc81 likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

How about PB13-Ultra? will a single of that do the job? will place them next to where i sit i guess
post #10 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
If your budget isn't a concern go for the submersive over the pb13.
post #11 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Tks...i am trying to find where is the nearest distributor in singapore. frown.gif

i have found the nearest distributor for Rythmik FV15HP and SVS PB13-Ultra is at Malaysia... apparently submersive site is down or not ready... anyone know of this submersive price range?

Thank you all very much for the input
post #12 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwinc81 View Post

Tks...i am trying to find where is the nearest distributor in singapore. frown.gif

i have found the nearest distributor for Rythmik FV15HP and SVS PB13-Ultra is at Malaysia... apparently submersive site is down or not ready... anyone know of this submersive price range?

ok i found the forum and will ask if they ship internationally. Thank you very much!
post #13 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The Seaton site is not down. You must click on the forum section to see the pricing and the contact #'s and email..
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/Product-Listing-Availability-Status-and-Pricing-5999687

Quote:

post #14 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Got it boss! Have email mark Seaton to see if he is good to ship to singapore.
post #15 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

GREAT! They do ship to my place!

Thank you guys for all your inputs. i shall test out the rythmik..(found a distributor in SG) and if the price for getting submersive is cheaper than rythmik in sg, i will go for the submersive! biggrin.gif
post #16 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

I doubt it will be cheaper, but it will have a lot more output.
post #17 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

I doubt it will be cheaper, but it will have a lot more output.

ya...considering it is almost 1k more from my original budget... but if it's good then it should be worth getting it.

Lastly, should i go for the F2 or the HP then?

Thank you.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ya...considering it is almost 1k more from my original budget... but if it's good then it should be worth getting it.

Consider the Plus version if in case you go duals later. It'll be much cheaper. Dual F2s are nice for your HT IMO...

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/SubMersive-HP-amp-F2-masterslave-option-6453864

Thank you.
post #19 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Not much of an output difference between the two that I know of. One is dual opposed, one is dual front firing. It's all really in how you will place it. I prefer dual opposed myself.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks once again.
post #21 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:

Thank you.

Good choice going with a Seaton. smile.gif

Contact Seaton and ask them. Mark Seaton will be able to talk to you and tell you better which will suit your needs than anyone else.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #22 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Good choice going with a Seaton. smile.gif

Contact Seaton and ask them. Mark Seaton will be able to talk to you and tell you better which will suit your needs than anyone else.

tks for the support guys! you guys awesome! lucky i asked as advised by another forum member. else i would not have know there is a much better sub out there!
post #23 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I reckon you hold on with your sub purchase and let the HT lounge come to reality. You don't wana go with that HT rack. You might be stuck with your sub placement. Though your lounge looks amazing in CAD; things will be a lot different when it is fully built. Subwoofer is your biggest enemy in an HT setup. It must go in the room where it sounds best not where it looks best.
If I were you I wouldn't buy the sub this early. So, wait....haste makes waste. You can always buy later.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #24 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

I reckon you hold on with your sub purchase and let the HT lounge come to reality. You don't wana go with that HT rack. You might be stuck with your sub placement. Though your lounge looks amazing in CAD; things will be a lot different when it is fully built. Subwoofer is your biggest enemy in an HT setup. It must go in the room where it sounds best not where it looks best.
If I were you I wouldn't buy the sub this early. So, wait....haste makes waste. You can always buy later.

Great advise! you are correct. (tks for the compliment on that lounge. in singapore we call it living room. lounge sound so classy and im flattered!) but hey you got a really good point there! i shall get my interior designer to re create the HT rack, most prolly will do one that portable or extendable and see how things goes. definitely i am not considering to have the HT rack FIXED to the wall behind. good eyesight there on spotting that the "rack" is actually fixed to the wall behind.

however the thing is the special promo of submersive will end in nov.... my "lounge" will not be ready until 1st quarter next year... frown.gif

hopefully i will be able to recreate the whole area in CAD with the help of the actual dimension of the submersive HP...i dont think with that lounge size, F2 would most prolly out of the question.

Tks braveheart123 for your kind reminder!
post #25 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hopefully i will be able to recreate the whole area in CAD with the help of the actual dimension of the submersive HP

Again you are missing the larger picture. What if you get the rack done according to the dimensions of submersive and after you're done with everything, it doesn't sound good upfront in the rack?? Are you going to then break the rack or what? I would love to buy JTR OS; but it doesn't fit anywhere in my room. If I place it in the only place where it will sound best in my room; I will need a trampoline for entrance and exit to hop over the sub. The result; all the money flushed in the drain.

Hang on buddy wink.gif

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #26 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Also I see a slightly raised deck under your media rack along the entire width of your front wall. It is not deep enough to offer much clearance to the mains from the rear wall. I think you will be a victim to 1/4 wavelength reflection from the wall behind speakers. That dip won't go away unless you move your mains forward by 1/4th the wavelength of the chosen crossover frequency.

That raised deck would be a problem as it does not have enough depth to move the mains forward. Better not make it in the first place. I saw it actually happen to a friend's HT room and we are stuck; if we pull the mains forward, they would hang in the air.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #27 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so surprise you got such eye for detail just for sound enjoyment only! Gosh what else am I missing here? When you say mains does it means the front and center speakers? So you suggest to move the front and center speakers away from the back wall a bit? Also when you say 1/4th wavelength of chosen crossover frq, what does that actually mean? Please Pardon me for my ignorance. I also wish to achieve best sound. Also the raise deck, my wife loves then so less likely I will be doing away with them... Can I simply build the deck deeper away from the wall so that I can further move my mains forward?

Appreciate for your kind explaination
post #28 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

And yes I shall hold on to my sub purchase. I don't wanna save the hundred and regret later. Shall find a place first.
post #29 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

1/4 wavelength at 80Hz (crossover frequency) is roughly 3 feet. If your mains (Front Left / Front Right) are any closer than 3 feet from the wall behind them; you will have serious reflection from the wall. That will badly influence your frequency response. Changing the sub location won't fix it. So, your mains must be brought forward such that their distance from the rear wall is minimum 3 feet or more. What you can do is to make that deck deep enough to accommodate bringing the mains this much forward. This is only if you are using 80Hz frequency. For 70Hz it will be even more. For 90Hz it will be less. Lower the frequency; longer is the wavelength. Higher the frequency; smaller is the wavelength.

The best EQ is no EQ ...

post #30 of 33 Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

1/4 wavelength at 80Hz (crossover frequency) is roughly 3 feet. If your mains (Front Left / Front Right) are any closer than 3 feet from the wall behind them; you will have serious reflection from the wall. That will badly influence your frequency response. Changing the sub location won't fix it. So, your mains must be brought forward such that their distance from the rear wall is minimum 3 feet or more. What you can do is to make that deck deep enough to accommodate bringing the mains this much forward. This is only if you are using 80Hz frequency. For 70Hz it will be even more. For 90Hz it will be less. Lower the frequency; longer is the wavelength. Higher the frequency; smaller is the wavelength.

understood!

i am using the below as mains

Front Left/Right
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/fact_sheet/Floorstanding/r700/index.html

Center
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/fact_sheet/centre/r600c/index.html

so based on your recommendation, and both my mains and center (500hz cross over), 3ft to 4ft should considered ok right? i also dont wish to put too much front forward as there are kids around...i know im gonna have a bad time asking them not to touch...

as for the rear im using the below
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/hi-fi_series/r_series/fact_sheet/Bookshelf/r300/index.html

i believe the same rules applies?

Cant thank you enough for the teachings!!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page