Your Home Theater ULF Score - Page 103 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 213Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 3072 Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
If the new RA 18in ends up being similar to SI performance, that's going to be one heck of a value!

The Gamma 218 certainly looks very attractive at 1699, but I would think the box size would limit getting full performance of those (in the ULF range).


Regardless, looks like some exciting new entries that could rock the 'sub' ship a little bit!

If the Gamma 218 were double the size of the Gamma 18 we would get 6db increase across the board. However, since the box is smaller, we do get ULF increase but not that much. We get more like 3-4 db in that range. Above 38hz or so, we do begin to see that full increase. It's a potent sub in both high and lower octaves. Mid-bass headroom is unreal.

This is all related to headroom of course. We match the responses by tweaking the DSP a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I honestly do not see the need for a PS18x at this point...I mean most will either get the gamma18 for a single driver sub which is significantly less then the PS18x or step up to the big dog Gamma218. No different then PSA dropping the 3000 really.
Time will tell and you may be right. But for those wanting the most out of a smaller box, the PS-18 is still the king as far as total output in relation to box size. We still get plenty of interest in it. And the dual price is attractive.

Ideally, I would rather keep most of our single subs options out of the over 2k shipped range. I think that upper range is very well covered by JTR and Seaton. We like being at a "bang for the buck" sweet spot so to speak.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 3072 Old 03-26-2015, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 245
dominguez1 is online now  
post #3063 of 3072 Old 03-26-2015, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Here's my estimates for the new RA line. I think these are in the ballpark, but let me know of any tweaking necessary.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RA Echo-Gamma Subs.png
Views:	145
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	628153  
dominguez1 is online now  
post #3064 of 3072 Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgebsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
^^^Thanks Jeremy.

Congrats on the new subs...definitely look very promising!
Thank you!

I think you are pretty darn close - leaning towards the conservative side (We're mildly confident Ricci will clock the Echo 18 over 112 @ 20hz, 2m).

But conservative is good.
Frank D and JT78681 like this.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

edgebsl is online now  
post #3065 of 3072 Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 7,051
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 2050
Dang 112db @ 20hz is Insane....approaching reference level capability 2m rms is sick!!! Especially for 1399.00!

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
basshead81 is offline  
post #3066 of 3072 Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I downloaded several VM apps and think I found one that'll work. Not knowing the first thing about vibration meters I assume XYZ axis does the trick. This one seems sensitive enough. If this does work out then we will have a VM solution for iPhone users. No more guessing when it comes to tactile response, if it works out.

Last few days I've testing a few things out regarding tactile improvement. I forgot to mentioned that I have rubber isolators that replaced my seating feet. I'm sure this amplifies the tactile response as well. It made a difference before with the seats mounted on concrete. With the sound intensity and PVL being primarily responsible for tactile feedback, I wonder if it's of any benefit having the sub mounted on the riser.

One thing that would be of huge benefit is if we had a database/thread for tactile like what this thread has accomplished. Where a person could go and get the info and product data needed to get the needed or wanted response. Comparisons of passive and active risers/platforms and seating. Explore and find that perfect balance of spl to tactile, for example, at 115db@20hz is should 5.2vm or whatever the optimal number is and to achieved you have to do this and this. To me tactile is as important as having a sub.
coolrda is online now  
post #3067 of 3072 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
I downloaded several VM apps and think I found one that'll work. Not knowing the first thing about vibration meters I assume XYZ axis does the trick. This one seems sensitive enough. If this does work out then we will have a VM solution for iPhone users. No more guessing when it comes to tactile response, if it works out.

Last few days I've testing a few things out regarding tactile improvement. I forgot to mentioned that I have rubber isolators that replaced my seating feet. I'm sure this amplifies the tactile response as well. It made a difference before with the seats mounted on concrete. With the sound intensity and PVL being primarily responsible for tactile feedback, I wonder if it's of any benefit having the sub mounted on the riser.

One thing that would be of huge benefit is if we had a database/thread for tactile like what this thread has accomplished. Where a person could go and get the info and product data needed to get the needed or wanted response. Comparisons of passive and active risers/platforms and seating. Explore and find that perfect balance of spl to tactile, for example, at 115db@20hz is should 5.2vm or whatever the optimal number is and to achieved you have to do this and this. To me tactile is as important as having a sub.
+1. I actually tried to start something like this a while back:

Measuring the 'Tactile Feeling' of your sub system

The only challenge to this is measuring in the vertical axis. In my room, when placed on my seats (horizontal axis), I get considerable shaking between 10 and 20hz, and not much after that. But what I can tell you is that I also get as much shaking above 20hz...but it's against my back (vertical axis) and not my seat cushions.

The other things that this cannot measure is that 'kick in the chest' feeling, which likely could only be measured via a Sound Intensity meter like the Microflown.

Were you ever able to test how much your riser shakes with your nearfield subs off?
dominguez1 is online now  
post #3068 of 3072 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
+1. I actually tried to start something like this a while back:

Measuring the 'Tactile Feeling' of your sub system

The only challenge to this is measuring in the vertical axis. In my room, when placed on my seats (horizontal axis), I get considerable shaking between 10 and 20hz, and not much after that. But what I can tell you is that I also get as much shaking above 20hz...but it's against my back (vertical axis) and not my seat cushions.

The other things that this cannot measure is that 'kick in the chest' feeling, which likely could only be measured via a Sound Intensity meter like the Microflown.

Were you ever able to test how much your riser shakes with your nearfield subs off?
Not yet but will try that tonight or tomorrow.
coolrda is online now  
post #3069 of 3072 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frank D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Here's my estimates for the new RA line. I think these are in the ballpark, but let me know of any tweaking necessary.

Are you going to add these to your first post and excel sheet?

Thanks
Frank D is offline  
post #3070 of 3072 Old Today, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 245
V18.2 of the ULF Calculator now available

  • Added new PSA Subs (V1500, S1500, S3000i)
  • Added new RA Subs (Echo 15, Echo 18, Gamma 15, Gamma 18, Gamma 218)
  • New ULF Members @coolrda , @galonzo
  • Updated ULF Members @Ted Sheckler , @derrickdj1
  • Separated the Member ULF Score Data into its own spreadsheet on post 1 (ULF Calculator exceeded upload limits)


Member ULF Stars


Member ULF Scores


Member ULF SI Equivalents


Member Tactile Feedback FX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Member ULF Stars 3-29-15.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	634121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Member ULF Scores 3-29-15.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	634129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Member SI 3-29-15.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	634137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Member TF FX 3-29-15.png
Views:	9
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	634145  

Last edited by dominguez1; Today at 02:19 PM.
dominguez1 is online now  
post #3071 of 3072 Old Today, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 165
@dominguez1

"V18.2 of the ULF Calculator now available"

The link in the first post in not working for me...
laugsbach is online now  
post #3072 of 3072 Unread Today, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
@dominguez1

"V18.2 of the ULF Calculator now available"

The link in the first post in not working for me...
Should be fixed now!
dominguez1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
ae ib15 subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Epik Empire , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off