Your Home Theater ULF Score - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Your Home Theater ULF Score
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:55 PM 09-26-2013
I will tomorrow. My office computer has all the good stuff.

HopefulFred's Avatar HopefulFred 10:15 PM 09-26-2013
If you just need some sims, maybe what Jay1 posted is sufficient. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1483014/recommendations-for-sealed-reference-system#post_23559309
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:30 AM 09-27-2013
THat shows the 15 to be 3 dBs less than the 18 so I guess you can say it is 3 dBs less at 10hz or around 83 dBs to the SI's 89.2 dBs.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:52 AM 09-27-2013
I get 85.1 for the Dayton driver so I am not sure how big your room is.
HopefulFred's Avatar HopefulFred 08:49 PM 09-27-2013
It's 2300 cubes - give or take - mostly take. . Thanks for the help guys!
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 06:48 AM 09-28-2013
I'll play,

Half my subs running, not max SPL in a 3600cf room. How do you figure out a score for IB?

carp's Avatar carp 08:05 AM 09-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

I'll play,

Half my subs running, not max SPL in a 3600cf room. How do you figure out a score for IB?

Dave - your score is 11. biggrin.gif
Ricci's Avatar Ricci 08:59 AM 09-28-2013
Dave yours should be about the same as mine. Let's just assume its somewhere between don't worry about it and -13
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 09:03 AM 09-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I get 85.1 for the Dayton driver so I am not sure how big your room is.

Thanks MK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

It's 2300 cubes - give or take - mostly take. . Thanks for the help guys!
Room size in cubic feet 2300  

Hz SI Sub/Driver Your Sub's lowest freq's max output (ground plane) dB Difference Equivalent SI(s) Quantity Total SI(s) HT ULF Score
 (cf per SI)
10 89.2 UM15-22 85.1 -4.1 0.6 4 2.4 958

This puts you at 4 Stars! Nice!

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:54 AM 09-28-2013
Dave and Ricci, you guys have the most displacement I know of, so it depends on room size. WE are just getting an idea on what people might be experiencing in their rooms compared to others. Basically, A 12 inch sub in a small closet can feel like 8 REXXX's in a theater. Small room equals lots of savings!
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 10:00 AM 09-28-2013
Quote:

I'll play,

What the ?? :eek: 

102db @ 2hz??? 1/2 your subs running, not max SPL? This is sick...do you get sick when you watch movies? ;) :D

Let me dig through this thread...I thought MK estimated that for IB.

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:00 AM 09-28-2013
JapanDave,

Your score is 171 at 10hz with 8 drivers running!
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 10:05 AM 09-28-2013
Quote:

JapanDave,

Cool, what max output did you use for the XXX IB?

Also...again, this is a rough estimate on your ULF experience, so I wouldn't get to hung up comparing exact ULF scores. To be exact, you have to factor in more things. IIRC, I think Dave's room has ALL concrete walls around his room? Hardly any output (if any) is lost through walls, and goes right back into the room!

Another 5 star ULF Theater!

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:11 AM 09-28-2013
I used 8.4 dBs more than the SI. I use the same winisd sims for all drivers. The XXX was limited at DB with a small box. Just use the chart I posted. All the numbers I posted are from that chart. Again these numbers say nothing about distortion and if the driver rolls off as simulated. Data-bass shows that info except some drivers were not in their ideal boxes. Also I am using power for 5 hz x-max. To give an idea the sim shows the SI hitting 95.3 dBs at 10hz with 897 watts reaching x-max at 5 hz.
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 10:19 AM 09-28-2013

Are you talking about this chart?

900x900px-LL-ec52c4d8_ULFscoresheet.png

Is there a way you can make that bigger? It's really hard to see the numbers...

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 12:02 PM 09-28-2013
I will have to redo them
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 05:27 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Dave yours should be about the same as mine. Let's just assume its somewhere between don't worry about it and -13
Hey Ricci, I did forget to mention that I ended up getting another XXX 18" like you suggested. So I have 4 drivers up the front and 4 drivers down the back of the room now.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 05:30 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:

JapanDave,

Thanks MK, I would love to know how you got that number, I got lost half way through the first post.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 05:37 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Cool, what max output did you use for the XXX IB?

Also...again, this is a rough estimate on your ULF experience, so I wouldn't get to hung up comparing exact ULF scores. To be exact, you have to factor in more things. IIRC, I think Dave's room has ALL concrete walls around his room? Hardly any output (if any) is lost through walls, and goes right back into the room!

Another 5 star ULF Theater!

Thanks, and you are correct. All concrete walls, floors and ceiling. If you want to feel a solid 10" concrete floor flexing, come and stand above my basment while WOTW is playing.
carp's Avatar carp 05:55 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:

Thanks, and you are correct. All concrete walls, floors and ceiling. If you want to feel a solid 10" concrete floor flexing, come and stand above my basment while WOTW is playing.

Wow man that's unreal!!

That's another factor that makes it hard to score our rooms; I guarantee I'm losing a lot of low end due to the ceiling and walls flexing which makes your room all the more impressive.

James, isn't your room similar to Dave's? Lots of concrete?
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 06:43 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:

Thanks MK, I would love to know how you got that number, I got lost half way through the first post.

MK ran winisd for the XXX (in an optimal sized box) and the SI (MK's chart above). The XXX was 8.5db higher than the SI in that sim.

Josh tested the SI @10hz and measured an output of 89.2.

XXX = 89.2 + 8.5 = 97.7db at 10hz

Using the calculator attached to the first post, 1 XXX = 2.7SI. Since you have 8, it would be 8 x 2.7 or the equivalent of 21.6 SIs in your room!!!! :eek:

To calculate your ULF score, it is room size in cubic feet / subwoofage in SI

3600 / 21.6 = 167 ULF Score. (MK is probably using an older version of the calculator where it was carrying all the decimal places and why he got 171).

JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 07:01 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:

MK ran winisd for the XXX (in an optimal sized box) and the SI (MK's chart above). The XXX was 8.5db higher than the SI in that sim.

Josh tested the SI @10hz and measured an output of 89.2.

XXX = 89.2 + 8.5 = 97.7db at 10hz
Using the calculator attached to the first post, 1 XXX = 2.7SI. Since you have 8, it would be 8 x 2.7 or the equivalent of 21.6 SIs in your room!!!! eek.gif

To calculate your ULF score, it is room size in cubic feet / subwoofage in SI

3600 / 21.6 = 167 ULF Score. (MK is probably using an older version of the calculator where it was carrying all the decimal places and why he got 171).
OK, I see now. So I should not be including the space behind the wall where the IB subs lie correct? The actual cubic ft of the space? In that case, my room total volume will be about 2900 cf.
So 2900 / 21.6 = 134
So the lower the score the better I am guessing?
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 07:29 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:

OK, I see now. So I should not be including the space behind the wall where the IB subs lie correct? The actual cubic ft of the space? In that case, my room total volume will be about 2900 cf.
So 2900 / 21.6 = 134
So the lower the score the better I am guessing?

That's right, don't include the space behind the wall, and yes lower is better! 134 is your score then!

Based on the scoring range below, that places you in the 5 star category (as if you needed reassurance...).

LL

Regardless of score, Dave I have to think you hold the 'real' ULF record of all AVS members (and likely non-members). Not only because of your crazy displacement, but the 10inch concrete walls, ceiling, and floor! MK is close with 3 walls and the floor concrete!

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:54 PM 09-28-2013
Yup, well actually I built all my walls out of double drywall and double layer sound board with insulation in between. The floor is carpet over concrete. Beyond all the walls is a concrete basement or all walls of concrete. The only non concrete barrier is the ceiling and guess where all the bass goes, up there and destroys all the marble flooring directly above! So I built a room within a concrete bunker surrounding it. The problem with the room is that before the SPL's can get too crazy the pressure from the bass will blow your ears out. When I pin the meter my ears plug up all the time. When I watch a movie with max 125 dBs peaks the ears don't plug and that was with a score of 247! All this extra stuff won't even be used so I guess it will just be lower distortion now.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 08:13 PM 09-28-2013
Quote:

That's right, don't include the space behind the wall, and yes lower is better! 134 is your score then!

Based on the scoring range below, that places you in the 5 star category (as if you needed reassurance...).

LL

Regardless of score, Dave I have to think you hold the 'real' ULF record of all AVS members (and likely non-members). Not only because of your crazy displacement, but the 10inch concrete walls, ceiling, and floor! MK is close with 3 walls and the floor concrete!
Thanks, it certainly does not lack in the bass department! biggrin.gif
Quote:

Yup, well actually I built all my walls out of double drywall and double layer sound board with insulation in between. The floor is carpet over concrete. Beyond all the walls is a concrete basement or all walls of concrete. The only non concrete barrier is the ceiling and guess where all the bass goes, up there and destroys all the marble flooring directly above! So I built a room within a concrete bunker surrounding it. The problem with the room is that before the SPL's can get too crazy the pressure from the bass will blow your ears out. When I pin the meter my ears plug up all the time. When I watch a movie with max 125 dBs peaks the ears don't plug and that was with a score of 247! All this extra stuff won't even be used so I guess it will just be lower distortion now.
I hear that! No pun intended.
One of my favorite things to do when testing is to plug the ears and let WOTW's rip above reference, the visceral experience literally rips your insides apart!

MK, have you thought about building a small 1-2" hollow riser? Even though the concrete floor now transmits vibrations as it is now, I was thinking of doing this to further increase the visceral experience.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:40 PM 09-28-2013
My back row of seats are on a riser which does shake more but the back row is blocked by the front row and the front row you can feel the waves or air move you like a wind tunnel. If I build a riser for the front seats it will block the view of the back row. I have been thinking of just having one row of 5 seats with a riser and forget two rows.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 09:00 PM 09-28-2013
I just have 3 seats in my theater, but I don't have anybody over so no need. How wide is your theater to fit 5 seats?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:08 PM 09-28-2013
Not wide enough that is why I have not done it. It would almost fit but no go. I need to make this work some how. My kids will use the theater much more as they grow so maybe I should just leave it.
dominguez1's Avatar dominguez1 05:35 PM 09-30-2013

Hey MK, any luck on that graph? Alternatively, you could just post the difference for each of those drivers compared to the SI, and I will update my chart.

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:59 PM 09-30-2013
Tomorrow
Tags: ae ib15 subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Epik Empire , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop