Your Home Theater ULF Score - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 391Likes

post #3991 of 3994 Old Today, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 767
The Helmholtz resonator reference reminded me of Tom Danley's trip to the pyramids to measure the sound inside using a microphone and an accelerometer.

The Great Pyramid: Early Reflections & Ancient Echoes
TestTones, Indiana Jones and the Lost Knowledge of Yore

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator
- Advanced Audio Optimization
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 3994 Old Today, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Since the driver is barely moving at this point, isn't it more likely that a port produces greater pvl per SPL than a driver? If we assume the driver doesn't contribute in the ported system, you could test this by applying a bandpass filter to a sub so as to coerce it into the same FR as the port has alone. Compare the tr results when playing a sine wave (or noise band limited to the port output passband?) and see which one wins.
I believe I've already performed this test as documented in post 5 below:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1488059-your-home-theater-ulf-score.html#post23676274

The results support the hypothesis as I recorded more Tactile response with the vibration meter with the ported design.

But you're right, it could be because the port is contributing more pvl per spl compared a sealed design at those frequencies. I don't understand the physics enough to explain why if that was the case, but definitely a possibility.
3ll3d00d likes this.
post #3993 of 3994 Old Today, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 309
One other note about pvl...

It is directional. That being the case, subs where the port fires up or down or a different direction than the driver, may not be able to optimize tactile response...above tune, the driver produces the lion share of pvl, but near tune the port does. If they aren't firing the same way, you may lose TR.

Directionality is an easy one to test...for those with nearfield setups, turn your sub so that the driver is facing in the opposite direction of your seating...Tactile Response will drop significantly even if calibrated with the same spl.

Of course boundaries could also come into play, and perhaps dual opposed boundary loading might be a sweet spot as I know @coolrda experienced a difference when he went DO behind his seating...
post #3994 of 3994 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
But you're right, it could be because the port is contributing more pvl per spl compared a sealed design at those frequencies. I don't understand the physics enough to explain why if that was the case, but definitely a possibility.
I wonder whether different port configurations behave differently too? e.g. 1 big port vs 3 smaller ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
ae ib15 subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Epik Empire , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page