Your Home Theater ULF Score - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 684Likes

post #4981 of 4993 Old 05-18-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Is that the lowest tune you could get? I thought your 8 SIs had a 7hz tune?

That is what I designed for but the enclosure is at least 50 cubes bigger so it will probably end up 8hz or lower in my room.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
Outlaw 7140 and 5000
Speakers- TBD
subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 4993 Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Yep! Your subriser must completely go through that futon cushion...having more dense seating wouldn't get you the same result!
Not necessarily.
post #4983 of 4993 Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Not necessarily.
This is a maybe but, a heavier couch may adhere to the rise. The same fore will be transmitted. The couch will shake a bit less but, sence energy does not disappear, it has to go somewhere, the occupant of the seat.

I say this because a few folk with riser have demo'ed my HT which, is on concrete and are amazed at the force coming to the seats.
coolrda and SBuger like this.

post #4984 of 4993 Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
This is a maybe but, a heavier couch may adhere to the rise. The same fore will be transmitted. The couch will shake a bit less but, sence energy does not disappear, it has to go somewhere, the occupant of the seat.

I say this because a few folk with riser have demo'ed my HT which, is on concrete and are amazed at the force coming to the seats.
What I was referring to was the seat testing I did where I changed the support from rubber to jute to MDF. My thought would be if rubber is a 2 and jute is a 5 then mdf is a 8. Not so. If I remember correctly it was MDF 2 rubber 5 jute 8.

Now to your point. Its quite possible that in the end good ol' concrete is the best option. Riser most definitely have a resonance. Couldn't they have a null as well? I'm thinking more and more about removing my riser.
post #4985 of 4993 Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My main point was some energy is being lost from the seat between the coupling of the couch and riser. Isolation feet and keeping the couch in solid contact with the riser is of benefit. There are to many variables to say with certainty. I am not discounting the study on risers done early in the ULF thread. Riser vs concrete will have different emphasis on seat movement vs energy transfer to the person sitting.
post #4986 of 4993 Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 4149
Quote:
^^^This.

It's definitely a balancing act. Too much TR and Intensity can take away from other nuances of the HT experience (weight, pressure, snappiness, detail, etc.). It's analogous to running your bass to hot...run it hot enough and you start to lose detail from your mains, surrounds, etc. as the bass becomes so prominent, it overpowers everything.
I agree with your summary and with the posts you quoted in making it. The only thing that I would add is that the appropriate balance at any given time may not necessarily be a static one. Like several of the other posters, I may choose slightly different things to emphasize, depending on the content, and on my own mood. A couple of people noted that they don't max out their volumes all the time. With me, it's partly a matter of the mood that I'm in. Some days it's fun to really let it rip with loud volumes and low bass, and on other occasions I might be content with lower volumes and less low bass.

As SBuger noted earlier, the listening volume can affect the equilibrium between mid-bass and ULF, due to the way our hearing works (the Equal Loudness Contours). So, for instance, if I leave my subs at the same +15 setting when I am listening at -10 MV, and at -15 MV, I will hear relatively more ULF at -10, and relatively more mid-bass at -15, because we hear mid-bass frequencies more easily than we do lower ones. Depending on what I'm in the mood for, I may just raise or lower my master volume to change the acoustic balance in the way I want it for that particular movie or mood.

Regards,
Mike
SBuger likes this.
post #4987 of 4993 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your saying better/heavier seating will be better on a riser and even better on concrete than cheaper/lighter seating. I could be wrong but I'm starting to think the same way. I'm sold. Even if its not a quantity improvement, a quality one, would be as much or more welcome.

Last edited by coolrda; Yesterday at 11:32 AM.
post #4988 of 4993 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
I do like when I shake more than my chair and I do like the quality of bass better on concrete than the riser. My two XXX 18s equal my 8 18 wall!
derrickdj1 likes this.
post #4989 of 4993 Old Today, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I agree with your summary and with the posts you quoted in making it. The only thing that I would add is that the appropriate balance at any given time may not necessarily be a static one. Like several of the other posters, I may choose slightly different things to emphasize, depending on the content, and on my own mood. A couple of people noted that they don't max out their volumes all the time. With me, it's partly a matter of the mood that I'm in. Some days it's fun to really let it rip with loud volumes and low bass, and on other occasions I might be content with lower volumes and less low bass.

As SBuger noted earlier, the listening volume can affect the equilibrium between mid-bass and ULF, due to the way our hearing works (the Equal Loudness Contours). So, for instance, if I leave my subs at the same +15 setting when I am listening at -10 MV, and at -15 MV, I will hear relatively more ULF at -10, and relatively more mid-bass at -15, because we hear mid-bass frequencies more easily than we do lower ones. Depending on what I'm in the mood for, I may just raise or lower my master volume to change the acoustic balance in the way I want it for that particular movie or mood.

Regards,
Mike
So true. Even our perception can be off day to day, and without any changes to the system, the feel is different. Changing gear and placement of subs can disrupt that balance and while you may increase both quantity and quality of your system in doing so, you simply may not like it as much due to it feeling different. Then, over time and after tuning the new setup, you can get to a point were you may like it better.
SBuger and mthomas47 like this.
post #4990 of 4993 Old Today, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The thread has taken on an interesting point. The TR will be different on a riser vs a a more solid surface like concrete. This remind me of the roller coaster at 6 Flags VS the space shuttle. They are both great ride but way different. Is one better, ask me on different days.

One day I may like my chair/seat to shake the hell out of me and the next day I want the force not to be sent to the seat and sent directly to me. This is the possible difference between a riser and concrete.

Now, we know you will need a mega system to do this on concrete because you need to make up around 14 or 15 db of spl. to equal a riser. There are mega system that can do this, I have one. Now the question is which way do I go,, flow with the river for the easy path. Maximize your room with it resources or tear everything out and reconstruct the space. This will ouch! or cost a ton more money. From my view, there is no one and only way to go so, don't break the bank because it can be bested in another scenario
SBuger likes this.
post #4991 of 4993 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have watched this thread grow and help many in elevating their HT experience. This thread has repeatedly questioned it's self and end points. Data integrity has been a hallmark for this type of ongoing thread.

It is apparent that some conclusion can be drawn with this much data accumulated and tested. The HT is complex and there is no one perfect scenario. There are large variances mostly because of the room. Different experiences will largely depend on the room. There is enough data to have a good ideal of what that experience is in a given room.

We may be at a point that subjective data is relevant since the goal is also what people perceived to be a good HT experience and are comfortable with.
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by derrickdj1; Today at 01:26 PM.
post #4992 of 4993 Old Today, 02:00 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 5650 Post(s)
Liked: 4614
Quote:
This remind me of the roller coaster at 6 Flags VS the space shuttle.
WOAH!!!

You rode the Space Shuttle?!?!? F**k yeah, man! That's awesome! I didn't know you were/are an astronaut.

Got any GoPro footage of it??!
coolrda and SBuger like this.
post #4993 of 4993 Old Today, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never left the planet Scott, lol. It is just that the two style of HT will differ. What is better, I sure as hell don't know. To many variables but, either way, I will enjoy the ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
ae ib15 subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Epik Empire , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer