Your Home Theater ULF Score - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 761Likes

post #5041 of 5048 Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
You can buy a powder gun and nail/pins to anchor the OSB. A lot of flooring guys just float the OSB and nail tongue and groove solid flooring to that. Or you could go click lock. Or OSB, pad and carpet. I even use liquid nails to secure the OSB to the concrete. It still resonates. Same thing happened when I removed the pad and placed a piece of 3/8" OSB. It did provide a firmer base that gave the MA's TR gains but it also had the same effect as this subfloor. Certainly my wood floor topping the subfloor could help but the key, I believe, is the subfloor, not what tops it. I will cut and bind(edging) my carpet basically turning it into an area rug with felt backing like we have throughout the house, for the sound benefit. But again, thats not important. If you need a riser for sightlines, don't use isolators. Just lay it on the subfloor. I lost TR when I placed rubber isolator feet on the subs. I'm using simple stick on, one inch felt pads. The fronts sub weigh about 225lb and I can move them by slide if needed. Yet they stay put and couple really well to the subfloor. Again, the important thing is that resonates and its almost impossible to mass couple to concrete slab no matter how attached or unattached it is. It makes sense why sand is used to fill stages and risers. Unless you need a purpose built riser, don't waste your time and effort. There no question the riser works but the subfloor is much more effective and far simpler to place. I don't think the type of sheet wood makes a difference, so use the cheapest. Likewise with the thickness. There may be a small difference between the 1/2" and 1 1/8" OSB, but I doubt its much.
Thanks for the info! So you did this to your whole floor in you HT room then right? I was thinking at first that you were just talking about just that section under your seating area (with riser removed), like what you said about using the 3/8" OSD without the pad for your MA's (I think I remember when you did that a while back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5048 Old 08-25-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Thanks for the info! So you did this to your whole floor in you HT room then right? I was thinking at first that you were just talking about just that section under your seating area (with riser removed), like what you said about using the 3/8" OSD without the pad for your MA's (I think I remember when you did that a while back).
Correct.
SBuger likes this.
post #5043 of 5048 Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey guys. I was reading a couple different forums of using plywood under couch for more tactical bass. My theater is in the basement on concrete. Was wondering if it does help and what kind of wood to use plywood or OSB and what thickness. I was going to use the Buttkicker Ri-4 isolation pads for feet of the plywood.

Thanks for any info

post #5044 of 5048 Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb1276 View Post
Hey guys. I was reading a couple different forums of using plywood under couch for more tactical bass. My theater is in the basement on concrete. Was wondering if it does help and what kind of wood to use plywood or OSB and what thickness. I was going to use the Buttkicker Ri-4 isolation pads for feet of the plywood.

Thanks for any info
For a makeshift riser, most people seem to be using 0.5" to 0.75" plywood, and those BK are good isolation feet to start with. I installed 0.75" pine plywood under my loveseat with a pair of Crowsons, and just ordered a couple of ButtKickers, and it works wonders for directly transmitting tactile effects. Perusing AVS, I've read mixed reports though on how helpful such a "mini riser" can be when only subwoofers are providing the main source of tactile energy. I'd probably shy away from using baltic birch for this purpose or making it too thick/rigid, as a little flex is necessary.

Do you run or intend to add a tactile transducer? Concrete floors and a couch on a plywood riser (with proper isolation feet) are beckoning for the additional bass reinforcement that bass shakers or motion actuators can provide.
unretarded likes this.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2, ButtKicker Advance x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #5045 of 5048 Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
For a makeshift riser, most people seem to be using 0.5" to 0.75" plywood, and those BK are good isolation feet to start with. I installed 0.75" pine plywood under my loveseat with a pair of Crowsons, and just ordered a couple of ButtKickers, and it works wonders for directly transmitting tactile effects. Perusing AVS, I've read mixed reports though on how helpful such a "mini riser" can be when only subwoofers are providing the main source of tactile energy. I'd probably shy away from using baltic birch for this purpose or making it too thick/rigid, as a little flex is necessary.

Do you run or intend to add a tactile transducer? Concrete floors and a couch on a plywood riser (with proper isolation feet) are beckoning for the additional bass reinforcement that bass shakers or motion actuators can provide.
I might look to run transducers. I thought having 4 large subs would be enough tactical bass, but being on concrete floor that is not that case. I will be using 3 8 foot long pieces of plywood for this. I have a large sectional couch. How many feet would you recommend per piece for this. Is more feet better?

Thanks
post #5046 of 5048 Old 09-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I might look to run transducers. I thought having 4 large subs would be enough tactical bass, but being on concrete floor that is not that case. I will be using 3 8 foot long pieces of plywood for this. I have a large sectional couch. How many feet would you recommend per piece for this. Is more feet better?

Thanks
I hear you there. I've got four 18" subs, and still needed more on hard floors over concrete; thus, transducers under and over the plywood base. You don't want to add so many feet to where the pads don't compress at all, need some compression to decouple the couch from the floor. @Mark Seaton just wrote a great post on this exact subject, but I forget which thread they were in. I'd say 4 feet per couch section to start and see what you get.

post #5047 of 5048 Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I hear you there. I've got four 18" subs, and still needed more on hard floors over concrete; thus, transducers under and over the plywood base. You don't want to add so many feet to where the pads don't compress at all, need some compression to decouple the couch from the floor. @Mark Seaton just wrote a great post on this exact subject, but I forget which thread they were in. I'd say 4 feet per couch section to start and see what you get.
thanks for the info. I see you Have PSA subs also. I have 4 of the PSA S3600i's and love them, just need more tactical bass. is this the kind of plywood that you would recommend?

https://www.carterlumber.com/product...sanded-plywood#
post #5048 of 5048 Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thanks for the info. I see you Have PSA subs also. I have 4 of the PSA S3600i's and love them, just need more tactical bass. is this the kind of plywood that you would recommend?

https://www.carterlumber.com/product...sanded-plywood#
That's what I used, just the 0.75" standard, sanded 5 ply pine from Home Depot...never got around to staining the front edge that barely shows, but I cut it down to fit my frame so the couch modifications aren't even noticeable until the transducers kick in.

Have you tried any near field placement with your subs? I bet four S3600i sound pretty incredible! It's harder to get a strong tactile effect from dual opposed and sealed subs when place nearfield, but some have had luck with it.

Even with ported subs, I still needed more oomph, so I put a couple MBMs behind the seating and that helped a bit with midbass slam, then added the Crowsons and they made a huge difference. I'd definitely look into adding some tactile transducers in the future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
ae ib15 subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Epik Empire , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page