post #2401 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 174
nube's ULF Card:

...and entry into the 5hz club!

Glad to see a ULF Ambassador join the membership . His HT is a great example of full bandwidth capability at a very economical price ($1300 or so I believe). Reference capable down to 5hz I suspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ULF Card - nube.png
Views:	137
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	260258  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Version 17.0 of the ULF Calculator now available. Post 2 Updated with Member scores:
  • Corrected error with groundplace SPL calculation. It was adding 6db across the board to everyone's GP SPL. Thanks to basshead81 for finding!
  • This did impact a lot of members ULF Stars with the error correction. The stars seem more in line now though with 'Reference' and 'Above Reference' output. I take a general approach in defining these: Reference is 115-118, and Above Reference is > 118.

Welcome new members @Luke Kamp , @nube , and @popalock 's new warehouse..er, I mean HT.

I've also created a Tactile Feedback FX member list.

Member ULF Stars

Member ULF Scores

Member ULF SI Equivalents

Member Tactile Feedback FX

post #2403 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Yes!!! Biggest room FTW!
post #2404 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Hmmm, something doesn't seem right...

This is an 18db rolloff below 20hz...I have 20hz listed at 120db for the OS. That would put 10hz at 102db, which is more than I have estimated for the S2 at 98.2db.

I've heard that the S2 has twice the output (6db) below 20hz compared to the OS, and the OS has twice the output above 20hz.

Something is amiss here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
that is my understanding too about the difference between the OS and S2 above and below 20hz. I thought the OS LFU had output up to 133dB but not sure what freq that was measured at. I had Jeff on the phone today but did not ask him any of these questions so I am not sure.
Here are the links in case in makes more sense seeing the specs.

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/orbit-shifter-lfu/
http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...it+shifter+lfu
@lbrown105 ,

I didn't add you yet because I want to try and sort out the JTR subs...

Is this sim you posted from 1M?

Do you have sim's from other JTR subs like the S1, S2, and Captivator?

post #2405 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 146
With the new figures in the calculator, my new score almost looks like my old score. It would be nice if a ? mark or some other form of info could be noted to indicated that the 10 and 12 Hz data is incomplete and is not include for two of the subs since there is no measurement data on them at those frequencies. Some may be interested in the Ultimax and know that there can be out lower than 16 Hz is possible if the sub is tuned lower as in this case.

I get the same spl at 10 and 12 Hz from the Vented subs as the dual sealed sub. It just seem that the score is not indicative of the the four subs performance capabilities. This may be a mute point and I may be the only one with this problem.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500

Last edited by derrickdj1; Yesterday at 05:31 AM.
post #2406 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Not bad...assuming I did the numbers right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	261354  

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 09-13-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #2407 of 2420 Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yes I believe the OS LFU measurement was 1M at arbitrary level. Max output is 133dB. Below is the measurement for the Cap S again arbitrary level and I believe 1M

JTR Cap S

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #2408 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Congrats on the increase ULF! I bet things sound great now.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

post #2409 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
With the new figures in the calculator, my new score almost looks like my old score. It would be nice if a ? mark or some other form of info could be noted to indicated that the 10 and 12 Hz data is incomplete and is not include for two of the subs since there is no measurement data on them at those frequencies. Some may be interested in the Ultimax and know that there can be out lower than 16 Hz is possible if the sub is tuned lower as in this case.

I get the same spl at 10 and 12 Hz from the Vented subs as the dual sealed sub. It just seem that the score is not indicative of the the four subs performance capabilities. This may be a mute point and I may be the only one with this problem.
Definitely see what you're saying...unfortunately, it will be difficult to account for in-room gain with different designs/rooms. However, you're not alone in this, as the ULF score treats everyone the same.

post #2410 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice eljay...did you use the latest version (17)? If not, you should as I had some calculation errors in prior versions.

Are you integrating all 4 subs then in your room? Congrats if you are!

post #2411 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Curious that it lists my setup at 4.5 at 10hz, since it's really only down a few db there. I assume that's probably from model vs reality?

post #2412 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1
Nice eljay...did you use the latest version (17)? If not, you should as I had some calculation errors in prior versions.
I was using v16.something, so I re-did it just now with v17. Not quite as good way down low, but still pretty good overall, IMO.

Quote:
Are you integrating all 4 subs then in your room? Congrats if you are!
Thanks. Yes, I have the UXLs up front and the SS-18s at the back right. The combination is very satisfying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ULF score.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	262482  

post #2413 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Notnyt, that graph shows a little compression everywhere except 10hz and under? It should be the opposite.
post #2414 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Notnyt, that graph shows a little compression everywhere except 10hz and under? It should be the opposite.
I think I was compressing the mic or something on the top sweep. Was just the quickest one I had available, the lower two are standard response

post #2415 of 2420 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Damn mics!
post #2416 of 2420 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Definitely see what you're saying...unfortunately, it will be difficult to account for in-room gain with different designs/rooms. However, you're not alone in this, as the ULF score treats everyone the same.
I am not talking about room gain, the vented subs have lower output than the windisp but, there are no measurement for this sub with a 16 Hz tune since I think I am the first person that converted the Chase VS 18.1 with the Ultimax . I was just thinking that page 74 used the ? marks for the 10 and 12 Hz measurements since it is not know. Most likely, not enough subs to note unknown measurements. It's all good so I won't bother you anymore, lol. Thanks for a great thread!

post #2417 of 2420 Old Today, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was using v16.something, so I re-did it just now with v17. Not quite as good way down low, but still pretty good overall, IMO.

Thanks. Yes, I have the UXLs up front and the SS-18s at the back right. The combination is very satisfying.
Eljay, not that it matters that much, but I re-did your ULF score using the Chase 18.2 instead of dual 18.1s. The estimate for the 18.2 extends to 10hz because it should lower distortion overall netting you deeper extension; going from a 3.5 star at 10hz to a 4.0 star.

One of the reasons why I double checked because it looked odd that you have a couple of UXLs and the Chase's, but still only got you to Reference at 16hz. I would have thought you would be in the 12.5hz range...of course this calculator is conservative by design.

Curious to your impressions of what's really happening in your room. Do you think/know you can hit 115-118 at 12.5hz? You're very close to that cutoff as 674 is 4.5 star, so I wouldn't be surprised if you do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ULF Score - Eljay.png
Views:	17
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	264674  

post #2418 of 2420 Old Today, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Curious that it lists my setup at 4.5 at 10hz, since it's really only down a few db there. I assume that's probably from model vs reality?
You got it.

post #2419 of 2420 Old Today, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dom,
Here is the raw unsmoothed with no EQ near filed subs.

post #2420 of 2420 Old Today, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it's worth noting that these 4.5 Star and above systems are crazy capable...and certainly not "needed" for great bass (LF)!

In fact, I remember when I had just 2 eD A7s-450s:

3.5 Star system. I was super pleased with this system, and some of the best bass I had heard. A 3.5 star system put me on the extreme end of all other HT systems I had encountered. At the time I had some vintage Cambridge PSW12s placed nearfield. They were sealed, and probably didn't extend much beyond 28-30hz...but they still provided some nice shake.

The nearfield had always interested me, and a fellow AVS'r was selling his LFM1-EXs...so he let me try before I buy...needless to say, I bought them. This upgraded my ULF score to:

This was the upgrade where I had thought I had reached bass nirvana...the tactile feedback from the ported nearfield was incredible. Combined with the sealed A7S's, and there was no reason for me to upgrade. I was at 4.5 star 16hz and 20hz, but 3.5 star below that.

It wasn't until I blew a driver with my eD's, that I decided to upgrade. I wanted to not have to 'worry' about pushing my subs too hard, so went the FTW21 route....thought that was nirvana. Then wanted to try the FV15HP because it had been raved about so much, so sold the outlaws to fund the FV...thought that was nirvana...but wanted to get more even shake across all seating, so purchased another FV...you get the picture.

My point is: For folks that don't have 4.5 star systems, your system is not incapable by any means! In fact, I'm sure it's pretty impressive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ULF Score - Dom Circa 2011.png
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	264754   Click image for larger version

Name:	ULF Card - Dom Circa 2012.png
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	264778  

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Epik Empire , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Seaton Sound Submersive H P

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page