post #2461 of 2469 Old 09-20-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
What db is the threshold for pain in the ULF range?
Good question, had to look this one up...

According to this NASA Lift Off research paper: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a081792.pdf

10-20hz:
>165db ripped eardrums
>160db eardrum damage is likely
153-160db technically safe, but not really recommended still.
153db caused severe discomfort: choking of the throat. hard to breath. severe nervousness. Highest recommend SPL (even with lawyers waived.)
140-150 nervousness is induced
137-145db chest/lung movement noticed, very distracting. Modulated speech. (SPL reached inside Space Shuttle at launch.)
120db all frequencies are clearly audible, and start of annoyances, feel like underwater, nausea-sensitive people affected
105-130 caused a drunken-like condition in math tests

So lets call 153db a full 6 Stars and 5+ some in-between scale... I don't think anybody would want to have a choking experience when watching movies,
perhaps as a short bassheaded system-demo though. That should keep the system builders busy for the next 100 years...
Fatshaft, dominguez1 and neutro like this.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 09-20-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2469 Old 09-20-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I have a peak at 7hz where my seats are located now. Whenever 7hz hits you can feel air hitting your arms from behind. Tuning at 6hz will just increase this effect. I install the 8 drivers up front tomorrow!

Dom, I can tell you already that just the sealed near field subs alone feel like 16 of the front wall or running the front wall 12 dBs hot!
Thanks for this MK. It helps me, and maybe others that demoed my old setup, gain a bit of perspective.

post #2463 of 2469 Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Yes, the rear subs are so powerful that if you leave the gains matched you will never notice the front subs. In your case it was even worse because you had equal subs near field. I have just 4 behind me and it feels just like running my system before 12 dBs hot. I tried running the near field subs 10 dBs hot and it was too much pressure. 5 dBs hot works great though. I just hooked up a little baby peavy IPR2 3000 because it was local and wanted to see if I could run the rear subs with it. 5 dBs hot and it was just fine. It feels like a POS compared to the Sanway though but provides lots of power. It reminds me of the old Emotiva DC1 with the big blue lights. Anyways I am also trying out a yamaha reciever as well. Yamaha vs Pioneer elite. The pioneer elite has a better sub response but the yammie has a better speaker response. I have to hook up the clone to it to see how the yammie rolls off in comparison. The yammie and peavy together have a -5 dBs point of 4 hz. My pioneer and clone was -5 dBs at 3 hz. So I will find out if it is the yammie or peavy dropping off more. I would challenge anyone to hear or feel the difference though. I told the store that if the 3000 can't run 8 drivers than I am returning it and ordering the 7500.

Hey Dom,
Remember when the Balrog falls after fighting Gandoff? You feel some quiver on your body? Well the rear subs literally wobble the seat arm rests now. It was subtle and now very obvious.
post #2464 of 2469 Old 09-20-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 366
How much do you care about the last 4hz though?

I hate how the DCX and Cleanboxes roll off at 8hz. I happen to like 5hz and certainly 7hz.

I wonder if I shouldn't switch to XLR miniDSP's and leave the DCX for the mids and highs.

The Emotiva UMC-1 was horrid it pops and mutes at 10hz; totally unusable IMO.

No idea what the UMC-200 or DC1 does...
The XSP-1 and Oppo 105 is good to 1-2hz though.

I wonder how the XMC-1's XLR does?

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #2465 of 2469 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I was just comparing the raw responses to each other. I don't have an Emotiva product. I tried their DC1 and UMC-1's and even though people say the Sherbourn 7020A is just like the UMC-1, they don't perform even close the same as response, extension, and noise floor goes. Remember I am testing near field and I am getting awesome extension for that. I am not missing the last 4hz, I am down at 3hz or 4hz. Both amps and receivers are flat to 5hz.
post #2466 of 2469 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Good question, had to look this one up...

According to this NASA Lift Off research paper: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a081792.pdf

10-20hz:
>165db ripped eardrums
>160db eardrum damage is likely
153-160db technically safe, but not really recommended still.
153db caused severe discomfort: choking of the throat. hard to breath. severe nervousness. Highest recommend SPL (even with lawyers waived.)
140-150 nervousness is induced
137-145db chest/lung movement noticed, very distracting. Modulated speech. (SPL reached inside Space Shuttle at launch.)
120db all frequencies are clearly audible, and start of annoyances, feel like underwater, nausea-sensitive people affected
105-130 caused a drunken-like condition in math tests

So lets call 153db a full 6 Stars and 5+ some in-between scale... I don't think anybody would want to have a choking experience when watching movies,
perhaps as a short bassheaded system-demo though. That should keep the system builders busy for the next 100 years...
So to hit 153db@20hz from a groundplane SPL perspective, you would need 300 SI or SI equivalent! Notnyt has the most SI equivalents at 16hz with 65...
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by dominguez1; Yesterday at 08:51 AM.
post #2467 of 2469 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
So to hit 153db@20hz from a groundplane SPL perspective, you would need 300 SI or SI equivalent! Notnyt has the most SI equivalents at 16hz with 65...
Ha. That would be an experience.

The old Stereo Integrity demo CRX measured 149.5db at the dash from 20-60Hz IIRC. That was straight up uncomfortable...
post #2468 of 2469 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 182
v17.1 of the ULF Calculator now available. Posts 1 & 2 now updated.
Archaea's new ULF Card:

Sold his beloved Captivators and switched to the dark side...8 Sealed Ultimax 18s! Quite an upgrade if you ask me, as his previous score had him only to 20hz (Cap 20hz tune), and no subs nearfield.

Here are the latest Member scores:

Member ULF Stars

Member ULF Scores

Member ULF SI Equivalents

Member Tactile Feedback FX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ULF Card - Archaea.png
Views:	27
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	273929  

post #2469 of 2469 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Ha, calling me out eh?

Somebody said something about cookies and I was there.

I have four buttkicker mini lfe units too...have had them for a couple years, not sure how much they count as a tactile feedback score, but you can't run them on max, because they will shake more than I want or need--- so they are pretty capable.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Last edited by Archaea; Yesterday at 08:07 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Epik Empire , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Seaton Sound Submersive H P

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page