AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@pennynike1

Alex may have a seat near the top of this list with his new setup --- coming out of nowhere with his new home theater he is building.

Four Seaton Terraforms (8 - 18"s in a ported enclosure tuned to 12hz?)
Two Danley designed B-Deaps (4 - 12" in a horn designed to play 35hz and up http://www.soundphysics.com/SPL-BDEAP32.html)
Two Ricci designed Othorns (2 - 21"s in a 35hz and up world beater designed horn )

All powered by SpeakerPower amps, in a room that is 13' wide by x' long. Alex can perhaps provide the length, which I think is still under consideration as he may shorten his space. I have to think that at 15z this system is going to be top 5? or top 10, and at 35hz and up it's going to be nearly unrivaled on these boards ---- assuming it all comes together.

He needs it, dude literally eats bass for breakfast. We were tapping out when he was in town and he was just getting warmed up!
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2775 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 1746

Wow... a hard hat and cup will be required for demo night with such a system!
post #2763 of 2775 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
@pennynike1

Alex may have a seat near the top of this list with his new setup --- coming out of nowhere with his new home theater he is building.

Two Danley designed B-Deaps (4 - 12" in a horn designed to play 35hz and up http://www.soundphysics.com/SPL-BDEAP32.html)
Two Ricci designed Othorns (2 - 21"s in a 35hz and up world beater designed horn )

All powered by SpeakerPower amps, in a room that is 13' wide by x' long. Alex can perhaps provide the length, which I think is still under consideration as he may shorten his space. I have to think that at 15z this system is going to be top 5? or top 10, and at 35hz and up it's going to be nearly unrivaled on these boards ---- assuming it all comes together.
You should re-check the numbers for the othorn at 25hz...

Even before I upgraded the drivers in mine, they still had more output at 25hz than the Ghorns in my room...
post #2764 of 2775 Old Today, 09:02 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
I hope this is concrete construction, with a well built ceiling support system, with no additional house weight above (like another story). That is not only damaging amounts of bass, it is devastating Awesome.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #2765 of 2775 Old Today, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
new sub arrived today (and it's too late to set it up!) so I was curious how it shaped it on a scorecard, it's a dual UXL-18 sub in a 190L cabinet so I wasn't sure how to list it other than just put 2 against the driver and fill in the costs from there. I'm in the UK so translated the final GBP cost to USD (albeit driver + amp were imported from North America).
Very nice! Great components. Here is a pic of your ULF Card.

Have a pic of the setup?

Been busy with Holiday stuff, but updates soon to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ULF Score - 3lld00d.png
Views:	70
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	438890  
post #2766 of 2775 Old Today, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
@pennynike1

Wow...this will definitely be one of the top, could be the top dog at the 12.5hz range. Aren't the Terraforms tuned to 11hz?

Anyone have a sim of the Terraform? I can estimate if I have one.

Even though I don't calculate frequencies that high, I have to think he'd be the top dog 35hz and up; dual othorns and the danleys? Crazy...
post #2767 of 2775 Old Today, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Very nice! Great components. Here is a pic of your ULF Card.

Have a pic of the setup?
Thanks

There is a pic over in Aiming for 110dB @ 5Hz and some sweeps showing reasonably flat extension down to 5Hz in Aiming for 110dB @ 5Hz (stopped at 100-105dB, door frame was complaining)

pics of the room itself (albeit with my old sub)

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	438954

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	438946

Last edited by 3ll3d00d; Today at 09:45 AM.
post #2768 of 2775 Old Today, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
and at 35hz and up it's going to be nearly unrivaled on these boards
As the point of a wide range system is a flat, or often tilted up response on the bottom, tons of excess output at 35Hz and up is useful, how?
post #2769 of 2775 Old Today, 12:52 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
As the point of a wide range system is a flat, or often tilted up response on the bottom, tons of excess output at 35Hz and up is useful, how?
Showing off at demos. Movies and music have plenty >35hz.

Still pretty cool, imo.
Archaea likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #2770 of 2775 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Drum kicks that hit so hard they blur your vision and can make you feel sick.
Archaea likes this.
post #2771 of 2775 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 939
95% of recorded music

As well as "cave your skull in" spl level demos of older movies with lots of 40hz content like this:
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0171363/

Do you go to the crotch rocket forums and ask why someone has increased their top speed from factory 190mph to 210mph with aftermarket parts?

You know the answer before you even ask!

"Because, I can."
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #2772 of 2775 Old Today, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
95% of recorded music

As well as "cave your skull in" spl level demos of older movies with lots of 40hz content like this:
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0171363/

Do you go to the crotch rocket forums and ask why someone has increased their top speed from factory 190mph to 210mph with aftermarket parts?

You know the answer before you even ask!

"Because, I can."
I'm pretty sure his point was something like this:
Increasing output at 35Hz, for most of us, is not analogous to increasing the top speed on a superbike. It's more like swapping in a much higher flow fuel pump on that superbike. Sure, you've got more headroom in that one specific spot. But that one specific spot wasn't your weakest spot anyway. The change did not increase your top speed. Or back to what we're really talking about, the change did not increase your top volume knob position. Because most of us are over-served at 35Hz anyway.
It's pretty hard to argue one way or another without having a lot more specifics of the installation. Maybe that particular installation has something unusual going on, and 35Hz IS the area that needed more help. It just isn't normally.
post #2773 of 2775 Old Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
I'm pretty sure his point was something like this:
Increasing output at 35Hz, for most of us, is not analogous to increasing the top speed on a superbike. It's more like swapping in a much higher flow fuel pump on that superbike. Sure, you've got more headroom in that one specific spot. But that one specific spot wasn't your weakest spot anyway. The change did not increase your top speed. Or back to what we're really talking about, the change did not increase your top volume knob position. Because most of us are over-served at 35Hz anyway.
It's pretty hard to argue one way or another without having a lot more specifics of the installation. Maybe that particular installation has something unusual going on, and 35Hz IS the area that needed more help. It just isn't normally.
It's at 35hz and up not just in that region of bass, meaning that the usable bass for almost all music will have crazy amounts of headroom. The kick in your chest feeling will be there in spades.

You are making it sound like he will just have a boost right at 35hz.
Archaea likes this.
post #2774 of 2775 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

It's at 35hz and up not just in that region of bass, meaning that the usable bass for almost all music will have crazy amounts of headroom. The kick in your chest feeling will be there in spades.

You are making it sound like he will just have a boost right at 35hz.
Perhaps I sacrificed a little too much clarity for the sake of brevity. Find/Replace 35Hz with 35-120Hz.
post #2775 of 2775 Old Today, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Hey Dom.. It's been awhile since I visited this thread. Anyway just wanted to update my system. So I notice there's data fo JTR 215's. I've added 2 215RT and 1 215RM to my existing system. And I forgot to mentioned back then that I'm on a second level suspended floor. I don't know if that makes any difference. Anyway FWIW this is my last REW run with the 3 215's and the 4 S2's. Will be adding more subs soon. Mainly horn subs..

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...7&d=1411893255

Last edited by rhed; Today at 09:20 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
ae ib15 subwoofer , Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Bowers Wilkins Asw 610 , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , Elemental Designs A7s 450 , Epik Empire , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Klipsch Sw 311 , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page