How do I connect this driver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm replacing the driver in my subwoofer with this Infinity 1060w. My old driver used a spring tab connection, but I'm not familiar with this type of connection. I mean, the holes lead me to believe the positive/negative wires feed into the respective metal tab, but then what? Is that it? Is there anything that needs to be done to secure the wire into the hole? I know, I'm an idiot. Thank you for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Wire does't go into the hole, it looks like a fairly standard crimp type connector http://www.parts-express.com/cat/solderless-crimp-terminals/65

You sure that driver is compatible with the old one? You did say you were an idiot... smile.gif

post #3 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know of several people who have been replacing their eD drivers with these Infinity's. The only thing I could find showed someone putting the wire into the hole and soldering it. I didn't really want to go that route. lol. I had a feeling it was something similar to what you are suggesting, I just figured the speaker would have came with them if so. Should have figured not.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're comfortable with following that kind of lead as being a good idea....

What do you know about the compatibility of the amp/driver other than others are trying it? Your driver went out? Not the amp?

post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

There's a guy on here who fixes amps for a living. I've sent him mine to fix, as have a host of others. He recommended the driver to me. He has done it himself with these amps and has been very pleased with the results; saying it sounds better than the original driver, and the amp and driver have lasted much longer.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

That the eD amp guy who has picked up the slack since eD went byebye? So nothing went wrong with the old driver, you're just trying a different driver? Just curious....

post #7 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

His handle is daveds50. He was doing warranty repairs for eD when they were in business, so it might be who you are referring to. Well I'm on my 2nd eD driver. The first driver was making the amp make a clicking sound. I sent the amp in and it checked out fine. I had him rebuild it with better quality components since he had it. This made us think it may be the driver causing it. Not long after, the amp totally went. I sent it back for repair. I had another eD driver on hand, so I put that one in. The sound difference was night and day, so I know the first was definitely damaged. I've been using the seond for a couple of months, but now I'm hearing the clicking again. So, I'm going to try replacing the driver in hopes that it saves the amp from damage again. If I hear no clicks for a while, I'll figure it was the driver. The eD thread is starting to get more and more people saying their drivers are taking out their amps.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I called Infinity and the rep told me the wire actually does go through the holes and wraps around the terminal. Hmmm.....
post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2377 View Post

I called Infinity and the rep told me the wire actually does go through the holes and wraps around the terminal. Hmmm.....

Yeah, that's the guy I was referring to.

I'd still rather have a connection that wasn't permanent (like soldering), so I'd probably figure out a way to do that either with a crimp connection like I linked or by inserting another type of connector on the wire soldered to the driver terminal....be careful if you solder...

post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm definitely not soldering. lol. My cousin gave me a couple crimp connectors like you linked me to, but they don't fit on the terminals. I guess I'm going to have to strip a little more wire free and wire it through the hole and tie it off. I would prefer a crimp connector, but it just wouldn't slide on.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Just need the right size, probably if you measured Parts Express customer service could help...anxious to get it back together? smile.gif

post #12 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ummm....yeah, can you tell? lol. I went to one of the home improvement stores tonight to look. They had some with different widths and gauge sizes, but the crimp "clearance" looked the same on all the ones they had as the one I took with me. Frustrated! lol
post #13 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2377 View Post

Ummm....yeah, can you tell? lol. I went to one of the home improvement stores tonight to look. They had some with different widths and gauge sizes, but the crimp "clearance" looked the same on all the ones they had as the one I took with me. Frustrated! lol

like i mentioned in my PM response to you, auto parts stores have all kinds of sizes. at a local Autozone, i found the exact ones you need. sorry, i used them all and forgot the size. i am thinking they were 4mm... but i could be wrong.

yeah, there have been quite a few people replacing speakers with the Infinity References, and not only eD speakers, with excellent results. i even replaced an eD 3.8 on my computer with a 8 inch Reference. night and day difference. my 3.8 started coming apart like yours was, and eventually blew up my amp a few times... even though it still measured 4 ohms.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page