Tutorial: Dual sub integration using the MiniDSP - Page 9 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 252 Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Davey, sorry if this was covered, have you tried exporting REW sweep to the Mini and let it set it up, then adjust the biquad settings from there if you don't like what you hear.


its always better to cut than add boost at a certain fq, that said I have a hump a 40hz, and regardless of what I cut or add it will remain until I add another sub, which is coming soon
I use XTZ room analyzer and it does not allow direct import, but it gives you your room mode correction values to input manually. I've done that and reduced a peak pre Audyssey.

I changed location of one sub again and I think I have it better now.

Primarily now I'm trying to find someone who is familiar wit this product and wiling to give me values to try and increase the mid bass punch.

I'm realy green, and don't even know what frequencies mid bass is, I just know I like it. I'd like to 'feel' the gun shots and stuff more.

Can someone give me a suggestion of:
Filter Type
Q value
+\- DB value
Frequency(s)
That I could input in miniDsp to see if it gives more mid Bass?
DaveyMac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 252 Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 AM
Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Signal Mtn
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The lower the value of "Q" the tighter the bass, mid bass 50hz to 150hx approx. If your getting a flat response increase across the board slowly, too much boost can cause distortion


for $10 you can get the 2.1 plugin on the minidsp site, it will allow you export the REW to the plugin, it makes it extremely easy.
DaveyMac likes this.
Gorilla Killa is offline  
post #243 of 252 Old 04-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If I make changes to plug in screen (add some filters) and then hook up minidsp to computer and hit sync - are said changes supposed to go on it right then?

Because it's not on mine. I've ran room graphs before and after making lots of changes to dsP and the graphs are identical.

I also noticed anytime I do hit green sync button it disappears. The only way to get it back is to unplug and plug the usb.

Currently I have minidsp hooked up to subs properly. I know this because I can adjust gains while its in sync. I have it being powered with a usb to standard wall plug in dongle.

When I want to hook it to computer, I simply unplug the usb on minidsp and plug in another one that has a long enough cord to reach to my laptop.
DaveyMac is online now  
post #244 of 252 Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 AM
Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Signal Mtn
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If the sync button is gone, then your sync'd, try the link below, this is the short and quick way to set up. Jerry Austin did a great write up on REW look into that. Im far from an expert on REW or the miniDSP, but Ive been where you are, I found spending time and going thru the motions was helpful.






http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...q-step-by-step
Gorilla Killa is offline  
post #245 of 252 Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post


I use XTZ room analyzer and it found no room modes. It did show a rather wide peak at about 40hz, so I added two PEQ's to the MiniDsp to tame that.

This graph PINK LINE is with Q Control on my actual subs set to max Q0.7
BLUE LINE is with Q Control set to Q0.3
I'm assuming Q0.3/blue line is better here? Since the front part of line is closer to back.

I'm at a total loss though. Gunshots in movies sound weak and it just seems like it lacks oomph.

If you have advice on a filter to add - I would be very grateful if you shared it. I'm clueless on this stuff so I'd need to know Filter type, Q factor, db's, and Frequency.

Please - any suggestion is welcome.
Davey,

You've got a ~12-13db dip from ~65-150hz, this is where the "meat" of mid-bass resides. This suckout could very well be a null and no amount of EQ will help, therefore you need to try to flatten that section with sub/speaker/MLP placement, time/phase alignment before you're going to have good mid-bass response.

What are your mains? Have you tried measuring away from the MLP (Main Listening Position), and if so, do you get a significantly different response?

Also, the punch-in-the-chest mid-bass you're looking for doesn't really become noticeable until pretty high SPL levels. What MV (Master Volume) level are you listening at? I only ask because your graph was taken at a very low SPL.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is offline  
post #246 of 252 Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Davey,

You've got a ~12-13db dip from ~65-150hz, this is where the "meat" of mid-bass resides. This suckout could very well be a null and no amount of EQ will help, therefore you need to try to flatten that section with sub/speaker/MLP placement, time/phase alignment before you're going to have good mid-bass response.

What are your mains? Have you tried measuring away from the MLP (Main Listening Position), and if so, do you get a significantly different response?

Also, the punch-in-the-chest mid-bass you're looking for doesn't really become noticeable until pretty high SPL levels. What MV (Master Volume) level are you listening at? I only ask because your graph was taken at a very low SPL.

My system is 5.2.2 front heights. All HSU bookshelves and center, HSU VTF3 MK5's for the subs.
The 'suckout' seems to be everywhere. I've made radical changes to the subplacement and measured in other places.


Can someone with minidsp confirms this works:


1. Your minidsp is NOT hooked up to your computer
2. You make some changes on plugin application on your computer
3. You THEN unplug minidsp from your system and plug it into computer
4. You hit 'sync' button - and voila all changes are on there.


Is that how it works? Because that's what I'm doing. And no changes are apparently being stored, because before and after graphs are identical.


I'm starting to wonder if you have to hook up minidsp to computer and hit sync - and then and only then make changes - then go hook it up to system. I.e. you have to make changes while it's hooked up and synced or they don't stick?


If anyone has done it the numbered way above, let me know. Then I will know I just have faulty minidsp.
DaveyMac is online now  
post #247 of 252 Old 04-13-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
My system is 5.2.2 front heights. All HSU bookshelves and center, HSU VTF3 MK5's for the subs.
The 'suckout' seems to be everywhere. I've made radical changes to the subplacement and measured in other places.
Hmmm....what mic are you using?

If the suckout is everywhere, you've either got a very unique room or there is a problem with your speakers or your measuring equipment. I would suspect the measuring equipment/setup.

You could try some nearfield measurements of your speakers just to rule out any issues with the speakers themselves.


Quote:
Can someone with minidsp confirms this works:


1. Your minidsp is NOT hooked up to your computer
2. You make some changes on plugin application on your computer
3. You THEN unplug minidsp from your system and plug it into computer
4. You hit 'sync' button - and voila all changes are on there.


Is that how it works? Because that's what I'm doing. And no changes are apparently being stored, because before and after graphs are identical.


I'm starting to wonder if you have to hook up minidsp to computer and hit sync - and then and only then make changes - then go hook it up to system. I.e. you have to make changes while it's hooked up and synced or they don't stick?


If anyone has done it the numbered way above, let me know. Then I will know I just have faulty minidsp.
Can't help you there, I've never made any changes "offline".
DaveyMac likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is offline  
post #248 of 252 Old 04-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hmmm....what mic are you using?

If the suckout is everywhere, you've either got a very unique room or there is a problem with your speakers or your measuring equipment. I would suspect the measuring equipment/setup.

You could try some nearfield measurements of your speakers just to rule out any issues with the speakers themselves.




Can't help you there, I've never made any changes "offline".
But have you made changes offline on plugin screen, then hooked up and hit sync?
Maybe that's the problem, maybe changes only stick if you make them while its synced.
DaveyMac is online now  
post #249 of 252 Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 957
No, as I said I have never worked "offline" with the MiniDSP...I have always been "synched" when making changes.
DaveyMac likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is offline  
post #250 of 252 Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm getting closer to a good even output! The graph below shows a dip around 130hz. I was able to bump it 8hz in minidsp so it looks flatter now.

Ive read some posts that seem to frown on adding DBs with minidsp, but it worked well for me.

DaveyMac is online now  
post #251 of 252 Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Well, if you boosted it and it worked, then it is not a true null. However, you have probably cut into your headroom. Have you noticed any loss of headroom since??

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is offline  
post #252 of 252 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been searching all over the Internet for tips on using minidsp. I've seen a few posts and even pictures showing a low pass and high pass filter added.

I'm having a hard time grasping how they work and exactly what they do. I've seen the low pass filter put at 80hz with a 24db butter worth. I'm guessing that is making it so the sub does not output anything over 80hz. Is this a good thing to do? Or should I not worry about them other than making sure they are fully bypassed?
DaveyMac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off