Modestly priced subwoofer for huge space - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I don't remember where I read it exactly, but it was explained in a post by one of the staff over at Audioholics (can't remember who) that in order to get considered for product of the year, you have to submit your product for nomination. But hey, if you think I am just making up stuff, go shoot Gene DellaSala an email asking him about how products of the year are decided and how many entries were submitted for their 2012 subwoofers. It's a very simple matter to prove me wrong, it would only take 5 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

The -3 dB spec on your speakers is 85Hz. You usually want to set your crossover above this number, so for you 100 Hz would probably work.

It turns out even 100 would be too low; the f3 isn't so good as 85 Hz. Probably 120 would be more appropriate.
post #63 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

It turns out even 100 would be too low; the f3 isn't so good as 85 Hz. Probably 120 would be more appropriate.

Thanks. Measurements are definitely better than manufacturer's specs. If he sets it at 120, that argues even more for placing the subs up front so you don't localize them.

post #64 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

What is f3?
post #65 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The f3 is in the low end roll off where the frequency response is 3 dB down, in other words it's where the speaker starts running out of gas in the bass region.
post #66 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Does that still leave me OK or should I deal with that somehow? What about using my current Dayton 10" sub as a midbass (I thought it was 12", but that was wrong) along with the VF15? I'd imagine I would need to filter out it's bottom end, but might I be able to use that with good results?
post #67 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 28
Just cross your mains over at 100hz. It's not going to be a huge difference compared to 80hz in terms of being able to localize your sub, especially if you get duals.
post #68 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn View Post

Just cross your mains over at 100hz. It's not going to be a huge difference compared to 80hz in terms of being able to localize your sub, especially if you get duals.

this...also you can cascade both the avr and sub cross at 100hz and his will make the roll off steeper past the cross point. It actually works very well. I believe Bill Fitzmaurice recomends it, especially on systems that utilize small driver main speakers
post #69 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

It turns out my mains are actually Klipsch RB-51's, not 41's like I posted. I remember considering both when I bought them and I think because my center channel is the Klipsch RC-41 II, I was thinking they were all 4". Boy, do I feel stupid. At least that turns out to be good news and, while I can't find a FR graph for them, they must go a fair bit lower than the 41's (Klipsch says down to 50Hz). So that should alleviate my concerns.

I guess I am going to go with two of the VH15's then. I also just noticed that Power Sound Audio is located about 15 minutes away from me. Maybe they will give some kind of discount if I pick them up instead of them shipping them.

Anyway, I now need to read up on how to set them up properly. If you have any good links regarding set up, please post them. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.
post #70 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post

It turns out my mains are actually Klipsch RB-51's, not 41's like I posted. I remember considering both when I bought them and I think because my center channel is the Klipsch RC-41 II, I was thinking they were all 4". Boy, do I feel stupid. At least that turns out to be good news and, while I can't find a FR graph for them, they must go a fair bit lower than the 41's (Klipsch says down to 50Hz). So that should alleviate my concerns.

In that case, you can cross the fronts at 80 and the center at 100.
Quote:
I also just noticed that Power Sound Audio is located about 15 minutes away from me. Maybe they will give some kind of discount if I pick them up instead of them shipping them.

This is pretty much a no brainer reason to go PSA. I'm sure that you'll get a discount for pick up and imagine how easy it would be to get support.
post #71 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post

I guess I am going to go with two of the VH15's then. I also just noticed that Power Sound Audio is located about 15 minutes away from me. Maybe they will give some kind of discount if I pick them up instead of them shipping them.

Anyway, I now need to read up on how to set them up properly. If you have any good links regarding set up, please post them. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.

I believe Tom would discount them to you if you can pick them up to offset the state tax you'll have to pay on them. Anyone out of state doesn't pay the tax.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #72 of 77 Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up buying one XV-15. I was going to get two, but I just found out my dog needs some surgery and that takes priority. I might add a second one later on.

So far all I can say is that this thing is awesome! Keep in mind I was using a Dayton 10" until now and I don't have much experience with subs, but this thing just blows the Dayton away. I know that's to be expected, but I didn't expect there to be this large of a difference. Especially in my huge space. While watching movies, there are rumbles and pulses that you can feel in your chest. And I don't even have it calibrated yet. Just plugged it in, turned the gain and crossover to half and turned it on. Thanks so much to all of you for your feedback and advice. I really appreciate it.

No buyer's remorse here. Definitely $800 well spent! Can't wait to get it calibrated with my receiver.
post #73 of 77 Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Turn the crossover all the way up on the sub and set the avr to crossover at 80hz. That way you do not have two crossovers filtering. That is a nice sub and enjoy!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #74 of 77 Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Turn the crossover all the way up on the sub and set the avr to crossover at 80hz. That way you do not have two crossovers filtering. That is a nice sub and enjoy!

There is nothing wrong with using 2 crossovers for filtering. Many AVR's have a shallow roll off on the LPF(12db) that allows alot of higher frequencies to pass through, which can lead to localization. Cascading both crossovers will filter out those higher frequencies and imo the sub sounds better. You can actually get away with crossing up around 100hz with no localizatiin issues. I have measured and tested this method and it works well on contrary to what the internet says. Bill Fitzmaurice is who I got the tip from. smile.gif
post #75 of 77 Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I personally do not want 100Hz going to the sub. All of my speakers can handle that without issue. I feel there is no reason for the sub to have 100Hz going to it.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #76 of 77 Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I personally do not want 100Hz going to the sub. All of my speakers can handle that without issue. I feel there is no reason for the sub to have 100Hz going to it.

my POINT is even with your crossover in the AVR set to 80hz your sub is getting frequencies clear out to 120-150hz. If you cascade the crossovers and set the sub @ 80 and AVR @ 80, you will notice a big difference and not much will pass thru. I previously crossed my subs at 60hz until I seen Bill F. mention to try cascading crossovers. Now I have the subs set back to 80hz, I get plenty of mid bass slam with music and no low voice rumbles watching TV. Where previously only using the AVR crossover I could not find a sweet spot for both sources.
post #77 of 77 Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

my POINT is even with your crossover in the AVR set to 80hz your sub is getting frequencies clear out to 120-150hz. If you cascade the crossovers and set the sub @ 80 and AVR @ 80, you will notice a big difference and not much will pass thru. I previously crossed my subs at 60hz until I seen Bill F. mention to try cascading crossovers. Now I have the subs set back to 80hz, I get plenty of mid bass slam with music and no low voice rumbles watching TV. Where previously only using the AVR crossover I could not find a sweet spot for both sources.
+1, If it works better for you that's what matters, not blind adherence to a protocol that isn't even necessarily a technically sound one.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page